Travel

14 day quarantine for domestic travel?

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 1:48 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4731 posts
2063 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Maplesugar25 wrote: Those same provinces allow foreign people to fly in from goodness knows where with COVID rates way above anything else in Canada - and they fly in no problem. As long as they quarantine. Eg., international students, permit workers etc.
Canada (or rather Canadian educational institutes) needs the money from international students especially if tax payers don't want to fund secondary and tertiary education. Probably same for permit (namely ag) workers: Farmers need them otherwise there's no one to do the work. Unfair? Probably.
Yet CANADIANS who want to see their dying mother in another province are not permitted!!!

If you think that is okay, you are NUTS.

Read the story above before you comment.
I know the premise. Unfortunately, hard inflexible rules need to be made at certain times, especially when reflecting popular will. The Newfoundland hard rules probably was a result from this.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Member
Aug 31, 2012
490 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
thriftshopper wrote: Canada (or rather Canadian educational institutes) needs the money from international students especially if tax payers don't want to fund secondary and tertiary education. Probably same for permit (namely ag) workers: Farmers need them otherwise there's no one to do the work. Unfair? Probably.

I know the premise. Unfortunately, hard inflexible rules need to be made at certain times, especially when reflecting popular will. The Newfoundland hard rules probably was a result from this.
Higher educational institutions are bloated and unnecessarily expensive. No way should they cost so much to run. The fees are inflated and increasing at an alarming pace. But that is a conversation for another time. In regards to permit workers, if they made conditions better, Canadians would do the work. It is because there are atrocious conditions that only undeveloped countries would accept. And again that is a larger discussion, with other changes needed before that can happen.

No, rules should be based on logic and science. Not feelings. And giving a false sense of security to people who are paranoid and uninformed is more harmful than anything else.
Sr. Member
Aug 3, 2017
542 posts
377 upvotes
Maplesugar25 wrote: Those same provinces allow foreign people to fly in from goodness knows where with COVID rates way above anything else in Canada - and they fly in no problem. As long as they quarantine. Eg., international students, permit workers etc.

Yet CANADIANS who want to see their dying mother in another province are not permitted!!!

If you think that is okay, you are NUTS.

Read the story above before you comment.
I read the story and have followed the case. I stand by my view that restrictions are ok, but 100% mobility rights being removed within the country is further than I am willing to accept. That said, I'm pretty sure that exemptions are far easier to achieve right now and I could go if I wanted to. I am not sure I want to either given the numbers in Ontario these days.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4731 posts
2063 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Maplesugar25 wrote: n regards to permit workers, if they made conditions better, Canadians would do the work. It is because there are atrocious conditions that only undeveloped countries would accept.
Canadians want their food cheap (or need to have it cheap) and farmers want to make money.

The whole thing boils down to Bismarck's maxim about men shouldn't see how their laws and sausages are made.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Member
Aug 31, 2012
490 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
dolfan1980 wrote: I read the story and have followed the case. I stand by my view that restrictions are ok, but 100% mobility rights being removed within the country is further than I am willing to accept. That said, I'm pretty sure that exemptions are far easier to achieve right now and I could go if I wanted to. I am not sure I want to either given the numbers in Ontario these days.
Yes I agree that it is easier now. My point is that it should have been permitted for her then.
Member
Aug 31, 2012
490 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
thriftshopper wrote: Canadians want their food cheap (or need to have it cheap) and farmers want to make money.

The whole thing boils down to Bismarck's maxim about men shouldn't see how their laws and sausages are made.
Farmers have to deal with onerous legislation, compete with corporate agribusiness, expensive land/taxes and the effects of trade agreements. if they were better supported, small farmers would do better.

Top