PC & Video Games

$135 CAD for a DualShock 5??

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2020 12:36 pm
Tags:
May 29, 2020
4 posts
Has it been confirmed that DualShock 4 will not be compatible with PS5? It would be a shame if they couldn’t work with at least some games
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2167 posts
825 upvotes
Scarborough
Gunz13 wrote: 599 CAD would actually be a great price. Face With Tears Of Joy
Expect the PS5 to be 650-700 CAD on launch.
I'm expecting 399/499usd = ~549 cad/679 cad.
Tangerine
Simplii
Freedom Mobile
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10576 posts
2447 upvotes
Victoria
BrandonK478 wrote: Has it been confirmed that DualShock 4 will not be compatible with PS5? It would be a shame if they couldn’t work with at least some games
Isn't that normal? I don't think the ps3 controllers worked on the ps4? I was also really bummed that the ps3 media remote didn't work on the ps4. Sony never released an official one for the ps4. The one they officially licensed wasn't nearly as good :(
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5313 posts
2288 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote: Isn't that normal? I don't think the ps3 controllers worked on the ps4? I was also really bummed that the ps3 media remote didn't work on the ps4. Sony never released an official one for the ps4. The one they officially licensed wasn't nearly as good :(
There's really no reason why it can't work across generations - the underlying tech is the same, the number of buttons is pretty much the same, and the additions they made won't really be a huge factor for most games.

MS has already come out saying that their current controllers will work on this gen and next gen so I think people are just waiting for Sony to follow suit.
Last edited by M1GOmigs on Jun 18th, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5578 posts
5797 upvotes
GTA
zod wrote: Isn't that normal? I don't think the ps3 controllers worked on the ps4? I was also really bummed that the ps3 media remote didn't work on the ps4. Sony never released an official one for the ps4. The one they officially licensed wasn't nearly as good :(
Yeah the last time Sony controllers were (mostly) compatible was PlayStation and PlayStation 2. But I think the PS4 controller works on the PS3, just not vice-versa.
They had 2 PS4 remotes and the first was that licensed PDP garbage. I bought it for $10 clearance and it doesn't work properly, always loses connection. Not sure how good the Cloud remote is, but I ended up buying some eBay remote which works fine and doesn't even use a USB dongle.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5578 posts
5797 upvotes
GTA
M1GOmigs wrote: There's really no reason why it can't work across generations - the underlying tech is the same, the number of buttons is pretty much the same, and the additions they made won't really be a huge factor for most games.

MS has already come out saying that their consoles will work on this gen and next gen so I think people are just waiting for Sony to follow suit.
The touchpad is the big difference. Few games might use the touch feature itself, but it also acts as a button. The PS3 had the PS button, Select and Start. The PS4 has PS, Share, Options and the Touchpad, so you're missing a whole button. You're missing 2 buttons in some games since I've seen it used as a left and right button on the one pad.
Since the DualSense has a touchpad, I suppose it should be backwards compatible, and possibly forwards. But the same argument can be made for Nintendo products too, it seems like the basic control layout and and connectivity hasn't changed a lot since the Wii.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5313 posts
2288 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote: The touchpad is the big difference. Few games might use the touch feature itself, but it also acts as a button. The PS3 had the PS button, Select and Start. The PS4 has PS, Share, Options and the Touchpad, so you're missing a whole button. You're missing 2 buttons in some games since I've seen it used as a left and right button on the one pad.
Since the DualSense has a touchpad, I suppose it should be backwards compatible, and possibly forwards. But the same argument can be made for Nintendo products too, it seems like the basic control layout and and connectivity hasn't changed a lot since the Wii.
I was only talking about between PS4 and PS5... I don't really care if the previous gen controllers don't work since they were crap anyway. Aesthetics aside, they're not really that different. The touchpad seems to work the same there (both as a touchpad and button). The only new additions are the mic (but let's be real most games won't used that, or you can just plug in a mic/headset) and the "haptic feedback" which is just enhanced rumble with more sensitive motors and motors on the triggers.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5578 posts
5797 upvotes
GTA
M1GOmigs wrote: I was only talking about between PS4 and PS5... I don't really care if the previous gen controllers don't work since they were crap anyway. Aesthetics aside, they're not really that different. The touchpad seems to work the same there (both as a touchpad and button). The only new additions are the mic (but let's be real most games won't used that, or you can just plug in a mic/headset) and the "haptic feedback" which is just enhanced rumble with more sensitive motors and motors on the triggers.
Sorry, you did say across generations and his example was with the PS3, so I understood that as PS3/4/5. And I agreed that the DualSense has a touchpad so it should in theory work.
So I guess compatibility depends if Sony feels the haptic feedback is a major enough difference to affect a player's experience? Did MS change anything between generations, like add haptics or such, I'm genuinely asking as I'm not actually sure. If they didn't then sure, theirs should be completely compatible. Sony seems to add something every generation, whether it turns out to be useful or well implemented is something else... Analog buttons, Sixaxis and Touchpad probably weren't that well implemented.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5313 posts
2288 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote: So I guess compatibility depends if Sony feels the haptic feedback is a major enough difference to affect a player's experience? Did MS change anything between generations, like add haptics or such, I'm genuinely asking as I'm not actually sure. If they didn't then sure, theirs should be completely compatible. Sony seems to add something every generation, whether it turns out to be useful or well implemented is something else... Analog buttons, Sixaxis and Touchpad probably weren't that well implemented.
They added the rumble triggers to Xbox One controllers but otherwise the functionality has been the same since 360. I don't think they've actually changed much from this gen to next and even the shape seems to be very similar. The one new addition is a dedicated share button, but there are ways around that through menus or combination of button presses if you don't have the button.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5578 posts
5797 upvotes
GTA
M1GOmigs wrote: They added the rumble triggers to Xbox One controllers but otherwise the functionality has been the same since 360. I don't think they've actually changed much from this gen to next and even the shape seems to be very similar. The one new addition is a dedicated share button, but there are ways around that through menus or combination of button presses if you don't have the button.
Oh yeah I remember that now about the One controller. This gen was the "social media integration" gen lol. I hardly use that button on the PS4, once in a blue moon to take a random screenshot for my PSN profile
c'mon get happy!