77 upvotes
Porters Lake

15" Macbook Pro (mid 2014) - IBM Store Refurb i7 256gb SSD 16gb RAM $1595

Deal Link:
Price:
$1670.40
Savings:
~$400
I came across four machines currently on IBM store for refurbs but this appears to be the only real deal. Apple is currently selling these refurbs for $1949 (that's counting their claimed discount of $350)

Trying to decide if I should pull the trigger hoping some of you can weigh in and help me decide

http://www.apple.com/ca/shop/browse/hom ... ook_pro/15

PS - this has retina screen
96 replies
Oct 13, 2013
319 posts
165 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
1670.40 for a used 2 year old laptop....
[OP]
Feb 22, 2013
114 posts
77 upvotes
Porters Lake
the discount actually brings it to $1595 but yes, it's actually got some great specs and is only a bit behind this year's model for about $500-600 less
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
3079 posts
768 upvotes
Toronto
I have this machine...and it is a beast, highly recommend if u need Mac os
[OP]
Feb 22, 2013
114 posts
77 upvotes
Porters Lake
Shylock I'm on the fence. Since you have this one, what do you think of the price for specs vs the newer models? Any regrets or anything you find lacking?

I'm really close to pulling the trigger. There doesn't appear to be a deal on the Macbook pro that comes close right now
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
22159 posts
166736 upvotes
GTA
bowen1506 wrote: 1670.40 for a used 2 year old laptop....
I'll finish your sentence - "that will outlast the majority of new PC laptops on the market today".
Aug 19, 2013
838 posts
720 upvotes
TORONTO
Meh 15 inch. Apple seem to have issues with the GPU in their 15 inches a lot.

The 2010 has the nvidia kernel panic. The 2011 had the Radeon soldering issue. The 2012 was grossly underpowered for the Retina display etc
Apr 11, 2008
284 posts
70 upvotes
I never had a macbook before, but I'm looking to have one for my research-oriented grad studies. I want a laptop this time that has a battery life that lasts more than an hour (I want longevity!) and I want to be able to have as many browser tabs open as possible (in addition to having MS word and PDF running). Compared to the air, would this macbook pro be an overkill for my needs?
Apr 16, 2015
862 posts
506 upvotes
I wouldn't buy any Mac notebook right now.
Apple is going to be coming out with new models soon.
May 1, 2015
68 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto, ON
toguy wrote: I'll finish your sentence - "that will outlast the majority of new PC laptops on the market today".
It'll last just as long as anything that was in the same price range as it when it was new.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1609 posts
244 upvotes
MikeBrewerWheelerDealer wrote: I wouldn't buy any Mac notebook right now.
Apple is going to be coming out with new models soon.
Ya, but will it be $1670? I say get it if you have the money and you can use it in a few days. Otherwise wait till you have the need of one.

I wait because I don't have immediate need, and I like to pay around $1300 all in.

16Gb ram on this is nice. I don't believe RAM is upgradable on these.
Dec 5, 2011
172 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
It's the best PC/Windows laptop I've ever owned! I'm still using my mid 2009 MBP (Core i7) right now as I type this (I've upgraded the memory and HDD to a 512 Gb SSD along with running Windows 10 in Bootcamp). Its 7yrs old and still usable (3D Modeling SketchUp and AutoCAD), and with El Capitan I can give it to my daughter when I upgrade (waiting on the new one coming up Q4). Amazing!

None of my other PC laptops have survived pass 5yrs and are just landfill now - either the power cable connection becomes flaky, batteries die, hinges break or latch breaks. Unfortunately Windows is still faster for 3D modeling, otherwise I'd switch to MacOS already.

Highly recommend MacBook Pros as great laptops. They are more expensive, but as with most things in life, you get what you paid for. However I've been waiting for this fictitious MacBook Pro upgrade for almost a year now, last year (May) was a really pitiful upgrade and they were supposed to release a new MBP by June, then WWDC came and went without any announcements and now they are guessing Q4 - its long overdue!
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1254 posts
638 upvotes
toguy wrote: I'll finish your sentence - "that will outlast the majority of new PC laptops on the market today".
Not really. Its not a Thinkpad from the T or W series. If you want reliability you'll know that Apple isn't the way to go.
Nov 19, 2011
292 posts
66 upvotes
Calgary
Not sure how comparing a 2k priced laptop with dub 1k ones is really all that fair, but I have seen some dell last for ever and the ThinkPad laptops are also very good for lasting long time
Aug 13, 2012
60 posts
10 upvotes
andersb wrote: Not really. Its not a Thinkpad from the T or W series. If you want reliability you'll know that Apple isn't the way to go.
Keep in mind that if you use a Thinkpad you have to look at it every day. It is very ugly. You have to touch the track pad and hear the plastic creak. Trust me I know I use one every day at work.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10408 posts
1713 upvotes
no it won't. Apple fans just refuses to upgrade because of the extremely high initial cost.

the question is... why are you buying a 2 yr old laptop when you can get Surface book or xps 15 for cheaper and more powerful?

Unless you buy laptop for their branding.. then go right ahead.

P.S. ... "Intel Iris Pro Graphics"
Jan 21, 2003
304 posts
89 upvotes
Edmonton
andersb wrote: Not really. Its not a Thinkpad from the T or W series. If you want reliability you'll know that Apple isn't the way to go.
Apple’s laptops rank highest in reliability, according to the latest Consumer Reports survey, as they have in previous years.

Apple is still No. 1. We estimate that only 10 percent of Apple laptops fail by the third year of ownership. The numbers for Windows laptop brands range from 16 percent to 19 percent. In addition, Apple laptops break down less often than laptops from other brands.

Consumer Reports
1st Place: Apple

Apple remains our top brand for the seventh year in a row, thanks to its combination of best-in-class laptops and industry-leading tech support. The Cupertino, California-based company also received top scores for its powerful preloaded software and convenient warranty coverage that lets you either mail in a defective product or bring it to a store for service.

LAPTOP Magazine
Most reliable: Apple

If there’s one thing that nearly everyone agrees on, it’s that Apple laptops are the most reliable of the bunch

Digital Trends
If only all these "professionals" could figure that out too!
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2013
1059 posts
724 upvotes
Montr
Is this the punch line of a standup comedy performance ??
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10408 posts
1713 upvotes
dakewldude wrote: If only all these "professionals" could figure that out too!
So good to have you join us, Tim Cook. ;)

i guess innovation is a bit stale there in Cupertino, eh?