Careers

$14 minimum wage

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2018 11:49 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2015
1041 posts
418 upvotes
Markham

$14 minimum wage

If I was earning $14/ hour wage before 2018, should I get at least $17.5/hour today?

and for people like $18-$20, will they get few dollars increase too?

It is like a grey area. Employer didn't take initiative on that.
135 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 22, 2005
20060 posts
5448 upvotes
Good Morning
Not, the minimum wage increases only increases minimum wage. It is not a global increase.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5104 posts
1454 upvotes
Toronto
Of course not.

Yeah many ppl who used to be just above the old min wage will be quite pissed now. But doubt any big companies would give a rat s.
Banned
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
758 upvotes
A person I know who worked hard and got promoted to manager. At his company, only the management get 3 weeks of vacation.
Now, all the people under him all have 3 weeks off, and he remains the same.

So basically, the works under him get 3 weeks off plus over time, while has only have 3 weeks off and don't get over time because he is at management level.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1430 posts
1186 upvotes
Edmonton
If you make like 100k, you won't get a raise. Most people who were making close to the new minimum wage should get a raise. It all comes down to how much your employer values its employees. It's their choice. As for you, it's your choice whether you want to stay with your employer or not.
Sr. Member
Apr 18, 2017
731 posts
590 upvotes
Lol why do you think everyone has been upset about this increase. This just benefits the government and no one else, they get more tax dollars from income earned.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 18, 2005
21091 posts
3150 upvotes
Niagara Falls
If your employer hasn't mentioned a raise to you yet, you're not getting one. You now make minimum wage. I guess the small plus for people in that position, is that they can go to any job now and get the same pay. So if you were in a job working harder than someone who used to at a lower minimum wage positions, you can just up and leave and go to one of those easier jobs.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1595 posts
589 upvotes
Toronto
a16107 wrote: If I was earning $14/ hour wage before 2018, should I get at least $17.5/hour today?

and for people like $18-$20, will they get few dollars increase too?

It is like a grey area. Employer didn't take initiative on that.
There is no grey area. It is quite black and white. Minimum wage increase is only for those that were making less than $14/hr prior to Jan 1, 2018. There is no legislated increase to anyone else's salary.

If your employer hasn't taken initiative on boosting your salary, it's because they have no intention to or can't afford to.

But look at the bright side. If you stay at $14/$15 long enough you'll become part of the "living wage" class. Soon, with this government in power, you can demand "living wage + deserve luxury car + deserve to live in downtown Toronto in a 3 bedroom condo + deserve to shop at Pusateri's for groceries + deserve Canada Goose/Mackage/Moose Knuckles/Nobis jacket in the winter + deserve to take 2 vacations down south every year + deserve to eat at Canoe 4 times a month because all those other people can do it" class.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2009
7239 posts
4473 upvotes
Victoria, BC
CollegeGraduate wrote: A person I know who worked hard and got promoted to manager. At his company, only the management get 3 weeks of vacation.
Now, all the people under him all have 3 weeks off, and he remains the same.

So basically, the works under him get 3 weeks off plus over time, while has only have 3 weeks off and don't get over time because he is at management level.
Then everyone beneath him has to have been at the company for at least 5 years and they bloody well deserve to get 3 weeks off. Ontario is well behind other provinces in implementing this one.

I really don't understand all the whiny babies who are so concerned that suddenly a co-worker will get equal time off. Boohoo, now I'm not as "superior". People just want to bitch.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2015
1041 posts
418 upvotes
Markham
gqbluez wrote: There is no grey area. It is quite black and white. Minimum wage increase is only for those that were making less than $14/hr prior to Jan 1, 2018. There is no legislated increase to anyone else's salary.

If your employer hasn't taken initiative on boosting your salary, it's because they have no intention to or can't afford to.

But look at the bright side. If you stay at $14/$15 long enough you'll become part of the "living wage" class. Soon, with this government in power, you can demand "living wage + deserve luxury car + deserve to live in downtown Toronto in a 3 bedroom condo + deserve to shop at Pusateri's for groceries + deserve Canada Goose/Mackage/Moose Knuckles/Nobis jacket in the winter + deserve to take 2 vacations down south every year + deserve to eat at Canoe 4 times a month because all those other people can do it" class.
Lol ... i earn more than $14/hr btw.. and my colleague who just graduated is discussing about the min wage topic with me.

