$16.99 Oil Change - Fountain Tire

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2010 3:37 pm
[OP]
Nov 12, 2005
56 posts
6 upvotes

[Metro] $16.99 Oil Change - Fountain Tire

Just went online for a quote on some tires and found a small link in the quote window for a $16.99 oil change.

You need to go to Fountaintirecom, enter in your vehicle information, choose your tires for a quote, enter your location & name, then look for the link at the top of the final quote.

Mine says it expires at the end of December. Looks like Metro Vancouver only, but it might change with the postal code you put in.

Considering the next cheapest oil change in my area is $30, this is a steal.

Looks like this:

[IMG]http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af47 ... coupon.jpg[/IMG]
23 replies
Apr 8, 2007
821 posts
292 upvotes
anyone know of any cheap oil change places in toronto?
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2002
1327 posts
607 upvotes
Vancouver
mttm2005, thanks for the coupon.
Won't be able to make use of it since I won't need an oil change until Feb. Which place offers $30 oil change?
thanks
May 7, 2005
108 posts
3 upvotes
thanks OP--this is a great deal for Vancouver
Jul 16, 2004
385 posts
Try Gary's Automotive Repair
in brampton. $9.99 + $5 disposal + tax
118 oredna rd, about 3 minutes north of costco.

I get my oil done here.
"God is my favourite fictional character" :cheesygri
Feb 12, 2002
763 posts
180 upvotes
Vancouver
I'll check it out, hopefully they don't try to up-sell anything.
Nov 8, 2009
135 posts
9 upvotes
mttm2005 wrote: Just went online for a quote on some tires and found a small link in the quote window for a $16.99 oil change.

You need to go to Fountaintirecom, enter in your vehicle information, choose your tires for a quote, enter your location & name, then look for the link at the top of the final quote.

Mine says it expires at the end of December. Looks like Metro Vancouver only, but it might change with the postal code you put in.

Considering the next cheapest oil change in my area is $30, this is a steal.

Looks like this:

[IMG]http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af47 ... coupon.jpg[/IMG]
Better hope that the oil they use match your manufacturer's specification because usually most oil change places, especially cheap ones, use conventional 10W30 on all cars unless you tell them to use something else, and if its something else other than what they were giving you to begin with, they might charge you extra.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
1168 posts
53 upvotes
fsalim wrote: Better hope that the oil they use match your manufacturer's specification because usually most oil change places, especially cheap ones, use conventional 10W30 on all cars unless you tell them to use something else, and if its something else other than what they were giving you to begin with, they might charge you extra.
Yeah, prices like these set off my alarm bells. Except for the one time CT sale of oil + filter, the cheapest oil and filter I can buy is $16.99 to do the work myself. Even if they buy in bulk, I can't see them shaving more than $5 off that price. And, even for a 10 minute oil change, that means $30/hr of profit before expenses, assuming they are absolutely slammed all day.

No business can survive with profit levels that low, unless you're paying the employee (and you could only deal with one at that income rate) minimum wage. And that is not the person I want working with an item that can destroy my engine within minutes.
Dec 29, 2008
14 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
worked in Vancouver - Kingsway location today.
Dec 21, 2006
650 posts
23 upvotes
Richmond
shepd wrote: Yeah, prices like these set off my alarm bells. Except for the one time CT sale of oil + filter, the cheapest oil and filter I can buy is $16.99 to do the work myself. Even if they buy in bulk, I can't see them shaving more than $5 off that price. And, even for a 10 minute oil change, that means $30/hr of profit before expenses, assuming they are absolutely slammed all day.

No business can survive with profit levels that low, unless you're paying the employee (and you could only deal with one at that income rate) minimum wage. And that is not the person I want working with an item that can destroy my engine within minutes.
Are you not familiar with the concept of a loss leader? They might well be losing money on $16.99 oil changes, but they're just trying to get you in to their shop. There are probably lots of people who would never consider going to Fountain Tire for an oil change (like me) who will now go to them. Their hope is that I'll keep going back for oil changes and other service in the future. Also, factoring in the labour cost doesn't really make a ton of sense for a coupon offer. If they're offering this deal, it almost definitely means that most of their shops have spare capacity - they're paying guys to stand around doing nothing. Might as well put them to work and maybe attract a few new repeat customers in the process.

Having said all that, it's definitely possible that they only offer a 10W30 conventional at this price, since that's often the cheapest oil at these places. My car's manufacturer recommends 5W30, so I'll just have to see if this deal will work for me or not. You're obviously not going to get a synthetic at this price.
Jul 21, 2006
364 posts
5 upvotes
great deal
Good job fountain tire. You lurked me in the first time. :lol:
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2009
2003 posts
155 upvotes
I was in Burnaby today and drove into FT requesting for an oil change with this promo and they said I have to buy a tire(s) that are $69.99 or higher in order to get this offer. :|

I even showed them the printout and no where on the coupon said I have to buy any dam tire but they still declined.

So no go on Kingsway/Imperial. :mad:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 29, 2002
5401 posts
2384 upvotes
Vancouver
BUFFAR wrote: I was in Burnaby today and drove into FT requesting for an oil change with this promo and they said I have to buy a tire(s) that are $69.99 or higher in order to get this offer. :|

I even showed them the printout and no where on the coupon said I have to buy any dam tire but they still declined.

So no go on Kingsway/Imperial. :mad:
u should phone the Corp office and complain