• Jul 10th, 2020 10:12 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
1071 posts
631 upvotes
Midland

144 Hour Transit VISA - China

Is this visa still valid? Doing a Shanghai trip in April next year. Route would be HKG-PVG-TPE. I remember I did this three years ago which was ICN-PEK-HKG. It was a pain in the butt telling the desk agent about the visa and when we landed took about 2hrs waiting for a official to show up to the transit free desk at customs.

Anyone have experience at Shanghai?
8 replies
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
25939 posts
7958 upvotes
where I belong
It was smooth for me when I did a YYZ-PVG-TPE back in 2018
I just went to the far end desk, filled out the form, and went through fine (stayed <24 hours), didn't need to wait long

With Covid-19 though, nobody knows about 2021 April
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
1071 posts
631 upvotes
Midland
jerryhung wrote: It was smooth for me when I did a YYZ-PVG-TPE back in 2018
I just went to the far end desk, filled out the form, and went through fine (stayed <24 hours), didn't need to wait long

With Covid-19 though, nobody knows about 2021 April
Sweet I’m excited now. Shanghai looks amazing ! Hope the visa process stays the same.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3405 posts
1663 upvotes
Montreal
Energie11 wrote: Sweet I’m excited now. Shanghai looks amazing ! Hope the visa process stays the same.
The political instability and virus situation will probably change things for the worse unfortunately.
Aug 12, 2014
480 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Energie11 wrote: Sweet I’m excited now. Shanghai looks amazing ! Hope the visa process stays the same.
rules might change with canadian passport holder if tension rises between Canada and China.

also, if covid19 is not improved, the visa free transit program might continue to be suspended.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5472 posts
1716 upvotes
Toronto
I did this twice last year (BKK->PVG->HKG and ICN->PVG->YYZ). The biggest issue I hear with people doing this is the airline check-in agents not being aware of the 144 hour transit visa, but I had no problems whatsoever (just had to show the onward journey). When I landed in PVG I followed the signs for the 144 hour transit visa, and was through immigration in 15 minutes or so.

This visa is temporarily suspended of course due to COVID. The 144 hour transit visa is only granted to people of certain nationalities, and as others have mentioned, the ongoing Canada/China tensions may play a part here going forward.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2005
2185 posts
216 upvotes
Official word of current suspension is here: http://ca.china-embassy.org/eng/sggg/t1762951.htm

We did PVG using the 144-hour transit visa in fall last year, HND>PVG>TPE.

The hardest part was checking in at HND because the check-in agent didn't know about the transit visa and we tried to explain and even showed him the websites with the information. He eventually had to go away and consult with someone and only after 15-20 minutes did he finally come back, apologizing and finally checking us in. So I would build in some time for these types of hiccups.

On landing at PVG, in the customs hall or whatever, when facing the counters, you have to go to the far *left* end of the hall where the 2 or 3 counters for these visas are.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21084 posts
5743 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
ShopperfiendTO wrote: The hardest part was checking in at HND because the check-in agent didn't know about the transit visa and we tried to explain and even showed him the websites with the information. He eventually had to go away and consult with someone and only after 15-20 minutes did he finally come back, apologizing and finally checking us in. So I would build in some time for these types of hiccups.
Why would the agent at HND need to know about your transit visa?
Was this so they would unload your luggage at PVG?
- casual gastronomist -
Aug 12, 2014
480 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Jucius Maximus wrote: Why would the agent at HND need to know about your transit visa?
Was this so they would unload your luggage at PVG?
because at point of departure, the agent has to make sure that you can enter at the next destination. some agents are not that good using timatic to extract the visa free rule, so it's better to print the rule to convince the agent in order to avoid refuse boarding by the agent.