Travel

14 day quarantine for domestic travel?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 1:48 pm
Mar 3, 2009
832 posts
306 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
thriftshopper wrote: At one time, Belize, Surinam, VietNam explicitly.

Belize banned entry by all for ~2 months.

Samoa

https://samoa.org.nz/

https://www.worldaware.com/covid-19-ale ... gh-june-30

Quite a few others I can't be bothered to track down for you.
Thanks for your reply! It seemed so strange of a concept to me to not let citizens back into their own countries that is was almost impossible.

These days it's hard to take posts / news at face value as almost nobody cites sources anymore.

Anyway - neat - I learned something. Thanks again.
Aug 3, 2017
533 posts
361 upvotes
dr_torch wrote: Thanks for your reply! It seemed so strange of a concept to me to not let citizens back into their own countries that is was almost impossible.

These days it's hard to take posts / news at face value as almost nobody cites sources anymore.

Anyway - neat - I learned something. Thanks again.
Like you, turning away citizens is something I thought I would not see happen. I was also appalled at the outset of the pandemic when no country and apparently no international law exists to deal with the cruise ships that had outbreaks. IMHO, the scheduled ports should be required to take those ships and allowed the passengers to disembark to either receive medical treatment, or to prevent further infections. I was quite taken aback that's not how it went. Sorry to take your reply on a tangent!
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1714 posts
151 upvotes
So is travel within canada allowed? I have a dual citizenship with poland and canada, would I have to self quarantine if I choose to travel?
Aug 3, 2017
533 posts
361 upvotes
reggyDeal wrote: So is travel within canada allowed? I have a dual citizenship with poland and canada, would I have to self quarantine if I choose to travel?
It depends where you are going. The three territories and the Atlantic provinces have fairly tight restrictions which include 14 day quarantines and some closed borders (e.g. I can't visit my folks in Newfoundland right now unless I requested and was granted an exemption to their travel restrictions). If you're thinking about going somewhere, best to check the latest restrictions for that particular province or territory.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4635 posts
2013 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Maplesugar25 wrote: Very disappointing.
Canada isn't the U.S. Our rights are not absolute and curtailment due to a genuine emergency is reasonable. The well-being of many takes precedent over the rights of a few. This can be taken all the way to the SCoC aand I am sure the majority will rule the same.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Aug 31, 2012
490 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
thriftshopper wrote: Canada isn't the U.S. Our rights are not absolute and curtailment due to a genuine emergency is reasonable. The well-being of many takes precedent over the rights of a few. This can be taken all the way to the SCoC aand I am sure the majority will rule the same.
There is no need to restrict travel between provinces.
Aug 3, 2017
533 posts
361 upvotes
Maplesugar25 wrote: There is no need to restrict travel between provinces.
Let me guess, you are in Ontario? I am as well, but my family out East certainly wouldn't agree with that assertion. I think unreasonable restriction of mobility within Canada (e.g. I can't even go visit my home province/family even with a quarantine plan) is a bit much, but restrictions to some extent are clearly working for some places.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4635 posts
2013 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Maplesugar25 wrote: There is no need to restrict travel between provinces.
dolfan1980 wrote: Let me guess, you are in Ontario? I am as well, but my family out East certainly wouldn't agree with that assertion. I think unreasonable restriction of mobility within Canada (e.g. I can't even go visit my home province/family even with a quarantine plan) is a bit much, but restrictions to some extent are clearly working for some places.
In times of a near-global pandemic (is that redudant?), travel restrictions even within countries is a reasonable action. The well-being of all supersedes the rights of individuals.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Aug 3, 2017
533 posts
361 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: In times of a near-global pandemic (is that redudant?), travel restrictions even within countries is a reasonable action. The well-being of all supersedes the rights of individuals.
I have no issues with restrictions, however some common sense does need to apply. I suspect now if I applied for an exemption I could get one to go to NL to visit my folks assuming I have a quarantine plan in place, but if that was not acceptable I would then say that's an unreasonable restriction. That said, being in Ontario, the folks back home see Ontario as being just as bad as the US (which is probably is at the moment) so I won't be going anytime soon.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2012
1266 posts
31 upvotes
Mississauga
Any restrictions If I travel from Toronto to Calgary/Banff?

thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1375 posts
556 upvotes
dolfan1980 wrote: I have no issues with restrictions, however some common sense does need to apply. I suspect now if I applied for an exemption I could get one to go to NL to visit my folks assuming I have a quarantine plan in place, but if that was not acceptable I would then say that's an unreasonable restriction. That said, being in Ontario, the folks back home see Ontario as being just as bad as the US (which is probably is at the moment) so I won't be going anytime soon.
it's quite obvious that visiting immediate family members is an exemption from the travel restrictions.
SK_786 wrote: Any restrictions If I travel from Toronto to Calgary/Banff?

thanks
none. only the territories and atlantic so far have restrictions in place. nothing between AB and ON. you do have to wear masks everywhere you go in Banff now though, even if you are outside.
Aug 3, 2017
533 posts
361 upvotes
Clement wrote: it's quite obvious that visiting immediate family members is an exemption from the travel restrictions.
No, it isn’t. The court case was based entirely on this premise. The plaintiff’s parent was dying/died and she wanted to go manage the affairs, presented a valid quarantine plan and was rejected an exemption to travel from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland. They now have an Atlantic bubble, but the same rules still apply to the rest of the country. The rumour mill is that exemptions have been getting a little easier to access, but that’s not a guarantee for sure.
Aug 31, 2012
490 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
dolfan1980 wrote: Let me guess, you are in Ontario? I am as well, but my family out East certainly wouldn't agree with that assertion. I think unreasonable restriction of mobility within Canada (e.g. I can't even go visit my home province/family even with a quarantine plan) is a bit much, but restrictions to some extent are clearly working for some places.
thriftshopper wrote: In times of a near-global pandemic (is that redudant?), travel restrictions even within countries is a reasonable action. The well-being of all supersedes the rights of individuals.
Those same provinces allow foreign people to fly in from goodness knows where with COVID rates way above anything else in Canada - and they fly in no problem. As long as they quarantine. Eg., international students, permit workers etc.

Yet CANADIANS who want to see their dying mother in another province are not permitted!!!

If you think that is okay, you are NUTS.

Read the story above before you comment.