• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2010 6:43 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 3, 2009
8 posts
Toronto

$13+/hr jobs in Toronto?

Here is a very general question: If I want to find a f/t job that pays $13 or more in Toronto and to find it quickly, where would you recommend looking? (Companies/industries)

I have a business degree and a couple of years of business experience (one in Canada and one is US) but a large gap on my resume because of academic experimentations. I am not picky and would welcome all suggestions. Thanks.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1681 posts
266 upvotes
The Radio Dept. wrote: Factory jobs...general labour. Look on Craigslist.

those probably wont' pay $13?
you probably want to look into construction general labour (if they still aren't saturated yet)
[OP]
Apr 3, 2009
8 posts
Toronto
What about something like waiting tables or retail? Does that pay $13 or more?
Deal Addict
May 4, 2010
1863 posts
582 upvotes
No, most retail most definitely does not pay 13$ or more, you're looking at minimum wage, some places will pay a bit higher but that goes hand in hand with having experience and finding a higher end retail position that isn't clothing or groceries. In which case you better be good at selling b/c it will most likely be commission + minimum wage.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, look into promotions, although the season for it is almost over some campaigns still take place during the fall/winter and it depends on the company as well. You can get paid anywhere from 12.50-22$ an hour depending on experience and the company.
Dec 18, 2008
665 posts
4 upvotes
waterloo
since you have business experience, the best place would be going to a job agency. usually pays you around 13-15 bucks an hour if you are lucky.

otherwise, asking friends is another good way to find a job.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2010
1034 posts
153 upvotes
unless its a real crappy restaurant, waiters and waitresses definitely make more than 13 an hour after tip
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2006
1116 posts
10 upvotes
If you're a bartender you can make around that much when you factor in tips.
Aug 7, 2010
111 posts
1 upvote
A bank.
Anywhere from administrative clerk in HR to teller in a branch will get you around the $13 mark.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12343 posts
4853 upvotes
Toronto
sweetxcliche wrote: A bank.
Anywhere from administrative clerk in HR to teller in a branch will get you around the $13 mark.
A bank doesn't hire anyone just like that if OP want to get easily hired and work ASAP.

Call some personnel recruitment agency, I'm sure they find find you some jobs for 13$ in a day or 2 if you don' mind general labour work.

I used to work for those places when I was younger and looking for summer and part time work.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
1736 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
LOL how sad: ou have to resort to slave labour for a menial 13 dollars an hour... when UFC hump 2010202938 is making millions beating some guy and training his juiced body. very sad times indeed.

do you have your license? if so apply with City of Toronto...

or, you could always join the police force... they need fresh minds to corrupt with power trips.
Nintendo Switch vibes
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4053 posts
450 upvotes
Toronto
General labourer/forklift will pay you anywhere from 13-16 depending on where.
Retail will likely be minimum wage.
Bartender, waiter/waitress can vary based on tips
Security guards generally start at 12
Jun 14, 2010
731 posts
39 upvotes
Edmonton
archdemon wrote: LOL how sad: ou have to resort to slave labour for a menial 13 dollars an hour...
+1

Oh how the mighty Canada has fallen.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2009
1370 posts
381 upvotes
work for the CRA, I'm 20, undergrad student in business and i'm making $20/hr there right now... you got a degree so you can get in easy.
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2008
3153 posts
24 upvotes
I think forklift operators, especially ones working in refrigerated environments can make between $14-$15.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2938 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver
Do house cleaning or transporting at any hospital. You're also in an union. Good stuff.
Aug 7, 2010
111 posts
1 upvote
MP3_SKY wrote: A bank doesn't hire anyone just like that if OP want to get easily hired and work ASAP.

Call some personnel recruitment agency, I'm sure they find find you some jobs for 13$ in a day or 2 if you don' mind general labour work.

I used to work for those places when I was younger and looking for summer and part time work.
I might slightly disagree, only because it all depends on time and place.
I was hired by a bank "just like that" when I was 19 and was working the week following my interview.

I do agree that generally, and for specialized positions especially, that would not be the case. Nevertheless, it wouldn't hurt to keep a door open and try it out.