• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2019 3:25 pm
[OP]
Dec 24, 2013
44 posts
7 upvotes
Richmond Hill

1997 Toyota Corolla Starter Motor Top Bolt difficult to access

I am trying to remove the top bolt of the starter motor for a 1997 Toyota Corolla 1.6 Litres. I am having issues accessing the top bolt. I have already removed the air filter assembly but there are wire harness and also there is a bracket mount almost blocking the access to the starter motor bolt.

I have watched 3 youtubes of 1997 Toyota Corolla starter motor replacement. But in the videos, the mechanic have already removed all the wire harness and mounts. I originally thought that they removed everything for the Youtube video for the camera shots.

Is it really necessary to remove so many wires and connectors to access the 1997 Corolla top starter mount?

Thank you for any suggestions or if you can share any tips in removing the top bolt of starter motor.
Last edited by acerview1001 on Sep 10th, 2019 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 replies
Nov 23, 2011
524 posts
508 upvotes
West GTA
I would probably visit a Toyota or Corolla specific forum for a question like this, you will probably have more luck.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
3187 posts
1175 upvotes
I have the 1993 Repair Manual for the Corolla. It is the book they use at the dealer (NOT the Haynes manual).

https://www.amazon.com/1993-Toyota-Coro ... B00119OAXC

Not 100 % sure it is the same for a 1996, but the book does NOT say to remove the wire harness. It indicates that the "wire clamp" must be removed. I suspect the "wire clamp" is the part you refer to as "bracket mount"
[OP]
Dec 24, 2013
44 posts
7 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I have searched in the Toyota corolla specific forums and all they said that the starter motor bolt access was very "tight".

Thanks you motomondo. I believe the 1993 model was an earlier Corolla model. In the youtube videos, they show it everything is easy but once your start doing it yourself, it is quite difficult to remove the starter motor.
Last edited by acerview1001 on Sep 10th, 2019 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
3187 posts
1175 upvotes
acerview1001 wrote: I have searched in the Toyota corolla specific forums and all they said that the starter motor mount was "tight".

Thanks you motomondo. I believe the 1993 model was an earlier Corolla model. In the youtube videos, they show it everything is easy but once your start doing it yourself, it is quite difficult to remove the starter motor.
You are right, it was my mistake.... the 1996 Corolla model is a different, newer generation, and most likely the starter is totally different....

Good luck.