Computers & Electronics

13” or smaller laptop with smallish bezels & battery life, how cheap can I go?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2018 8:08 am
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
2028 posts
2009 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

13” or smaller laptop with smallish bezels & battery life, how cheap can I go?

I’m looking for a laptop and I really only have 4 requirements:

• 13.3" or smaller
  • Core M 7y30 or better
  • Small(ish) bezels
  • Good battery life

Regarding bezels, I don’t need XPS13 levels of bezels, but I would like something close to the new Lenovo Yoga 920 at least, and 7-8 hours of battery life (web browsing, word, email, nothing heavy).
I don't mind refurbs, and I don't mind isntalling my own SSD if required. How much money can I expect to pay, and what is the cheapest option that satisfies those requirements?
8 replies
Sep 14, 2017
190 posts
143 upvotes
Yes, but you won't find 13", lightweight or good battery life for that.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
2028 posts
2009 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
nstlgsnv wrote: Yes, but you won't find 13", lightweight or good battery life for that.
I don't really need it to be light or thin, just small bezels around the screen.
Dec 22, 2017
719 posts
1239 upvotes
I would say save your money for another couple months to spend about $1000. Sometimes it is better to spend good money once than to buy cheap twice.

There are a lot of good deals going on at the $1000 mark right now.
Dec 22, 2017
719 posts
1239 upvotes
I would look at Inspiron 13 5000 line being sold at Microsoft Store, but they don't have a good battery life.

Which is why you really need to go for Surface products or Thinkpad line for a bit more which will get you the full package.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
what exactly is your budget?
The sweetest gyal
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
2028 posts
2009 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
GeneralAkbar wrote: I would say save your money for another couple months to spend about $1000. Sometimes it is better to spend good money once than to buy cheap twice.

There are a lot of good deals going on at the $1000 mark right now.
I agree, but at $1k, I might consider spending like $600 to get a heavy 15.6" ugly laptop instead, its worth the savings.
GeneralAkbar wrote: I would look at Inspiron 13 5000 line being sold at Microsoft Store, but they don't have a good battery life.

Which is why you really need to go for Surface products or Thinkpad line for a bit more which will get you the full package.
The Surface Pros have pretty big bezels, unless you're talking about the Surface Laptop or Surface Book 2, which while they are 13", also 3:2 which makes it kinda massive. I'll have to think some more whether a 3:2 13" screen is for me.
X1 Carbon could be an option though
sexyj wrote: what exactly is your budget?
Do'nt really have one, its kind of an RFD cheapskate budget where I want to know the lowest I can go while still fulfilling the requirements I posted up top. Seems like $1k is the minimum.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)