Home & Garden

$159 for duct cleaning? Too good to be true?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2021 6:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1210 posts
315 upvotes

$159 for duct cleaning? Too good to be true?

Hey all,

I've decided to get our Ducts cleaned. I was settled on going with Dave's Ducts as they had good reviews and liked the look of their offer. But the price was going to be just shy of $500 for my house.
I then stumbled on another company that was $159 (SM Duct Cleaning). They have a reasonable number of Google reviews. I've never done the duct cleaning before - so aside from some pre-research, wouldn't know what to specifically watch for. Is the $159 too good to be true - or am I crazy and should go with Dave's Duct Cleaning?

Thanks all.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4369 posts
1712 upvotes
GTA
How big is your house? I paid around $400 cleaning a 3000sqft house. You eventually get what you pay for.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1210 posts
315 upvotes
shabby wrote: How big is your house? I paid around $400 cleaning a 3000sqft house. You eventually get what you pay for.
Thanks for the reply - 2600sq/ft (20 vents not including the unfinished basement)

That's what I'm wondering - what am I getting what I'm paying.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1422 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto
Usually low prices means that it includes only a limited amount of main ducts and vents. Once they get here they will start up upsell you based on your HVAC set up and what "add-ons" you want like sanitizing agents, etc. Important to fully understand what that $159's scope of work is and ask about what additional charges are to avoid surprises.

For example, the last time I had this done after an extensive reno I felt like I could've better prepared myself. The contractor started upselling saying an addition $50 because my house has 2 main return air ducts, long runs so additional holes need to be cut so additional $20, dryer vent is an extra $40, etc. Also offered injecting a sterilizing agent ($100) which I declined.

I think it started as $199 on the ad ended up to ~$360 for the service.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1210 posts
315 upvotes
bst wrote: Usually low prices means that it includes only a limited amount of main ducts and vents. Once they get here they will start up upsell you based on your HVAC set up and what "add-ons" you want like sanitizing agents, etc. Important to fully understand what that $159's scope of work is and ask about what additional charges are to avoid surprises.

For example, the last time I had this done after an extensive reno I felt like I could've better prepared myself. The contractor started upselling saying an addition $50 because my house has 2 main return air ducts, long runs so additional holes need to be cut so additional $20, dryer vent is an extra $40, etc. Also offered injecting a sterilizing agent ($100) which I declined.

I think it started as $199 on the ad ended up to ~$360 for the service.
That's what I was thinking too - but they seem to call it all out as part of the package. Unless they are really hurting for business in the COVID era, I'm scratching my head how with travel cost - how that price is viable.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1422 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto
canadiancynosure wrote: That's what I was thinking too - but they seem to call it all out as part of the package. Unless they are really hurting for business in the COVID era, I'm scratching my head how with travel cost - how that price is viable.
Important to get a full breakdown to what is included in the quote to avoid surprises. Perhaps you can ask some questions like do they charge or is it included if they have to cut new service holes, how many main ducts are included in the quote, etc.

Best of luck! I feel with all the duct cleaning spam calls this industry is highly subjectable to scams.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11157 posts
2914 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I would stick with Davs Ducts, I follow them on Instagram and it looks like they good work. I also told a good family friend to give them a call and it cost them I think around $600 where the previous company was charging them $800 range.
Daves ducts will do a good proper job, the $159 special is going to go up in price and you may get some new guys in there that will rush the job.
canadiancynosure wrote: Hey all,

I've decided to get our Ducts cleaned. I was settled on going with Dave's Ducts as they had good reviews and liked the look of their offer. But the price was going to be just shy of $500 for my house.
I then stumbled on another company that was $159 (SM Duct Cleaning). They have a reasonable number of Google reviews. I've never done the duct cleaning before - so aside from some pre-research, wouldn't know what to specifically watch for. Is the $159 too good to be true - or am I crazy and should go with Dave's Duct Cleaning?

Thanks all.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1154 posts
571 upvotes
Unless you have recently had renovation work done, why do you need to do duct cleaning?

My home was previously owned (and built) by the owner of one of the largest HVAC and Mechanical Engineering Services companies in the GTA area. His firm does construction, servicing, and design of HVAC systems for many commercial clients, including hospitals. He told me duct cleaning is almost always not necessary.

Some links:
https://www.todayshomeowner.com/hvac-du ... -worth-it/
Due to growing concerns about indoor air quality, it’s easy to convince homeowners that their ducts need cleaning. But unless ducts are really dirty, there’s no reason to clean them. The EPA takes a similar stance on the issue, recommending cleaning only if the ducts and HVAC unit are contaminated.
If done properly, duct cleaning doesn’t hurt; but it’s not something that needs to be on your regular home maintenance list. You probably don’t need to have your ducts and HVAC system cleaned unless: [Renovation; Rodents; Mold; Unexplained Illness/Allergy].

And from EPA (which suggests there are only very limited circumstances where Duct cleaning is necessary or helpful]:
https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality- ... me-cleaned
Duct cleaning has never been shown to actually prevent health problems. Neither do studies conclusively demonstrate that particle (e.g., dust) levels in homes increase because of dirty air ducts. This is because much of the dirt in air ducts adheres to duct surfaces and does not necessarily enter the living space.

While the debate about the value of periodic duct cleaning continues, no evidence suggests that such cleaning would be detrimental, provided that it is done properly.
On the other hand, if a service provider fails to follow proper duct cleaning procedures, duct cleaning can cause indoor air problems. For example, an inadequate vacuum collection system can release more dust, dirt and other contaminants than if you had left the ducts alone.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4604 posts
1618 upvotes
I had all my ducts cleaned for $99 ... 416-618-3882 (MR. WONG)

7 vents on Main Floor
7 vents on the Second Floor
4 vents in the unfinished Basement

1800sf detached

Carpet cleaning was another $160 ... mainfloor, second floor, stairs
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1210 posts
315 upvotes
multimut wrote: Unless you have recently had renovation work done, why do you need to do duct cleaning?
Never had it cleaned since we took possession as I was in the same mindset. However as of late I've been having some allergy symptoms I've been trying to chase down. Some friends who have similar issues said they noticed a difference afterwards. Maybe it's psychological - but willing to give it a shot (especially since I'm in my house most days 24 hours.
sickcars wrote: I would stick with Davs Ducts, I follow them on Instagram and it looks like they good work. I also told a good family friend to give them a call and it cost them I think around $600 where the previous company was charging them $800 range.
Daves ducts will do a good proper job, the $159 special is going to go up in price and you may get some new guys in there that will rush the job.
Thanks - I think I'm going to go with Dave's.