14 day quarantine for domestic travel?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 1:48 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6768 posts
1260 upvotes
Scarborough
When will this mandatory quarantine requirement most likely be lifted ??
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3821 upvotes
apnayloags wrote: When will this mandatory quarantine requirement most likely be lifted ??
If Turdo keeps in power, in a few years when pandemic will have run it's course. He has no problem destroying the economy, sectors (like travel, tourism and hospitality) going belly up, and printing money to infuse the economy and create 12 zeroes like Zimbabwe money.

I just read an article where he says he is preparing to "turn on the tap" when it comes to government spending. That's why Morneau resigned, because he couldn't stand being a puppet in power while the economy is getting destroyed.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9727 posts
1841 upvotes
Victoria
Messerschmitt wrote: If Turdo keeps in power, in a few years when pandemic will have run it's course. He has no problem destroying the economy, sectors (like travel, tourism and hospitality) going belly up, and printing money to infuse the economy and create 12 zeroes like Zimbabwe money.

I just read an article where he says he is preparing to "turn on the tap" when it comes to government spending. That's why Morneau resigned, because he couldn't stand being a puppet in power while the economy is getting destroyed.

That could of been legit, or it could of been tied to the ongoing scandals.

I don't even know how I feel about opening the taps further. I feel like were stuck between a giant douche and a turd (to quote a south park episode). We freely open the economy and travel, and Coronavirus will hasten it's spread. We'd have to accept the fact it would spread quickly. On the flip side if we remain quasi-closed, everyone's going to go broke including the government. They already spend the equivalent of half of the entirely national debt in 6 months. That's not good. Any hope we had to adequately deal with social services costs due to the population hump are quickly dwindling.

It's a lose/lose scenario. More fatalities or we go broke. I accept both sides of the argument. Not sure which way to go.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1946 posts
549 upvotes
Toronto
The earliest anything imo is going to be lifted is when there is a vaccine but even with that who knows?

But the whole thing is a total guessing game as we aren't told anything in relation to future plans when everything is extended month by month.

Just look at the way NZ communicates, their borders are currently closed to anyone that isn't a citizen or resident but at least they know what is going on instead of radio silence. I would really like to live in NZ after the way they have been since the beginning but it really is so isolated so for me it isn't an option.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15466 posts
4611 upvotes
London
apnayloags wrote: When will this mandatory quarantine requirement most likely be lifted ??
Messerschmitt wrote: If Turdo keeps in power, in a few years when pandemic will have run it's course....
Since when did Trudeau have any to do with provinces like MB having mandatory 14 day quarantines for domestic travel ? Isn't that up to Pallister and his good buddy Scheer ?
Mar 11, 2009
61 posts
111 upvotes
Calgary
zod wrote: It's a lose/lose scenario. More fatalities or we go broke. I accept both sides of the argument. Not sure which way to go.
You're right, there are no good options but destroying the economy will create complete chaos.
If we had proper leadership, maybe we'd be in a better position to make a choice. Federal government is completely lost and praying for an effective vaccine.
I'm not convinced these covid vaccines will be the silver bullet they expect. I hope I'm wrong.
zod wrote: We freely open the economy and travel, and Coronavirus will hasten it's spread. We'd have to accept the fact it would spread quickly.
I feel that it's going to happen sooner or later.
People won't pause their life for another year until there's a vaccine - I have friends who were strong lockdown supporters but are getting tired now, I imagine it can only get worse when flu season comes.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9727 posts
1841 upvotes
Victoria
leoo wrote: You're right, there are no good options but destroying the economy will create complete chaos.
If we had proper leadership, maybe we'd be in a better position to make a choice. Federal government is completely lost and praying for an effective vaccine.
I'm not convinced these covid vaccines will be the silver bullet they expect. I hope I'm wrong.

I feel that it's going to happen sooner or later.
People won't pause their life for another year until there's a vaccine - I have friends who were strong lockdown supporters but are getting tired now, I imagine it can only get worse when flu season comes.
Yah, at this point I feel they should be tightening up the CERB. It make sense in the panic to make it easily accessible, but now it pays not a while lot below a min. wage job. Here on Vancouver Island they're having a hard time getting people to fill the lower paying jobs because people would rather take the pay cut and sit at home on the CERB. I'm sure many people need it, but now that we're trying to get a handle on things, it should get tightened up.

