Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14242 posts
4407 upvotes
Montreal

$135 CAD for a DualShock 5??

Exchange rate aside, it's still $100 USD, as opposed to ~$55 for the DS4, and worst of all, the entire price spike is being attributed to the idiotic "haptic feedback".

Polls on gaming sites show that the majority of people turn off feedback entirely on their controllers (it's too irritating and totally ruins accuracy) and now we have haptics for developers to really abuse for everything from rain to footsteps walking... and we need to pay $135 to get the pleasure of being irritated on a whole new level. If you want immersiveness, then create a VR game, don't make my controller rattle every time I take a step, get hit by a raindrop, or when the wind blows - which is exactly what's being developed right now.

At least the Xbox Series X allows the old controllers to be used, and while there are (likely incorrect) runors of "DS4 for PS4 games" support, there is no chance of DS4 for PS5 games so that means for 4-player games you need to shell out over $400+tx just for 3 controllers, and then hope a nimrod doesn't break one on you. My God, no way are kid relatives/guests playing with my PS5, if I do order one, as it would be a HUGE money sink buying DS5's. The right thing to do is produce a vanilla DS5 for actual gamers at $74 and a haptic-rattling POS for the newbs to gush over while plunking down $135 a pop, but that wouldn't be as profitable.

And I thought Nintendo was bad with hardware prices, but Sony sure showed them who was boss.
Official Response from Dollarama Management:

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.
30 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1862 posts
2069 upvotes
GTA
Sorry, source? Not doubting you read it somewhere, just want to read where its coming from.

I mean the PS5 still isn't a real thing I can buy right now, so... maybe? It could be that price today... Will it be once it launches? Let the console come out and the dust settle and let's see before we get worked up.
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14242 posts
4407 upvotes
Montreal
It's stated as a $100 USD MSRP, and sites are just using the current exchange rate to get a CAD price, which might actually be low because Sony always hits us with a "Canadian Bump" to the US price + exchange.

As for a source on the USD price, look at the Sony blog post on the new DS5.
Official Response from Dollarama Management:

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.
Sep 12, 2012
765 posts
598 upvotes
Toronto
Sony hasn't released any price info on PS5 console/accessories, dont know where you are getting your numbers from.

The MRSP for dualshock 4 is 74.99. Even with added features (haptic feedback, built in mic) the MRSP would probably be 79.99.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1862 posts
2069 upvotes
GTA
JackWhyte wrote: It's stated as a $100 USD MSRP, and sites are just using the current exchange rate to get a CAD price, which might actually be low because Sony always hits us with a "Canadian Bump" to the US price + exchange.

I read the official PlayStation blog post from April 7, is that the one you're referring to?

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2020/04 ... station-5/

It just sounds like typical marketing hyperbole, and I don't see a price anywhere, which would be expected at this point since the console price hasn't even been announced. I think its early to get worked up about the PS5, or Xbox X, specifics until we get official word and hands on.
c'mon get happy!
Oct 19, 2016
191 posts
62 upvotes
I doubt it will be double the price as a Dualshock 4 for Canadian's. I also doubt the "majority" of people turn off rumble on their controllers. I have ~30 friends who have a ps4 and none of them do this. So I think this is a pretty reactionary post to be honest.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1862 posts
2069 upvotes
GTA
Yeah that's true too. I can't speak for gaming site polls, but I've never turned off my rumble feature on any PS console I've owned. There is a good argument to turn it off on the PS4 simply becuse the battery life is so crap, but I never have. I've never found it intrusive during any game yet. But the PS3's Sixaxis, now THAT was useless and intrusive. And also it died an ignomious death whereas rumble continues to be supported.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8284 posts
2743 upvotes
Do you have any credible sources on those statements?
Why would any company announce the price of the controller before the price of the system this far away from the console launch?

Vibration and force feedback are great. It makes aspects like brawling in Streets of Rage 4, different guns in
Modern Warfare, etc, feel much more impactful than they would otherwise.
Last edited by XFactor11 on May 25th, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2007
1151 posts
232 upvotes
Its all BS without a confirm source.
Feb 1, 2013
218 posts
123 upvotes
Lol at the blatant attempt of a FUD campaign. Thought this stuff only went on in gamer message boards.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4066 posts
1158 upvotes
Toronto
JackWhyte wrote: It's stated as a $100 USD MSRP, and sites are just using the current exchange rate to get a CAD price, which might actually be low because Sony always hits us with a "Canadian Bump" to the US price + exchange.

I'm not seeing anything here: Sony DualSense Announcement
You're not even quoting the correct name of the controller, so maybe let's cool it on the rumours until we've got more info or credible sources. Most publications online are speculating this to be around $60-70 USD at most.

Also, the "Haptic Feedback" stuff is all just marketing speak that Sony is just trying to repackage. It's likely not that different from the Xbox One's rumble/"Impulse triggers", or the Nintendo Switch's "HD Rumble"
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5256 posts
936 upvotes
calgary
Imagine getting outraged by placeholder price.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1862 posts
2069 upvotes
GTA
SpicYMchaggis wrote: Imagine getting outraged by placeholder price.
I mean, that would be cool if there was a placeholder price listed to begin that was cause one to be triggered in the first place. But I can't even find a placeholder in a blog or tweet or from a sketchy-looking guy in an alleyway...
c'mon get happy!
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10517 posts
1748 upvotes
Toronto

You're reading info from sites that just want clicks.

There's no info on pricing anywhere at all. Stop reading any of this crap until Sony actually announces what they need to.

I don't even understand why but there's people constantly releasing concept images they made themselves, it's stupid really.

Are you going to come back and complain when Sony announces that the console is going to probably be 599.99?