• Jul 8th, 2020 6:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2055 posts
1326 upvotes
Durham

15 Pathfinder fuel issue

Trying to Diagnose an issue I have before taking it to the dealer to investigate further.

Symptoms:
- Does not start on first try. Second try starts immediately
- Priming the pump does not work
- Lose of power under hard acceleration when tank is around 1/4

Fuel pressure was tested and there is no loss of pressure in the lines also battery is new. Most research has pointed to priming working on getting the car started on its first time. But in my situation, priming on the first cold start is not working and the fuel pressure is fine in the lines.

Any tips?
17 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15507 posts
10148 upvotes
Toronto
fuel pressure sensor or pump is my guess.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2055 posts
1326 upvotes
Durham
koffey wrote: fuel pressure sensor or pump is my guess.
Thats what the guess is, but trying to pin point which one specifically.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15507 posts
10148 upvotes
Toronto
I would say the sensor first and then the pump.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1819 posts
570 upvotes
My guess is stop lamp switch need to be replaced, according to web. When acceleration problem occurs check your gauge panel see if any light's go on for any period of time. Some of Pathfinder 2013-2014 had brake light stay on. They had to check Brake Relay Switch.

I haven't check no start problem but it could be related to stop light switch.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2055 posts
1326 upvotes
Durham
MasterMK wrote: My guess is stop lamp switch need to be replaced, according to web. When acceleration problem occurs check your gauge panel see if any light's go on for any period of time. Some of Pathfinder 2013-2014 had brake light stay on. They had to check Brake Relay Switch.

I haven't check no start problem but it could be related to stop light switch.
That was my first repair since it was cheap and symptoms were pointing in that direction at first. Didn't resolve it as the loss of power on hard acceleration came back after when I let the gas run a bit low again for testing purposes
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1819 posts
570 upvotes
The were also saying "Two harness and a switch that will allow them to bypass brake switch relay and reroute it to body control module." Cost is about $500 plus $121 for diagnostic.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12902 posts
7645 upvotes
Brampton
You're going to have to do some proper diagnostics.

You're anywhere between the anti-theft/ignition system to the fuel pump going/fuel filter clogged.

Have you scanned to see if there are any codes? You don't need to see a CEL, sometimes the car will set a code that won't throw a CEL, it could be that the ECM loses communication with the fuel pump or even low fuel pressure. Once you have a code it's a good place to start.

The car will crank but not start? You've tried to jumper the pump to prime the fuel system?

I've been watching a lot of South Main Auto on Youtube During COVID.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2055 posts
1326 upvotes
Durham
tebore wrote: You're going to have to do some proper diagnostics.

You're anywhere between the anti-theft/ignition system to the fuel pump going/fuel filter clogged.

Have you scanned to see if there are any codes? You don't need to see a CEL, sometimes the car will set a code that won't throw a CEL, it could be that the ECM loses communication with the fuel pump or even low fuel pressure. Once you have a code it's a good place to start.

The car will crank but not start? You've tried to jumper the pump to prime the fuel system?

I've been watching a lot of South Main Auto on Youtube During COVID.
No codes and priming does not work on the first attempt
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18587 posts
6028 upvotes
London
Kkhan15 wrote: No codes and priming does not work on the first attempt
...... delete .........
Try a place like iGarage where they can actually diagnose the problem hands on
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1819 posts
570 upvotes
Turn on the key, just leave it on "ON" position. Wait 1 minute or so, making sure you hear the fuel pump working noise. After the engine light disappear turn on the key to crank the engine.

As already posted, it could be "Fuel Pump", just another guess. I am thinking this because you mentioned this happen when fuel tank is 1/4 meaning almost empty.

There are probably other ways to check if fuel pump is functioning properly.

A good idea to check Fuel pump relay and fuse too.

Couple of guys here say, don't let gas tank go near empty because of sediment on bottom can enter into fuel pump causing it to go bad.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2055 posts
1326 upvotes
Durham
MasterMK wrote: Turn on the key, just leave it on "ON" position. Wait 1 minute or so, making sure you hear the fuel pump working noise. After the engine light disappear turn on the key to crank the engine.
As mentioned, I tried priming. Priming does not work on the first attempt. Oddly enough, this morning as it was struggling, I decided to just press the button. When I do it kicks in. As some one mentioned, maybe its an ignition issue of some sort. When I get home I'm going to disconnect my dash cam as its hard wired and see what happens
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1819 posts
570 upvotes
First time no start second time start was one of this issue 2003 Pathfinder had, the owner of that vehicle replaced "Starter Relay" to solve his problem. I think he said it was labeled at N.P on fuse box. At the time Nissan had updated part to fix this problem.
While you start the vehicle have someone listen to the starter relay closely with their ear. One should hear a clinking sound when vehicle starts.

One thing you can try is take the vehicle on a open road country side (or night when streets empty). Accelerate the vehicle normally, when you feel loss of acceleration, stop the Pathfinder and put it in Reverse. If Reverse works properly then the problem might be Alternator, so you might want to get that part checked out. (Multimeter if you do it by yourself)
Other way to check your alternator is turn on you headlight at night and see how bright they are as well as turning on your interior light and dashboard light illumination.

There was a problem with faulty relay in 2013-2014 Pathfinder. I don't know if they were referring to Brake Relay Switch

"Brake light switch may have been installed incorrectly causing the Relay to make intermittent contact and repeated cycle."
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2055 posts
1326 upvotes
Durham
So confirmed it is the fuel pump. Actually let it sit with a fuel pressure gauge over night and there is loss of pressure. Anyways the part is costly so looking around Rockauto had it a few days ago for $394 now its $600 Confused Face.

Any other recommended online part shops?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15507 posts
10148 upvotes
Toronto
Kkhan15 wrote: So confirmed it is the fuel pump. Actually let it sit with a fuel pressure gauge over night and there is loss of pressure. Anyways the part is costly so looking around Rockauto had it a few days ago for $394 now its $600 Confused Face.

I've bought from this place before. It's $588 so looks like the going rate is about $600. Here's a huge list of sites.

https://www.autopartsway.ca/partlist.cf ... enum1/tabs
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9066 posts
3067 upvotes
Toronto
Kkhan15 wrote: So confirmed it is the fuel pump. Actually let it sit with a fuel pressure gauge over night and there is loss of pressure. Anyways the part is costly so looking around Rockauto had it a few days ago for $394 now its $600 Confused Face.

Check with your local NIssan dealership parts department. That will give you the "top" price.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1819 posts
570 upvotes
Nissan dealership is pretty good, If op want's t to roll a dice, maybe try Standard Auto Wrecker, I think they sell used part for $100 or so. There is another Auto Wrecker in Ajax or Oshawa area.

Hotspot is another good store, but I don't know if they sell fuel pump? Maybe they might point OP in right direction. They do have remanufactured parts for sale. I brought a remanufactured starter from them, pretty happy with it. Basically it comes down to brand of company that manufacture the fuel pump.