I sort of wondered the opposite. Here in BC we're struggling with everyone wanting to go do outside stuff, and people travelling here from other places. While I suppose a winter spread will occur, it also seems easier to isolate indoors when the weather turns to shit.

I think every government on the planet is hoping the vaccine works. It doesn't seem that many places have a Plan B.
Mar 11, 2009
61 posts
111 upvotes
Calgary
zod wrote: I think every government on the planet is hoping the vaccine works. It doesn't seem that many places have a Plan B.
Some countries are trying to avoid bankruptcy of their tourism industry by creating protocols to restart tourism safely.
Our government is drowning in scandals, corruption and incompetence. It will keep spending to stay in power and we're all going to pay for this eventually.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9727 posts
1841 upvotes
Victoria
leoo wrote: Some countries are trying to avoid bankruptcy of their tourism industry by creating protocols to restart tourism safely.
Our government is drowning in scandals, corruption and incompetence. It will keep spending to stay in power and we're all going to pay for this eventually.
I still consider that trial and error. No one really knows what the outcomes are of anything? I still feel like if you open up travel and tourism, no matter how careful you are, you're adding external sources of the virus to your population.

It's an insidious virus that likes to spread. The more you open things up (even a little) the more it starts to catch on. Fire in a dry forest kind of thing. No matter the protections you put in place, I think it spreads. I wouldn't go out praising other countries opening up tourism until you give it a month or two, and see what the impact was.
Temp. Banned
Apr 5, 2013
4848 posts
1928 upvotes
markham
lol comments about "proper leadership"....

what did the last guy do during the pandemic?...

who is proper leadership?....?

have you ever been through a pandemic?,,,neither have our govt!

you guys all act like this should have been easy
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6768 posts
1260 upvotes
Scarborough
Many employers dont let you stay home 14 days if test comes negative (even if false negative) yet still they want this stupid 14 day quarantine.
Why cant they setup testing at airpirts, then inform travelers their results and if its negative let them be normal. It would help the jobs/industry
Locking people up kills the economy and then people get pissed and wont spend money lolz.
The way they managed this quarantine shit is stupid. Specially now when its easier tontest anyone not just active symptom patients
Temp. Banned
Apr 5, 2013
4848 posts
1928 upvotes
markham
apnayloags wrote: Many employers dont let you stay home 14 days if test comes negative (even if false negative) yet still they want this stupid 14 day quarantine.
Why cant they setup testing at airpirts, then inform travelers their results and if its negative let them be normal. It would help the jobs/industry
Locking people up kills the economy and then people get pissed and wont spend money lolz.
The way they managed this quarantine shit is stupid. Specially now when its easier tontest anyone not just active symptom patients
because there still is no 100% reliable instant test...what you want ...and what is possible are 2 different things
Mar 11, 2009
61 posts
111 upvotes
Calgary
cardguy wrote: lol comments about "proper leadership"....
They could be doing a better job if they weren't dealing with yet another scandal.

All our government does is spending an absurd amount of money with the hopes the virus will go away soon. We'll all pay for it sooner or later.
Their "safe travel guidelines" took FIVE months to be produced and doesn't have anything innovative, the airlines have been already doing most of it since March!

If you find the people in charge competent, I can only feel sorry for you...
Last edited by leoo on Aug 22nd, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 11, 2009
61 posts
111 upvotes
Calgary
apnayloags wrote: Many employers dont let you stay home 14 days if test comes negative (even if false negative) yet still they want this stupid 14 day quarantine.
Exactly, in Iceland you choose between a 14-day quarantine or a double test (on arrival and another 5 days later).
Not ideal but at least they're trying something.
Aug 3, 2017
539 posts
374 upvotes
leoo wrote: Exactly, in Iceland you choose between a 14-day quarantine or a double test (on arrival and another 5 days later).
Not ideal but at least they're trying something.
Something like this would be fantastic. I could handle a 5 day quarantine (and in some respects enjoy the excuse to hide away lol!).