• Jul 29th, 2020 5:42 pm
[OP]
Jul 11, 2020
4 posts
2 upvotes
GTA

16/17 Honda Accord LED DRL Warranty - Canada

Hi everyone,

I am looking to purchase a used 2017 Accord Touring model. However, I am worried about the DRL LED overheat issue, which impacts the 2016 and 2017 Honda Accords. I have seen many 16/17 accords with blown out DRLs in the GTA area, so the issue is real and my car will most likely have it as well.

I know that there was a TSB (19-042) issued by American Honda, which has extended the headlight warranty to 10 years (reference: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/ ... 0-0001.pdf)

Does anyone know if Honda Canada has similar TSB?

Has anyone managed to get the headlight unit fixed at a Honda Dealer under warranty after 3Years/60000Km?

Any help would be much appreciated as this issue directly impacts my buying decision.

Thank You.
10 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10091 posts
964 upvotes
Toronto
Get the vin number, call Honda Canada and inquire about it
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Oct 8, 2019
259 posts
118 upvotes
I have a 2016 accord ex-l sedan. Ive had my headlight replaced while i was within the manufacture warranty. Soon after, i did get a letter from honda advising that my headlight warranty would be covered for 10 years.
[OP]
Jul 11, 2020
4 posts
2 upvotes
GTA
akito925 wrote: Get the vin number, call Honda Canada and inquire about it
I did call Honda but they wont give any information as I am not the owner yet.
[OP]
Jul 11, 2020
4 posts
2 upvotes
GTA
Some1rulez wrote: I have a 2016 accord ex-l sedan. Ive had my headlight replaced while i was within the manufacture warranty. Soon after, i did get a letter from honda advising that my headlight warranty would be covered for 10 years.
Oh, that is great to hear. I had the dealer call Honda Canada and they said that Honda doesn’t have any info as this was an american bulletin. They said Honda would issue a recall if there was an issue.

Would you be able to share the letter you received, it would help me get some leverage.
Jan 11, 2017
43 posts
44 upvotes
I have a 2016 Accord that also needed the headlight replaced because of the DRL burning out. I took it to the dealer and they replaced it free of charge. DRL is a safety issue so they shouldn’t give you a hard time even if it’s after the 3 year/60k warranty. I’m assuming your Honda was manufactured in Ohio so I don’t know why Canada wouldn’t be covered as well. The TSB is for 10 years/unlimited kms.
Images
  • 9602E68D-77B8-437E-8CFA-27685E7B8D19.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7613 posts
4242 upvotes
West GTEH!
Some1rulez wrote: I have a 2016 accord ex-l sedan. Ive had my headlight replaced while i was within the manufacture warranty. Soon after, i did get a letter from honda advising that my headlight warranty would be covered for 10 years.
I also received letter from Honda Canada for extended warranty (10 years) for the LED DRL. I have 2017 Touring.
😎
Oct 15, 2005
264 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
Just ask them to look up Campaign No. N90
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2677 posts
2156 upvotes
I got a 2016 Touring Accord and ya got the letter saying it got extended 10 years. Good thing too the passenger side was out at the time. Now my driver side just went this week. Apparently these are not cheap fixes either, according to my dealer (so ya know grain of salt) parts alone are like $500+ and then the labor is another few hundred.

So good on Honda for owning up to the issue really.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Aug 8, 2004
593 posts
359 upvotes
Ottawa
MZ_3 wrote: Just ask them to look up Campaign No. N90
I find it hard to believe the dealer doesn’t know about this, especially since they mentioned the Americans so obviously they searched for it.

I had the same issue as OP when asking my local dealer if there was a TSB about the transmission fill plug popping off.

Dealer said no but after searching online, someone found a PDF of the TSB.

This behaviour almost makes me think they do this on purpose. Their profit is a lot higher when it’s not a warranty claim.

TSBs should be public access like the Americans have.

Dealers can’t be trusted.
Oct 13, 2018
2 posts
My right side passenger DRL just went out..Called Honda and they know of the problem and will cover it under warranty..No cost to me..So dealerships do know about it and should fully cover it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)