• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2021 4:46 am
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 29, 2019
762 posts
326 upvotes

1foot hole beside well

I was setting something down on my well cap when my foot gave into the ground into a 1x1 foot space right beside the well casing. Initially I thought it was some kind of animal den but there didn't seem to be any other tunnels. The rest of the surface area seems fine. I filled it up with sand and thought no more of it but now Im wondering if I should have this investigated further? Could my well casing be leaking? The ground wasn't wet or anything and I haven't noticed any disruptions in our water quality. Our aquifer has obviously gone down quite a lot because the house and well are old. 40ish years and there has been a lot of construction going on over those 40 years.
4 replies
Jan 3, 2013
564 posts
202 upvotes
Winnipeg
I don't know the answer but sure am interested. Not sure where you are but here in Manitoba all the well companies would speak about that for free. Also a septic well hookup company would most likely help with advice.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5258 posts
2619 upvotes
Ottawa
It's hard to know without knowing how well compacted the area is around your wellhead. Some settling is normal but a sudden collapse is often a sign of water erosion below the surface level. If you have a pitless adapter for your pressurized line, the joint could have a minor leak which is causing some subsurface erosion. Personally, I would wait until the Spring and dig down until you encounter the pipe. Then, put it under pressure and see if there are any leaks. If all is okay, you backfill and all is okay. If not, you will at least know what you're replacing. If the pipes and joints are 40 years old, I would expect to be replacing something. Fortunately, it shouldn't be too expensive unless landscaping is in the way.

Good luck
[OP]
Aug 29, 2019
762 posts
326 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote: It's hard to know without knowing how well compacted the area is around your wellhead. Some settling is normal but a sudden collapse is often a sign of water erosion below the surface level. If you have a pitless adapter for your pressurized line, the joint could have a minor leak which is causing some subsurface erosion. Personally, I would wait until the Spring and dig down until you encounter the pipe. Then, put it under pressure and see if there are any leaks. If all is okay, you backfill and all is okay. If not, you will at least know what you're replacing. If the pipes and joints are 40 years old, I would expect to be replacing something. Fortunately, it shouldn't be too expensive unless landscaping is in the way.

Good luck
I hope this isn't in my future. My house was built over a pond.Grimacing Face

Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5258 posts
2619 upvotes
Ottawa
LOL. That would be pretty extreme. It's possible that somebody backfilled around your wellhead and threw construction debris in there along with soil. The debris rots away and leaves a void. It's best to assume that there's water erosion but be prepared for the happy surprise that it's something that simple.

How long have you been living in the house?