Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1172 posts
1626 upvotes
90.00° N, 135.00° W

Spike in collisions typical every snowfall in Toronto

When are we going to learn?...

UPDATE: Title updated.
Last edited by CuriousJack on Dec 11th, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
252 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
I'm more surprised the number is so low.
The night is young, however..
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Snowfall wasn't that bad. It's powdery but not icy.

I am not too happy with people who drive on all season tires and travel a third of the posted speed limit on cleared roads.

They might as well stay where they are until traffic subsides.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
alanbrenton wrote: Snowfall wasn't that bad. It's powdery but not icy.

I am not too happy with people who drive on all season tires and travel a third of the posted speed limit on cleared roads.

They might as well stay where they are until traffic subsides.
My evening commute from GO station to home took 45 minutes instead of the usual 20 because of people doing 15-20 in a 50 zone. :(
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Ppl never learn, just like some ppl never learn that who cares if someone is super slow, just pass them. It's better they're being timid, at least they're being safe, vs some idiot doing 150 in a snowstorm. Where are you all going to in such a hurry?
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15618 posts
13276 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Holding their pee or poo.
tranquility922 wrote: Ppl never learn, just like some ppl never learn that who cares if someone is super slow, just pass them. It's better they're being timid, at least they're being safe, vs some idiot doing 150 in a snowstorm. Where are you all going to in such a hurry?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Holding their pee or poo.
Haha, I know, srsly, what's the big rush?

Ppl really need to look in the mirror. Man, a lot of these rushers are probably road ragers and prone to causing accidents. I can usually feel a bad driver the way they drive, trying to squeeze every extra inch like they're racing F1. Slow the freak down ppl, and if you have to speed, you better damn well speed w/ SKILL and not be those typical reckless idiots out there.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
Just got home and saw this ""high performance" Abarth zoom by me on #401. A tin can on 4 wheels who is pushing the laws of physics. May very well be one of those collisions.
Feb 19, 2012
904 posts
600 upvotes
Woodbridge
Snow tires. Honestly, the fact that they aren't mandatory in Ontario is ridiculous. Just watch the fools who are driving around on all-seasons with their wheels spinning. They are an accident waiting to happen.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19790 posts
3419 upvotes
Woodbridge
Even my sister agrees how she's more likely to get into an accident driving along with the flow.

One of the reasons I think is they lose their focus, you're not as alert.

I can't describe it, certainly not showing off but I drive better "aggressive." Hasn't it been proven that speed isn't the problem. How do you explain other countries.

I think the government likes to use fear and the safety card as an excuse to hand out speeding tickets. Why are they handing out driver's licenses like candy?
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
Did the collisions happen on flat ground? Uphill? Or downhill?

Accidents happens! Tailgating scary when going downhill :(.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9924 posts
7087 upvotes
Mississauga
So how many tractor trailer jackknifes on the 401 this morning?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: Ppl never learn, just like some ppl never learn that who cares if someone is super slow, just pass them. It's better they're being timid, at least they're being safe, vs some idiot doing 150 in a snowstorm. Where are you all going to in such a hurry?
Because they didn't bother to put on winter tires? 20 km/h is too slow on fresh powder snow with most roads plowed. That is driving in 2nd gear for me. There's a distinction between driving carefully with winter tires and driving slowly because you didn't bother with winter tires. Former is being prudent, the latter is being too frugal and inconsiderate.

I have nothing against them driving slow as long as there are very few cars on the road (easier to overtake, heck some are not even flushed to the rightmosthand side of the road where they should be) and at times when people are no longer rushed to get to daycare, meet an appointment or be on time at work.

They might as well stay home or in the office in the meantime or take the e-scooter. :)
Last edited by alanbrenton on Dec 12th, 2017 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
6236 posts
4776 upvotes
Ontario
bembol wrote: Even my sister agrees how she's more likely to get into an accident driving along with the flow.

One of the reasons I think is they lose their focus, you're not as alert.

I can't describe it, certainly not showing off but I drive better "aggressive." Hasn't it been proven that speed isn't the problem. How do you explain other countries.

I think the government likes to use fear and the safety card as an excuse to hand out speeding tickets. Why are they handing out driver's licenses like candy?
Speed enforcement in Canada is very lax compared to Europe where there are lots of speed cameras on urban roads and on the overhead signs on highways. In the UK on roads comparable to the 401 they have variable speed signage so that the traffic flow can be actively managed. At busy times and in bad conditions they can get more cars through at a lower speed by reducing braking gaps and avoiding phantom blockages caused by over-braking and stopping.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
alanbrenton wrote: Because they didn't bother to put on winter tires? 20 km/h is too slow on fresh powder snow with most roads plowed. That is driving in 2nd gear for me. There's a distinction between driving carefully with winter tires and driving slowly because you didn't bother with winter tires. Former is being prudent, the latter is being too frugal and inconsiderate.

