$15 minimum wage in Ontario

Pros and cons? Lets hear them.
154 replies
Deal Addict
May 12, 2011
3356 posts
461 upvotes
North Vancouver
BC and Ontario needs higher min. wage more so BC. While the rest of the country can survive off min. Wage because living cost is cheap and house prices are so low.

Like my cousin bought a house in Manitoba for $385,000 it's 4,500 sq feet. Here in North Vancouver if u want a 5,000 Sq feet it will cost $2 million+.
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1506 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
Sharks316 wrote: BC and Ontario needs higher min. wage more so BC. While the rest of the country can survive off min. Wage because living cost is cheap and house prices are so low.

Like my cousin bought a house in Manitoba for $385,000 it's 4,500 sq feet. Here in North Vancouver if u want a 5,000 Sq feet it will cost $2 million+.
:facepalm:

there isn't just GTA area in Ontario.

real estates in other parts of ontario are cheap.
Banned
Nov 12, 2013
927 posts
208 upvotes
Iceland
mathiewannabe wrote: :facepalm:

there isn't just GTA area in Ontario.

real estates in other parts of ontario are cheap.
Yes, but the vast majority of people live in areas where he real estate is expensive. Not to mention, there are even fewer jobs in communities which have cheaper real estate, and some would just commute to a major centre anyways.
"Between my salary and the office supplies I pilfer, I'm making 6 figures."
Medicine1T4 wrote: oh that's just a username............... im in grade 12
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1506 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
Nobody is going to commute hour+ to Toronto to work at min. wage jobs.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
2458 posts
3704 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Pros:
More money for the government (due to higher tax-base)
More money for those earning min. wage leading to better life
Businesses will become more efficient

Cons:
Students should start off with $10 and not $15, leading to more "entitlement" than what we currently experience
Cost of living would increase as things would get more expensive; more money in the market = more people want to buy the same amount of good = higher prices
Corporations always want to maintain a set profit rate; they will just pass the cost down to the customers leading to price increase

Overall, a bad idea (based on my experience and my humble opinion).
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2384 posts
881 upvotes
Ontario
People complain prices will go up because of new higher minimum wage, yet prices have been increasing and all wages barely increase at same rate. Zero sum game for consumers.
Oct 7, 2007
170 posts
59 upvotes
Ontario
TuxedoBlack wrote: Pros:
More money for the government (due to higher tax-base)
More money for those earning min. wage leading to better life
Businesses will become more efficient

Cons:
Students should start off with $10 and not $15, leading to more "entitlement" than what we currently experience
Cost of living would increase as things would get more expensive; more money in the market = more people want to buy the same amount of good = higher prices
Corporations always want to maintain a set profit rate; they will just pass the cost down to the customers leading to price increase

Overall, a bad idea (based on my experience and my humble opinion).
I also happen to think it's not a good idea. I'm not a business owner but to put in their shoes, if I were forced to bump the minimum wage to $15/hr, what do I do for the people who were previously on $15/hr? What about those $20/hr people? You can see this snow-balls and eventually the business is not going to be bothered with hiring entry-level jobs because they simply can't afford to give everybody a $5/hr raise.
Jun 14, 2015
90 posts
38 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
Pros:
May motivate some people to come off welfare and actually look for a job.
People earning <$15 per hour will see an increase in purchasing power in the short-run

Cons:
Businesses would be forced to raise prices. Therefore, any short term gains seen by low wage earners would be eliminated, and higher earners would purchase fewer goods and services.
Businesses will try to operate with less staff, and will have a greater reason to utilize capital (ie: buy machines, automate, etc.) rather than labour.
Unemployment will rise.
People currently earning $15 per hour may not get a raise. Over time, many people may choose to work at McDonalds for $15 per hour rather than go to vocational school.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35123 posts
8544 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Dynasty12345 wrote: People complain prices will go up because of new higher minimum wage, yet prices have been increasing and all wages barely increase at same rate. Zero sum game for consumers.
There are multiple factors in price increases.

US Dollar
Cost of transportation to deliver goods (Gas)

But if minimum wage increase, how much do you think that loaf of bread will cost at the supermarket? Because the stock boy is making $4 more per hour? Don't forget the bakers at the bakery have a raise too.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2011
3356 posts
461 upvotes
North Vancouver
Gee wrote: There are multiple factors in price increases.

US Dollar
Cost of transportation to deliver goods (Gas)

But if minimum wage increase, how much do you think that loaf of bread will cost at the supermarket? Because the stock boy is making $4 more per hour? Don't forget the bakers at the bakery have a raise too.
No the bakers won't make more I think they max out at $28 at superstore.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35123 posts
8544 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Sharks316 wrote: No the bakers won't make more I think they max out at $28 at superstore.
You get idea

If minimum wage increases, we all pay for it. Gas prices will increase because the attendant has to be paid more
Jan 5, 2009
571 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Pros:
More tax revenue for the provincial & federal coffers
would justify the very low corporate tax rates
would make crime less appealing
would make things more equal - lowest paid worker would be a bit closer to what the ceo makes
increased buying power for the 60%(unsure of exact percentage) of ontario workers currently on min wage

Cons:
costs may be passed on to consumers to offset the 27% labour increase
mcjobs become more competitive and would result in increased difficulty for that 16 year old trying to get his first job
increased automation - robots might be seen as cheaper to operate.

at full time, it's an extra $320 bi weekly gross for someone who is a contributing member of society. $880 vs. $1200. gross amounts

I support it, even if everything went up by 27%. 31.2k a year isn't exactly glamorous for someone putting in two thousand hours a year. The ultimate winner of higher wages is the government with the amount of taxes they'll rake in. Likely could even afford a provincial sales tax cut here
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
36790 posts
4965 upvotes
Winnipeg
you tell us op, you are the mayor
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15087 posts
2678 upvotes
divx wrote: you tell us op, you are the mayor
Maybe he is retired and now is performing a consultant work.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5379 posts
2768 upvotes
What we ought to do is get rid of the TFW program at jobs that pay less than $30/hour and require that jobs done by TFWs be paid at least $30/hour.

Companies may actually train local workers and wages may not be artificially suppressed.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1360 upvotes
vanpharm wrote: Pros:
Businesses will try to operate with less staff, and will have a greater reason to utilize capital (ie: buy machines, automate, etc.) rather than labour.
How is this a con?

That's like saying high gas prices causing people to innovate in alternative energy is a 'con' because our horse & buggy of an oil industry will take a hit.

Increasing unemployment is a patently stupid reason to be against anything progressive. Increased unemployment is inevitable, why people feel the need to delay it for the sake of this *****ty house of cards is beyond me.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1360 upvotes
CheapScotch wrote: I am against it, primarily because it will increase unemployment
Aren't you embarrassed to say things like this? That's such small-minded view of labour. Think of the bigger picture.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)