Computers & Electronics

13.5" Framework Laptop (fully upgradeable and repairable) pre-orders open for Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2021 3:12 pm
[OP]
Sep 27, 2009
780 posts
163 upvotes
Calgary

13.5" Framework Laptop (fully upgradeable and repairable) pre-orders open for Canada

The first ever fully upgradeable Ultrabook. You can upgrade the ram, SSD, display and even the mainboard along with the CPU.

Ships July for the vPro option or August for the other configurations. Starts at $999.

More details @ Framework
Hands-On with Framework's Fully Modular Laptop

The laptop is not perfect, but it is a giant leap in the right direction. Ships with its own screwdriver and that's all you need to change/upgrade all the parts if and when is needed.

*TB4 certification is pending from what I read on their forums, the laptop should be capable of full Thunderbolt 4 support.
Last edited by CCorbu on Jun 11th, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
50 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1841 posts
10723 upvotes
Never heard of this but upvoted for repairability.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
1427 posts
1586 upvotes
TORONTO
How good are those? 1000$ for a barebone laptop with no ports or even charger.
[OP]
Sep 27, 2009
780 posts
163 upvotes
Calgary
The ports are cheap and you can choose up to 4 depending on what you need (USB-C, USB-A, HDMI, 8K DisplayPort, Card reader, TB4 in the near future)

The USB-C built in storage modules also allow you to install a separate OS so you can dual boot.
Last edited by CCorbu on Jun 10th, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 5, 2019
869 posts
2610 upvotes
hansdoreen wrote: How good are those? 1000$ for a barebone laptop with no ports or even charger.
Ports
4x User-selectable Expansion Cards
3.5mm combo headphone jack

Biometrics
Fingerprint

Power Adapter
60W USB-C
Dec 23, 2012
125 posts
318 upvotes
looks nice, but expensive. With that price, I could get a top-line laptop without interchangeable components.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2016
1060 posts
2299 upvotes
So typically it's a laptop full of usb-C ports that you gotta plug module in them to render them usable
Thanks OP, bought 25!
(Mod edit: You are awesome)
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2013
1479 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto
Where would u buy the mobo for this as well as the laptop cpu ? To upgrade a few years down the road
Last edited by brensavoyton on Jun 10th, 2021 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 6, 2010
812 posts
1660 upvotes
Toronto
Too bad it's only Intel (and unlikely to come with an AMD option, based on the CEO's comments at 8:54 of the video OP linked to).

I think I'll stick to Thinkpad for the best combination of upgradeability, repairability, and price (some models, not all obviously). And for resale value, too.
i am upside down
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
4683 posts
4488 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: What does Louis think of this?
droidkid wrote: My thoughts exactly
Let's talk about the Framework laptop that {claims to} support right to repair

Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2010
1280 posts
758 upvotes
Waterloo
Fully modular? Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Intel? Disappointed But Relieved Face

I'm kidding (partially) - never heard of this but upvoting because I'm glad to see the concept come to life and hope it goes well for them (also that 3:2 screen, never used one but I really like the idea).
Jan 4, 2021
56 posts
207 upvotes
I have serious doubts that this will be a survivable long term venture for this company. At the end of the day every expansion card and mainboard is proprietary and therefore very expensive to make. I think most users will quickly find that the moment you want to do a platform upgrade (motherboard, cpu, ram) and new expansion cards to take advantage of the new platform (new HDMI or Displayport standards for example) the cost will equal an entire brand new laptop.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1462 posts
359 upvotes
I've been following this since it was announced but the prices are definitely high.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2001
3122 posts
740 upvotes
This is one of those things that will either fail badly or be wildly popular. I'm leaning towards the latter on this one. Some people just like to tinker, something not really previously possible with most laptops.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
19174 posts
22029 upvotes
In the COVID environment, this is attractive.

Post COVID, when we start seeing $299 Ryzen laptops again and fire sales in the midtiers like we once did, this could seriously hurt a new co like this firm. Cracker jack throwaway Windows laptops with reasonable performance are returning once again, as C19 calms down enough for hyper-nanny state Canadian authorities to ease up.

Louis is right about one thing, the biggest impediment to right to repair might be consumer culture. I do believe the niche will continue to thrive, but it will likely remain a niche indefinitely.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Jun 11th, 2021 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
2844 posts
1203 upvotes
Markham
Nice business idea, import parts from china and ask customer to pay premium to assemble by themselves
Not buying something on sale ISN'T a crime, buying something not on sale IS.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3982 posts
2820 upvotes
Vancouver
Kinda cool. But 12th Gen Intel processors will support DDR5 and PCIe 5.0, which means a new motherboard. So I'm not sure it makes much sense to buy this notebook today.