Dec 1, 2016
118 posts
136 upvotes
calgary alberta
Looks real cheap! I like the price but I wonder about the quality
Jun 15, 2019
277 posts
483 upvotes
engineered wrote: Shows CA$23.89 for me.
Gotta add the coupon code right before pressing "Pay now"
bgrah158 wrote: Looks real cheap! I like the price but I wonder about the quality
Yeah, I get what you mean, but honestly there is a big gap between cheapest and good quality. And you can't go by price cause the same cheapest no-name stuff will be marked-up 3 times the price and be the same poor quality garbage. I often find that the good stuff is not that apparent... That you actually need some research to even find the good stuff. And other times there is no such thing as the the good stuff. There's just the common cheap things that need to be replaced once in a while.
Anyhoo, for my first time with such a tool these will do.
Oct 12, 2011
24 posts
24 upvotes
Calgary
rokask wrote: Gotta add the coupon code right before pressing "Pay now"

Yeah, I get what you mean, but honestly there is a big gap between cheapest and good quality. And you can't go by price cause the same cheapest no-name stuff will be marked-up 3 times the price and be the same poor quality garbage. I often find that the good stuff is not that apparent... That you actually need some research to even find the good stuff. And other times there is no such thing as the the good stuff. There's just the common cheap things that need to be replaced once in a while.
Anyhoo, for my first time with such a tool these will do.
If you use a router a bit here and there i'm sure they will be fine. If your big into wood working i doubt you'd be happy with them. The coatings on bits are super hard to make correctly so they last. I'd say yup, its a deal. Provided your expectations are kept in check. :)
May 10, 2016
461 posts
738 upvotes
Buy this set expecting them to be garbage and burn your workpiece a bit. See what you use and replace those ones with better quality bits. Freud is good value for a decent quality bit and Whiteside is another (harder to find) brand that makes pricier but better bits. Still good value though. Anything Lee Valley makes is great too but expect to pay top dollar for it.
Jun 24, 2019
89 posts
226 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Ive bought plenty of woodworking and metalworking consumables from sites like these and like others have said you always get what you pay for, which can be fine if your expectations are to use these a few times a year with ok results. Id much rather get 2 freud bits I need most than i 50pk of rando chinese bits that can launch a carbide tooth through my face.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
2690 posts
1858 upvotes
GTA
I am either blind, the discount is no longer applicable, or they purposefully hide where you can enter the discount code. I tried really hard to find it on the page, even added it to the cart and looked for an input area there but no go. Where is it?!?!

UPDATE: Found it. Sheesh... Have to login.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
2690 posts
1858 upvotes
GTA
As I said above, I was able to enter the discount code while in the cart and only after logging in. I noticed the discount and end price was higher (the math was incorrect) so I removed the item and tried to add it back in. Now the area to enter the discount code is gone again. Ah crap, I give up.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
2690 posts
1858 upvotes
GTA
Gave it one last try. Didn't notice before but had to "Proceed to Checkout" before it allows you to enter the discount code. However, when you enter the discount code, they RAISE the price from $24.37 to $25.65 before apply the discount of $4.53 so now it becomes CA$21.12. I've really had it with dealing with these stupid Chinese shops. Not a huge difference in price but just don't like these games they play.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
7466 posts
7525 upvotes
bgrah158 wrote: Looks real cheap! I like the price but I wonder about the quality
There's nothing to wonder, the quality will be bad.

This will be OK for a single project, with not too hard wood.

Try this with really hard wood and it will likely loose it's sharpness very quickly, causing burning.

While the idea of having a ton of different bits sounds good, in my experience you really only need one or two for most jobs. When you're doing something special you get a bit just for that.

I've gone down the path of bits like this, I consider them one time use disposable.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2008
1381 posts
365 upvotes
Ontario
I bought a similar set off amazon for about $25, they seem fine so far. I don't do much router work so I cannot attest to their longevity though
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2016
1247 posts
825 upvotes
You get what you pay for with these things, but as with every tool that you think you might need, a set like that is decent enough to confirm how much you actually need it. When the bits start to wear out, replace them with something better.
Last edited by TomRFD on Oct 25th, 2021 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed inappropriate comment
Nov 16, 2010
29 posts
Kitchener
I wouldn't take the chance if for professional use, but if you're a hobbyist or weekend diyer, then this is more than fine.
May 10, 2016
461 posts
738 upvotes
FYI, here's the bits you're most likely to use:
  • Straight bits - used for templates and duplicating patterns, eg. rounding corners. Top bearing is probably most useful. Bits without the bearing can be used with bushings. I like 1/2" diameter but sometimes you might want smaller to cut narrow slots or get sharper corners.
  • Roundover bits - used for rounding edges to give a nice finished feel to your project. I like 1/8" radius but 3/16" or 1/4" could be good too.
  • Chamfer bit - similar to roundover and more versatile.
Depending on what you're doing with them there will probably be others you want, but in this kit I doubt I'd touch the V-groove cutters, the cove bits, or the profile bit. The dovetail is critical if you want to cut dovetails by machine, but if you're doing that fine woodwork you'd probably want a better quality bit.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
46509 posts
6939 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Solarisphere wrote: Buy this set expecting them to be garbage and burn your workpiece a bit. See what you use and replace those ones with better quality bits. Freud is good value for a decent quality bit and Whiteside is another (harder to find) brand that makes pricier but better bits. Still good value though. Anything Lee Valley makes is great too but expect to pay top dollar for it.
If you're skilled (nimble) you can get these cheap bits to not burn and get some good use out of it. Still not comparable to a good router bit, but great price for those random bits that you use maybe once every year or two.

Other than the most popular bits (chamfer, roundover) most people are best to get the cheap bits and just replace them when they start to burn.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2313 posts
1351 upvotes
London
repatch wrote: While the idea of having a ton of different bits sounds good, in my experience you really only need one or two for most jobs. When you're doing something special you get a bit just for that.
Absolutely agree.

Starting out, people think they need a set.
Afterall, you buy a set of screwdrivers, wrenches or drill bits.
Router bits seem to work out differently.

Reality is, you'll probably never use 12 of the 15.
Three, you'll use a lot and wish you bought high quality.
Many others you'll buy separately, because they aren't in the set.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
7466 posts
7525 upvotes
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: Guys.... it's $20...
Ya, $20, that, IF you receive the item, after potentially 2 months, you'll note probably wasn't worth $20 after it's first use.

Buy the bits you need. Router bit sets are mostly just waste IMHO.