Expired Hot Deals

[Everbuying] $129 US - DOOGEE Y6 Android 6.0 6.5 inch FHD Screen 4G Phablet Octa Core 1.5GHz 3GB RAM 32GB ROM 13.0MP Rear Camera GP

Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2004
1077 posts
141 upvotes
Kanata
Was considering this for my (13yr old) son, but would probably veer more towards Xiaomi et al., rather than Doogee, from what I'm hearing.
Really, I'm just looking for a decent android phone for him to use as a wi-fi device, with no phone plan.
Anyone have any recommendations? I wouldn't expect something that will compete with my Nexus 6p, but I was hoping that, by subtracting the cellphone part of the phone, I might find something with decent performance for a decent price. Essentially the Android version of an iPod Touch.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2242 posts
595 upvotes
There is no better deal than those ATT GoPhone when on sale.
I bought a pair of ZTE 5.5" for preteens boys as wifi phone and they are still functional 6 months later. It was a pain to get them from the U.S. though.
There are so many 5.5" going for less than $100 at the usual Chinese retailers. Don't buy expensive as I doubt the phone would last more than one year, whatever the quality, in the hand of a preteen...
Sep 8, 2013
92 posts
28 upvotes
Montreal
Exactly. We never had a defective Chinese phone, but my 3 kids broke bunch of them.
Jan 20, 2011
999 posts
588 upvotes
Montreal-Ouest, QC
stunaz wrote: i cant shake the feeling china would have a much better time selling phones if they'd just hire a person to stop them from using idiotic names
And let them know which bands to put on their phones....
Paying full price for an item is a sin. :twisted:
Jan 20, 2011
999 posts
588 upvotes
Montreal-Ouest, QC
wearysky wrote: Like I've said in MULTIPLE posts on this thread - the only reason to consider this phone is if you absolutely need a 6.5" phone.
I would caugh up some more and get a Mi max even a 2gb version will be faster then this phone.
Paying full price for an item is a sin. :twisted:
Aug 20, 2014
14 posts
oshawa on.
Doogee is actually a good manufacturer ive had one for over 2 years works great. I recommend them over low cost phones here in canada, The ones sold here are of lower quality with hi markups.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18155 posts
8017 upvotes
Oakville
miketamm wrote: Doogee is actually a good manufacturer ive had one for over 2 years works great. I recommend them over low cost phones here in canada, The ones sold here are of lower quality with hi markups.
You're one of the very few then (or you absolutely baby your phone). Doogee has a horrible reputation for terrible quality. But nobody is comparing Doogee to low end phones available here any way - this is in comparison to OTHER cheap Chinese brands available from the various gadget shops.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
9081 posts
10292 upvotes
Doogee's Y6 MAX 3D has major GPS issues, the MTK6750T is quite lack luster (40k Antutu Score). Only things going for it are 6.5 Inch Screen, 4300mah Battery and 3D feature. Im assuming the Y6 Max is just the Y6 MAX 3D without the 3D

Check it out for yourselves (esp at 0:30) :

Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2242 posts
595 upvotes
I received the Y6 Max in not even 3 weeks from Banggood.
The first impression is that it looks like the SAMSUNG A series: bland.
Little niggles are the bottom Back button is... the right one. The left one brings up a topical menu. The factory screen protector is slightly too small making the edges a pain to look at.
Installed N Launcher after a factory Android update dated January 2017. Nice.
At this level of price, better forgo using the fingerprint reader unless you are looking for trouble. I have yet to try the problematic GPS.
If you are like me having to overcompensate with XL phones because she said with a couple of inches more to the dipstick it would be perfect, the phone at $129 or less is a buy.
Last edited by andreid on Mar 10th, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18155 posts
8017 upvotes
Oakville
@andreid it's fairly standard for Chinese phones to have the buttons swapped on the bottom. It doesn't take TOO long to get used to, but have a look at the settings. Some of the Chinese manufacturers have a setting in their custom Android skin that lets you swap it.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Sep 8, 2013
92 posts
28 upvotes
Montreal
wearysky wrote: Doogee has a horrible reputation for terrible quality.
No need to push stereotypes bases on limited experience.

After enough usage I can compare the Y6 MAX to my old Galaxy note 3, my daughter's Nexus 6, and my wife's Note 5:

Pros:
Good screen (WOW!!!), premium metal body, memory and speed. Perfect fingerprint. Good enough GPS. Easy to root.

Cons: the camera is far from the new Korean flagships. The android version isn't good choice. No frond LED notification (neither the Nexus). No wireless charging. No NFC.

Conclusion: I never had a better deal for my money. I was expecting some budged looking crap, but got premium feel.
Oct 31, 2013
3 posts
Vancouver
Imago wrote: Nice phone at a good price.
Is buying from Everbuying reliable? I ordered a phone from Geekbuying and it never came at all.