I have nothing against them driving slow as long as there are very few cars on the road (easier to overtake, heck some are not even flushed to the rightmosthand side of the road where they should be) and at times when people are no longer rushed to get to daycare, meet an appointment or be on time at work.

They might as well stay home or in the office in the meantime or take the e-scooter. :)
Yeah, but it's possible that they are newer drivers who have winter tires on the vehicle, but less or no experience driving in snow. Can't fault them for being a little extra cautious - much more preferable than letting others pressure them to drive a certain way.

I was driving home on Burnhamthorpe Rd westbound in Mississauga yesterday and every block was like a 401 traffic jam crawling. Car behind me is tailgating me. It's like dude, do you see I can't go anywhere nor any faster because I'm going the same speed as the blocks of vehicles in front or approaching a dead red traffic light? Lol.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
kenchau wrote: Yeah, but it's possible that they are newer drivers who have winter tires on the vehicle, but less or no experience driving in snow. Can't fault them for being a little extra cautious - much more preferable than letting others pressure them to drive a certain way.

I was driving home on Burnhamthorpe Rd westbound in Mississauga yesterday and every block was like a 401 traffic jam crawling. Car behind me is tailgating me. It's like dude, do you see I can't go anywhere nor any faster because I'm going the same speed as the blocks of vehicles in front or approaching a dead red traffic light? Lol.
I wouldn't tailgate for sure. If I rear-end someone, it would completely be my fault and just imagine the hassle of blocking traffic to swap insurance information.

Maybe the slower drivers just have to learn to drive closer to the curb to allow other to pass them safely but then they'd want to follow the tracks of the cars in front of them so moving to the rightmost side of the road will probably not happen. :)

Patience is key I understand and for some, winter tires are not feasible because of the extra storage space they will have to rent or the extra outlay of at least $800 but traction is night and day.

It took me two more minutes to get home. Probably helped I was at the train station a little before 6:30 am.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Dec 12th, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
6022 posts
1868 upvotes
It took me 40 minutes to drive from the GO Train Station to my house last night, a trip that is 3km total distance. This is not exaggerated, it actually took that long.

#BramptonDriversInWinter
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1962 posts
677 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Winter driving should school should become mandatory for all drivers in Canada. It will make the roads safer for everyone. I know there will be opposition against this because it is an added cost and making driving less accessible blah blah but there are huge long term savings if everyone is more competent.

There are third party winter driving schools and schools organized by manufacturers but people will just balk at the prices. They won't be laughing if they get into an accident.

http://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/2 ... in-canada/
http://www.bmw.com.hr/ca/en/insights/dr ... ourse.html
Mining & Workstation EPYC 7764 64 Core & Dual 5950x Rigs | ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |5 TB Samsung NVMe Storage
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
alanbrenton wrote: I wouldn't tailgate for sure. If I rear-end someone, it would completely be my fault and just imagine the hassle of blocking traffic to swap insurance information.

Maybe the slower drivers just have to learn to drive closer to the curb to allow other to pass them safely but then they'd want to follow the tracks of the cars in front of them so moving to the rightmost side of the road will probably not happen. :)

Patience is key I understand and for some, winter tires are not feasible because of the extra storage space they will have to rent or the extra outlay of at least $800 but traction is nice and day.

It took me two more minutes to get home. Probably helped I was at the train station a little before 6:30 am.
I understand people are cautious and slow, I am cautious as well. I maintain more than safe distance from the car in front. I would totally understand if people are driving 40-45 in a 50 zone. But driving at 15 in the left lane is no way justified. How do you even pass if both lanes are crawling. If someone wants to drive at snails pace, at least do it in the rightmost lane. And yesterday's snow was nothing by Canadian standards, it was not even a proper storm. This morning it took me 50 minutes to get to the station, which is just 10KM from my home. I am bracing for tonight as there has been more snow since yesterday.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1962 posts
677 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Winter driving should school should become mandatory for all drivers in Canada. It will make the roads safer for everyone. I know there will be opposition against this because it is an added cost and making driving less accessible blah blah but there are huge long term savings if everyone is more competent.

There are third party winter driving schools and schools organized by manufacturers but people will just balk at the prices. They won't be laughing if they get into an accident. I personally took the Mercedes Winter driving class and the skills learned is beneficial for the rest of my driving life. Every winter I will go out and find a safe open area to practice the maneuvers to keep my skills sharp.

http://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/2 ... in-canada/
http://www.bmw.com.hr/ca/en/insights/dr ... ourse.html
http://www.carcontrolschool.com/winter-driving-school/
https://drivingacademy.mercedes-benz.ca ... er-driving
Mining & Workstation EPYC 7764 64 Core & Dual 5950x Rigs | ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |5 TB Samsung NVMe Storage

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)