14 day quarantine for domestic travel?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 1:48 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4691 posts
2041 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
j62lee wrote: Section 6 of the charter guarantees Canadian's mobility rights. Section 33 (Notwithstanding clause) does not apply to section 6. https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/csj-sjc/r ... art33.html
Looks like it applies to (not limiting) moving residence and employment. Nothing re: travel. Knowing the SCoC's rulings in general, I kind of think it'll uphold provincial actions in/for this specific instance and set of circumstances over as individual's freedom.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21136 posts
23347 upvotes
Toronto
Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.
May 7, 2018
4 posts
4 upvotes
Here are details for quarantine in B.C. (after traveling internationally):

Unless you are exempt, all international travellers returning to B.C. are required by law to self-isolate for 14 days and complete a self-isolation plan. Travellers must submit a B.C. self-isolation plan and complete the federal ArriveCAN application for approval prior to their return to B.C., or upon arrival. (Last updated: June 26, 2020):
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safe ... -on-return

"it is up to the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) to verify that people are respecting the law. For most, it begins with a phone call. Designated screening officers start calling incoming travellers on the fifth day of their isolation period, and attempts continue for three consecutive days. "
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/tra ... tNnWYEW9Xc

To save the travel industry, we must travel now and tell everyone to stop listening to Dr. B. Henry and the mainstream media.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
2904 posts
728 upvotes
Mars
l69norm wrote: MB has a 14 day self isolate rule:

https://manitoba.ca/covid19/protection/soe.html

In general, anyone arriving in Manitoba is required to self-isolate for 14-days upon arrival to reduce the spread of COVID-19. However, there are exceptions to this requirement specified in the order.

In particular, Manitoba residents who have travelled to "western Canada* or "northwestern Ontario** are exempt from the self-isolation requirements when they return to Manitoba if they have not travelled outside of western Canada or northwestern Ontario and are not displaying any symptoms of COVID-19. Residents of western Canada or northwestern Ontario are also exempt, if they have not travelled to another country or any part of Canada outside of western Canada or northwestern Ontario in the 14-day period immediately before entering or arriving in Manitoba and are not displaying any symptoms of COVID-19.

*Western Canada means British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut. (as defined in the order).

**northwestern Ontario means that portion of Ontario that is located west of Terrace Bay (as defined in the order)

Other persons who are exempt from the self-isolation requirements include: :

transporters of goods and people such as truckers and pilots
people traveling to facilitate shared parenting arrangements
people traveling for emergency medical purposes
people travelling to Western Canada and northwestern Ontario for business or recreational purposes.
so if i drive to Banff, I will be quarantined in Manitoba when I passing through for 14 days, I mean I probably will not just drive through the whole province in 1 day, if I stay in province for say 3 days?
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15466 posts
4611 upvotes
London
forgetpwd wrote: so if i drive to Banff, I will be quarantined in Manitoba when I passing through for 14 days, I mean I probably will not just drive through the whole province in 1 day, if I stay in province for say 3 days?
For MB, you have to self isolate for 14 days total before you can go about in public. If visit a relative in MB for 3 days, then you'll be literally self isolating at that relative's place for the entire time of 3 days

You are allowed to travel straight thru without self isolating, but you need to stick to the direct routes
Mar 11, 2009
61 posts
111 upvotes
Calgary
demersfinancial wrote: To save the travel industry, we must travel now and tell everyone to stop listening to Dr. B. Henry and the mainstream media.
Agreed. I am travelling, abroad.
Going to spend a few months and thousands of dollars in a place actually welcoming tourists.
Will be great to stay away from the hysteria and the closed borders mentality that won't go away anytime soon in this country.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
2904 posts
728 upvotes
Mars
l69norm wrote: For MB, you have to self isolate for 14 days total before you can go about in public. If visit a relative in MB for 3 days, then you'll be literally self isolating at that relative's place for the entire time of 3 days

You are allowed to travel straight thru without self isolating, but you need to stick to the direct routes
so basically this means I have to drive through the province in 1 day, can not stop to take a look around Winnie? now, from Kenora, ON to Regina, SK is about 800KM, I could certainly do this in a long day drive, which is doable but certainly not enjoyable, and I would like to stop and take a look somewhere in MB. heck, that totally defeats the purpose of travelling.

and what about SK, same like MB? I certainly can NOT drive through 2 provinces in a day. that's way too much driving.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15466 posts
4611 upvotes
London
forgetpwd wrote: so basically this means I have to drive through the province in 1 day, can not stop to take a look around Winnie? now, from Kenora, ON to Regina, SK is about 800KM, I could certainly do this in a long day drive, which is doable but certainly not enjoyable, and I would like to stop and take a look somewhere in MB. heck, that totally defeats the purpose of travelling.

and what about SK, same like MB? I certainly can NOT drive through 2 provinces in a day. that's way too much driving.
Yes, basically driving straight across MB. There's no stopping to "look around" in MB without first self isolating for 14 days .

