[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11214 posts
6200 upvotes
Markham

19 year-old was going 218 km/h in a 100 km/h zone

https://www.blogto.com/city/2020/01/tee ... ast-plane/

I think anyone doing this should be suspended 1 yr on first offense, offender fined 1 times the value of the vehicle or minimum $25,000, car impounded and sold with funds going into "help victims fund".
No trial. Automatic.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
136 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12039 posts
1878 upvotes
innocent till proven guilty in Canada's court of law
Apr 24, 2013
524 posts
293 upvotes
Crna Gora
The stuff about licence being suspended and a fine is ok.
But no one should be allowed to take something that i paid with my own money. That's it.

Btw he is young and hot, I understand him. I drove 250 on 60 km road when I was 20 (not in Canada though)
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10869 posts
2701 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
+1 if I own the car then nobody should have the right to take it away and sell it. Take my license and deny the person from driving on the roads but sorry that my property and you have no right to get rid of it.
nimfomanijak wrote: The stuff about licence being suspended and a fine is ok.
But no one should be allowed to take something that i paid with my own money. That's it.

Btw he is young and hot, I understand him. I drove 250 on 60 km road when I was 20 (not in Canada though)
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11053 posts
7421 upvotes
GTA, ON
qaz393 wrote: innocent till proven guilty in Canada's court of law
Normally I'd say yes, but even if the radar gun wasn't calibrated, it's pretty easy to say that he was going over the posted speed limit. You blink and he's gone out of sight. Yeah.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
846 upvotes
sorry dipshits once you become a criminal then you have NO rights...
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19793 posts
4386 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
We cannot allow ourselves to think it's ok to remove the checks and balances that ensure justice is done. Enforcement and judicial must be kept separate, otherwise you have a police state.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Jan 8, 2015
351 posts
315 upvotes
Mississauga
400 series highway is a graveyard after midnight on a weekday.
I dont blame him as I did the same thing at 2am on a wed (not as fast)
Coming back from Orillia to Milton. Probably passed 10 cars total in 50 km. Which is why cops are there all the time.
Just seeing vast black emptiness and 4-6 empty lanes makes you want to just send it.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1361 upvotes
Maybe if people who did this sort of stuff knew they'd be sent for a 30 day mental health evaluation...
Sep 25, 2018
605 posts
1125 upvotes
You guys have too much mercy.

He should be banned from driving for life. Driving is a privilege, not right.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12214 posts
1131 upvotes
Brampton
In Germany they drive even faster everyday and its legal!
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13794 posts
3751 upvotes
Montréal

I dunno why ppl say stuff like that. I was young too and never did irresponsible things like that.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1514 posts
1634 upvotes
GTA
LOL @ all the comments here.

We were all young and dumb at some point in time; some more than others.
When you're 19, the world revolves around you and you don't know the value of life; especially other peoples.

Ask any person that had a sports bike when they were young.

The penalty should be harsh enough to deter himself and others from engaging in the same behaviour; not crippling for life.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34543 posts
20589 upvotes
Center of Universe
Lol at the officer breaking the law, by taking a pic of the radar with his phone.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19242 posts
3361 upvotes
Toronto
sebakaa wrote: 400 series highway is a graveyard after midnight on a weekday.
I dont blame him as I did the same thing at 2am on a wed (not as fast)
Coming back from Orillia to Milton. Probably passed 10 cars total in 50 km. Which is why cops are there all the time.
Just seeing vast black emptiness and 4-6 empty lanes makes you want to just send it.
Yep. There are still risks (animals and such), but he chose the right time of day to be safe around other drivers.
AlicW93740 wrote: You guys have too much mercy.

He should be banned from driving for life. Driving is a privilege, not right.
Get off your high horse. People make mistakes, and the driver evaluated the risk pretty well here. The highway is empty at night, and if you're going to speed that's when it's safest.

The fastest I've personally driven is about 165 on the 400 back in 2006-ish with nobody else around on a sunny afternoon. I was a passenger in a car that did over 200 on the QEW at about 3 AM back when I was around 20 though. I'm a perfectly safe and law-abiding driver these days.