He is working junior phone technician and was earning $15 before 2018...he just felt unfair if he is still earning $15 while everyone can find a job with $14.

I know people will say just find those job then....but we are asking your opinion if he should request a wage increase. (He will try no matter what )

I kinda agree with him but i understand it is very hard for business as well. As I am earning way more than $14 ...increase min wage won't have a huge impact on me but i do need to pay more on everything...like food @ restaurant, grocery, gas and all these chain effect. However, my wage won't increase that much % because of that
Banned
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
758 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote: Then everyone beneath him has to have been at the company for at least 5 years and they bloody well deserve to get 3 weeks off. Ontario is well behind other provinces in implementing this one.

I really don't understand all the whiny babies who are so concerned that suddenly a co-worker will get equal time off. Boohoo, now I'm not as "superior". People just want to bitch.
maybe my friend should now get 4 weeks vacation lol. Pretty hard to tell that to his boss.
Banned
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
758 upvotes
LOL, I don't know if this is anything to be of concern.
I noticed that junior people got a lot more productive today, but the senior people are taking it easy today.

Senior = higher position with higher pay and 3-4 weeks of vacation.
They can range from 3 years of service to 10+ years of service.

Junior = lower position with lower pay and 2 weeks of vacation.
They can range from 0 to 10+ years of service.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
45132 posts
8172 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
CollegeGraduate wrote: A person I know who worked hard and got promoted to manager. At his company, only the management get 3 weeks of vacation.
Now, all the people under him all have 3 weeks off, and he remains the same.

So basically, the works under him get 3 weeks off plus over time, while has only have 3 weeks off and don't get over time because he is at management level.
is this a low wage type job where everyone starts $12/hr, but the manager gets a few bucks more and permanent mon-fri 9-5 shift?

This sucks sooooo bad. I feel for those people... I do agree minimum wage should go up... But not so fast.
Whats wrong with a few % increase per year to account for inflation?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
11005 posts
9484 upvotes
hockeyfan1990 wrote: Lol why do you think everyone has been upset about this increase. This just benefits the government and no one else, they get more tax dollars from income earned.
Viola... someone smart... this isn't to help the people (well in a way it's to cater for votes) but higher prices mean... HIGHER TAXES! Higher wages = more payroll taxes. Higher costs of goods now = MORE HST.

WOOHOO THESE GOVTS.. remember the people running the show like Wynne are idiots but she has smart people like Clark working for her telling her what to do... it's all about the money

SHOW MEEE THE MONEYYYYYYY!
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3626 posts
742 upvotes
Well... government gets more taxes via price increases of items, more hst, government wins...then comes inflation, interest rates goes up.... this was a dumb idea
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 11, 2009
5668 posts
2245 upvotes
Debtario
Well, that was fast. People at my workplace are already feeling salty about working 25+ years and having new hires be paid almost as much. Lots of moaning about how hard they fought through decades of successive collective bargaining to get the wages they have while new "kids" get a free ride etc etc.

I want to tell them to their face that they can upgrade their skills and find a job that pays more.. or just read the collective agreement and see how much other internal positions pay; substantially more and you don't have to wait several years before hitting top rate. But I'll hold my tongue and just pretend to listen/nod while they rant away how unfair everything is.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2550 posts
1283 upvotes
Ottawa
hockeyfan1990 wrote: Lol why do you think everyone has been upset about this increase. This just benefits the government and no one else, they get more tax dollars from income earned.
This is nonsense. Even at fulltime with $14 an hour you won't be paying much taxes and for the huge numbers of workers that were making way less than $14 and soon to be $15 an hour it will be a substantial increase in income. In fact if there rent stays the same they might double the money they have to spend on the rest of their expenses that is huge. Sure it might add 1% to inflation over next year or two which will cost the rest of us a bit of money but the low wage workers will certainly benefit.

Those who have skills and/or work ethic but are only making around the new minimum will have to use this leverage to demand higher pay. They won't be taking much of a risk as worst case they can get the minimum somewhere else if they are a good worker this shouldn't be a problem. Sure many will just gripe as they prefer to be a shift supervisor making $14.50 than restart somewhere else making $14 even if it would lead to more opportunities.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9847 posts
1771 upvotes
If you are making anywhere from 14 to 20 last year should be pissed. Minimum wage gets 40% increase. Everyone else zero.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10086 posts
1514 upvotes
Are there stats on how many people are earning minimum wage in Ontario?

Top