You should probably contact public health in MB to see exactly what is allowed while transiting thru MB. I would imagine you are allowed to overnight and get food/ gas along the direct transiting routes (i.e. HWY 1 or 16),
Last edited by l69norm on Aug 16th, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
2904 posts
728 upvotes
Mars
l69norm wrote: Yes, basically driving straight across MB. There's no stopping to "look around" in MB without first self isolating for 14 days .

You should probably contact public health in MB to see exactly what is allowed while transiting MB. I would imagine you are allowed to overnight and get food/ gas along the direct transiting routes (i.e. HWY 1 or 16),
that sucks. hope it's not the case in SK, and definitely not in AB, no one is gonna just drive through Banff. I probably should wait till next May or June.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
5993 posts
1879 upvotes
Thornhill
Sad sad sad our dummies at the government don't have brains even to copy other countries, including 3rd World. It's not that hard to just implement one of those quick-test stations where travelers can go and then know the results in hours and avoid the DUMB( did I say dumb?) 14 days of sitting at home. It's the stupidest thing ever, especially when they have the ability to test. Heck, charge and people will still flock, in order to avoid the 14-day nonsense. And imaging the 100s of millions of $$ it would've already brought from all the travelers. We accept up to 100K of border crossers every single day. Imaging the revenues. Plus all the tourists that can come in, get tested and enjoy our country and our businesses?! Imaging the money which we will spend in our own country as we can travel around with no restrictions.
All of this clearly shows. the turd and his people are just dumb and clearly not qualified to run anything other than a school.
I mean, you've heard the news of family members whose other member died being denied entry into a province from another province in order to attend a funeral? Stupidity at the basic level.
Bottom line, if we can't match even some 3rd World countries in their low tech technological advancements then what are we to expect from our economy going forward?? We were always behind pretty much everyone when it comes to Covid and the trend continues. Just sad!
I often use voice typing and rarely read what I had typed...
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
2904 posts
728 upvotes
Mars
dazz wrote: Sad sad sad our dummies at the government don't have brains even to copy other countries, including 3rd World. It's not that hard to just implement one of those quick-test stations where travelers can go and then know the results in hours and avoid the DUMB( did I say dumb?) 14 days of sitting at home. It's the stupidest thing ever, especially when they have the ability to test. Heck, charge and people will still flock, in order to avoid the 14-day nonsense. And imaging the 100s of millions of $$ it would've already brought from all the travelers. We accept up to 100K of border crossers every single day. Imaging the revenues. Plus all the tourists that can come in, get tested and enjoy our country and our businesses?! Imaging the money which we will spend in our own country as we can travel around with no restrictions.
All of this clearly shows. the turd and his people are just dumb and clearly not qualified to run anything other than a school.
I mean, you've heard the news of family members whose other member died being denied entry into a province from another province in order to attend a funeral? Stupidity at the basic level.
Bottom line, if we can't match even some 3rd World countries in their low tech technological advancements then what are we to expect from our economy going forward?? We were always behind pretty much everyone when it comes to Covid and the trend continues. Just sad!
well, we maybe should be happier when comparing the neighbours down south.
Mar 11, 2009
61 posts
111 upvotes
Calgary
dazz wrote: Sad sad sad our dummies at the government don't have brains even to copy other countries, including 3rd World. It's not that hard to just implement one of those quick-test stations where travelers can go and then know the results in hours and avoid the DUMB( did I say dumb?) 14 days of sitting at home. It's the stupidest thing ever, especially when they have the ability to test. Heck, charge and people will still flock, in order to avoid the 14-day nonsense. And imaging the 100s of millions of $$ it would've already brought from all the travelers. We accept up to 100K of border crossers every single day. Imaging the revenues. Plus all the tourists that can come in, get tested and enjoy our country and our businesses?! Imaging the money which we will spend in our own country as we can travel around with no restrictions.
Creating protocols for safe travel is too much for them apparently.

They're betting everything on the vaccine, probably not even considering the possibility the vaccine can't be as effective as expected (virus mutates, for example).
Federal government is so incompetent that I won't be surprised if the vaccine is delayed here - last time I checked, China was holding a shipment to Canada for the phase 3 trials.
Temp. Banned
Apr 5, 2013
4848 posts
1928 upvotes
markham
cuz you just blink your eyes and snap your fingers and its done!
Mar 11, 2009
61 posts
111 upvotes
Calgary
cardguy wrote: cuz you just blink your eyes and snap your fingers and its done!
This has been going on for almost 6 months, not a blink of an eye.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3821 upvotes
leoo wrote: Agreed. I am travelling, abroad.
Going to spend a few months and thousands of dollars in a place actually welcoming tourists.
Will be great to stay away from the hysteria and the closed borders mentality that won't go away anytime soon in this country.
I traveled too. Felt so much safer abroad than in Canada where nobody wears masks indoors. Same flying vs taking the bus in Canada where again, nobody wears masks and there is no social distancing.

Community transmission is flourishing, but house arrests for everyone who comes back even from countries where the spread is magnitudes less than canada!