Home & Garden

12 year old AC frozen coils. Fix or replace?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2022 10:01 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5358 posts
761 upvotes

12 year old AC frozen coils. Fix or replace?

I'm not the original owner, serial number indicates it's 12 years old. The coil freezes. I checked and it's not dirty after it's thawed. Furnace filter and furnace is new so that's unlikely the issue. Is it worth trying to fix or get a new one? A new basic one is under $3000. I'm thinking if I get it fixed I might only get a few years out of it
15 replies
Sr. Member
May 12, 2003
935 posts
342 upvotes
IMO, and others can chime in as well.

From what I remember, the coil freezes because here's low gas in the AC. Fill that up first to see if that fixes the issue.

I had this about 4 years ago and filling the gas fixed it for me.

Cost me about $100
Newbie
Jan 31, 2020
74 posts
121 upvotes
ssj4_ootaku wrote: IMO, and others can chime in as well.

From what I remember, the coil freezes because here's low gas in the AC. Fill that up first to see if that fixes the issue.

I had this about 4 years ago and filling the gas fixed it for me.

Cost me about $100

If a system is low on charge , it has a leak …. It doesn’t run out if refrigerant - it leaks it

Even if you top it up , it’ll just leak out and freeze again

If the furnace is new , they might not have set the “dip switches “ up …. They control the fan speed …. If the fans not set high enough , itlll freeze aswell

Frozen coil is essentially one of two things …. Poor air flow from the dip switches not set properly , or a plugged filter .

Or a system low in charge , due to a leak ….
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5358 posts
761 upvotes
I feel like my new furnace airflow is kind of been low. How do I check the dip switches? It's a Goodman GMEC960603BN
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3470 posts
1892 upvotes
Woodbridge
Try contacting Goodman @1-888-593-9988. Depending on the tech who picks, he may help the "home onwer". Mostly they like to deal with technicians who can easily and safely follow the instructions. They may also send you documentation with the correct setting of DIP switches. Caution has to be exercised when changing DIP switches as they are very very tiny
Oni-kun wrote: I feel like my new furnace airflow is kind of been low. How do I check the dip switches? It's a Goodman GMEC960603BN
HVAC Pro-Committed to customer, not brand. Past RFD Reviews
2022 Central Air Conditioner & Furnace Group Buy
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2006
4739 posts
1643 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
Oni-kun wrote: I feel like my new furnace airflow is kind of been low. How do I check the dip switches? It's a Goodman GMEC960603BN
You said the furnace is new? Sounds like you may be on the right track by increasing airflow. Have you tried calling the company that installed the furnace? They should be able to help out setting an appropriate speed for the A.C..
Member
Dec 31, 2007
478 posts
133 upvotes
ssj4_ootaku wrote: IMO, and others can chime in as well.

From what I remember, the coil freezes because here's low gas in the AC. Fill that up first to see if that fixes the issue.

I had this about 4 years ago and filling the gas fixed it for me.

Cost me about $100
i had the same issue around the 10 year time frame. the o-ring failed and the refrigerant leaked out. the fix was the replace the o-ring/valve and re-charge the refrigerant. i can't re-call the cost, but you shouldn't need to replace the AC just because of a leaking valve. i called four seasons and they came the next day.
Newbie
Jan 31, 2020
74 posts
121 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote: I feel like my new furnace airflow is kind of been low. How do I check the dip switches? It's a Goodman GMEC960603BN

If it’s a newer Goodman , you can download the app and set it up through your phone actually

If not , it’s in the manual …. Very easy to setup , but inexperienced installers always skip setting it up properly
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5358 posts
761 upvotes
Screenshot_20220513-161708_Gallery.jpg
thawed
Screenshot_20220513-161735_Gallery.jpg
Frozen

So after thawing for the past two days I turned it on for about 15 minutes. The airflow seems good and I took an instant read thermometer and measured it in one of those holes above the a coil. It read 59f. Room temperature is 78f. So 26c and 16c. So a 10 degree differential.

What could be wrong that is causing it to freeze up?

Coils don't appear dirty and the filter is new
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5358 posts
761 upvotes
Someone told me the York microcoils are pain to patch if the leak is there
Member
Dec 21, 2020
358 posts
292 upvotes
If the coil itself is Goodman then there was a recent email I got from them for come defective ones. Got to this site and see if your unit is affected. Might get a free replacement.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2006
4739 posts
1643 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
With a proper installation, the furnace installer should have set up the furnace speeds for AC season and heating season. Why aren't you contacting the company that installed the furnace? Was the installer licensed/certified? Did they put an installers tag on the furnace? Hopefully they didn't create a leak. I'd check the exhaust piping joints, and gas piping joints make sure they are sealed properly just in case. Gas pressure should also have been checked and input set.

If you end up replacing the AC, I'd suggest using more reputable company and not shopping only for bottom barrel pricing. The AC needs to be properly sized, vacuumed and charged for a normal service life. You generally get what you pay for.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5358 posts
761 upvotes
fergy wrote: With a proper installation, the furnace installer should have set up the furnace speeds for AC season and heating season. Why aren't you contacting the company that installed the furnace? Was the installer licensed/certified? Did they put an installers tag on the furnace? Hopefully they didn't create a leak. I'd check the exhaust piping joints, and gas piping joints make sure they are sealed properly just in case. Gas pressure should also have been checked and input set.

If you end up replacing the AC, I'd suggest using more reputable company and not shopping only for bottom barrel pricing. The AC needs to be properly sized, vacuumed and charged for a normal service life. You generally get what you pay for.
He's coming to check it tomorrow. To be honest I think the coil froze up one time before I even changed the furnace last September but I just didn't bother getting it checked out until now. It probably wasn't something he did.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 27, 2006
4739 posts
1643 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
Oni-kun wrote: He's coming to check it tomorrow. To be honest I think the coil froze up one time before I even changed the furnace last September but I just didn't bother getting it checked out until now. It probably wasn't something he did.
If the AC uses the discontinued R22 as the refrigerant $$ and its low from a leak, it probably won't be worth fixing. If it uses R410A it may be worth fixing. You can look on the Iidentification plate on the back of the outdoor unit to see the refrigerant type.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 12, 2007
6980 posts
4631 upvotes
Ottawa
Do you have a whole house humidifier? If so, make sure that it's turned off. Excessive humidity can cause this - especially if the system is poorly designed.

Do you have an overly restrictive furnace filter? Try a lower MERV rating and see if that deals with the issue. I inspect my filters monthly during cooling season and replace them when I turn on the a/c in the Spring. I use MERV 8 as I find that anything higher is too restrictive - especially when they get dirty.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
12642 posts
4251 upvotes
Ontario
As others have mentioned its usually caused by low airflow so either blower motor set to low or restrictive furnace filter, Merv 8 seems to be the sweet spot, I use Merv 7. Low Freon level cause by a leak which would need to be repaired (if possible) or replace the AC. Since its already 12 years old I would see what its going to cost to fix it and make a decision from there. If its just a few hundred bucks to repair it then I would do it if its going to cost you around $1,000 to repair I would likely go with a new unit for a bit more that will have warranty.

Make sure you get multiple quotes from honest reliable contractors that won't rip you off. There are highly recommended HVAC contractors here on RFD so if you want recommendations just ask

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)