• Sep 20th, 2020 1:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8928 posts
1159 upvotes
Montreal, QC

14 day quarantine for domestic travel?

Title is pretty self explanatory. If I travel domestically, must I quarantine for 14 days on arrival at my destination? What about on my return to my original point in Canada?

The border website does not mention any quarantine period for travel within Canada even though there could be a connecting international passenger on your domestic flight, but I thought I would check.
As of March 30, 2020, all passengers flying in Canada will be subject to a health check prior to boarding.

You will not be permitted to board if you:

show any symptoms of COVID-19 or
have been refused boarding in the past 14 days due to a medical reason related to COVID-19 or
are subject to a provincial or local public health order

This also applies to travellers arriving from outside Canada.

If you are arriving from outside Canada and are deemed safe to fly, you may board a connecting flight to your destination. However, upon arrival at your final destination, you must go directly to the place where you will isolate, and remain there for 14 days. This is because you are still at risk of developing symptoms and infecting others.

You may be subject to additional provincial or territorial public health measures at your final destination.

If you have symptoms of COVID-19, you will not be allowed to board any flight until:

14 days have passed or
you present a medical certificate confirming that your symptoms are not related to COVID-19

If you have signs or symptoms consistent with COVID-19, you will not be allowed to use public transportation to travel to the place where you will isolate.
80 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4724 posts
2054 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
No quarantine required for wholly-domestic travel but it (or, at least, as much self-isolation as possible) probably wouldn't be a bad idea if you are a responsible citizen.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15486 posts
4619 upvotes
London
MB has a 14 day self isolate rule:

https://manitoba.ca/covid19/protection/soe.html

In general, anyone arriving in Manitoba is required to self-isolate for 14-days upon arrival to reduce the spread of COVID-19. However, there are exceptions to this requirement specified in the order.

In particular, Manitoba residents who have travelled to "western Canada* or "northwestern Ontario** are exempt from the self-isolation requirements when they return to Manitoba if they have not travelled outside of western Canada or northwestern Ontario and are not displaying any symptoms of COVID-19. Residents of western Canada or northwestern Ontario are also exempt, if they have not travelled to another country or any part of Canada outside of western Canada or northwestern Ontario in the 14-day period immediately before entering or arriving in Manitoba and are not displaying any symptoms of COVID-19.

*Western Canada means British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut. (as defined in the order).

**northwestern Ontario means that portion of Ontario that is located west of Terrace Bay (as defined in the order)

Other persons who are exempt from the self-isolation requirements include: :

transporters of goods and people such as truckers and pilots
people traveling to facilitate shared parenting arrangements
people traveling for emergency medical purposes
people travelling to Western Canada and northwestern Ontario for business or recreational purposes.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14624 posts
11839 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Kiraly wrote: Check the public health orders for the province you are visiting. You are lucky to live in Quebec, there is so much to see and do there without leaving the province.
This

Different Provinces & Territories can have different rules that apply to either Residents or Non Residents coming into the jurisdiction from away

And as always ... this is Covid
A GLOBAL PANDEMIC ...
so things can be subject to change ... IF situations change
or medical info / research & knowledge develops beyond where we are at any given time
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1253 posts
793 upvotes
Brampton
How long does this vacation last if you self isolate for 14 days and than again when you come back
Temp. Banned
Apr 5, 2013
4848 posts
1928 upvotes
markham
thriftshopper wrote: No quarantine required for wholly-domestic travel but it (or, at least, as much self-isolation as possible) probably wouldn't be a bad idea if you are a responsible citizen.
i do not think this is accurate...i cannot visit east coast or NWT without 14 quarantine..afaik
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15486 posts
4619 upvotes
London
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/court-cha ... -1.5050145

Court challenge of Newfoundland and Labrador's COVID-19 travel ban to begin

A challenge of Newfoundland and Labrador's COVID-19 travel ban is scheduled to be heard before the province's supreme court beginning today.

Halifax resident Kim Taylor and the Canadian Civil Liberties Association filed a claim in Newfoundland and Labrador's Supreme Court in May, claiming the restrictions violate the charter and fall outside provincial jurisdiction. The provincial government passed legislation banning anyone but permanent residents and asymptomatic workers in key sectors from entering the province. Taylor was denied the opportunity to travel to Newfoundland after her mother died suddenly.

The association says it is also challenging changes to the province's Public Health Protection and Promotion Act which allows police officers to detain and remove individuals to "points of entry" to the province, and authorizes increased search powers. The case is scheduled to be heard through Friday.

Taylor has said she was denied her request for an exemption to be allowed to visit her home province following her mother's death, despite including a plan to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival. While her case was later reconsidered and she was granted an exemption by provincial officials, Taylor said the decision came too late.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4500 posts
886 upvotes
Scarborough
kopokipi wrote: How long does this vacation last if you self isolate for 14 days and than again when you come back
Most people who work from home won't see much of a difference. (yes, I agree not everyone can work from home)
Aug 3, 2017
541 posts
375 upvotes
Maplesugar25 wrote: Outrageous. Hope she wins.
I agree. She was willing to quarantine 14 days and should not have been denied. In fact she was allowed in shortly after, but proceeded with the case to prove a point. All my family are in NL and if I wanted to visit and isolate that seems reasonable enough. I can understand restrictions, but closing interprovincial borders long term is a little too restrictive for me.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3800 posts
1865 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Check the public health orders for the province you are visiting. You are lucky to live in Quebec, there is so much to see and do there without leaving the province.
Ditto Vancouver. Kitsilano beach (reminds me of Hawaii) is stunning with that mountain backdrop. If travel wasn't so extremely pricey to travel within Canada (pre-covid), Canadians would be pleasantly surprised to just how beautiful our country is.
Penalty Box
Dec 20, 2004
5280 posts
1280 upvotes
Toronto
Most provinces do not require any 14 day quarantine. I’ve been regularly traveling back and forth between BC and Ontario since March without any issues.