Cell Phones

Is 1GB of Data on the iPhone enough for 'normal' usage?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2009 10:16 am
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 2, 2009
39 posts
1 upvote

Is 1GB of Data on the iPhone enough for 'normal' usage?

Keeping in mind that I have wifi available to me almost everywhere during the day.

Do most of you with iPhone use anywhere near 6GB of data? Is 1GB enough?
26 replies
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3817 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
i have the 6gig plan. i reach almost 5 gigs every month. i also do tons of tv show/movie streaming from my home pc though. i'm sure for 'normal' usage (whatever that is) 1gb would be enough for the average person.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4312 posts
404 upvotes
Calgary
I am at 200mb already on my 3rd day , youtubing msn and emailing pictures. It's quite addicting to be online 24/7
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
2904 posts
2300 upvotes
Montreal
ya it is but the 6 gb is the same price a 1g if the promotion is still on
[OP]
Mar 2, 2009
39 posts
1 upvote
Hmm. I wouldn't be streaming televisions shows or movies (I prefer to sleep on public transit) but I'm sure I will want to be 'connected' 24/7 via Email, Twitter, YouTube, and FB.

If I get 1GB Data as part of a 'combo', can I upgrade to 6GB for an addition X dollars?
danzerino wrote: ya it is but the 6 gb is the same price a 1g if the promotion is still on
I thought 1GB was $20 and 6GB was $30?
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
2904 posts
2300 upvotes
Montreal
no 500 mb is 20 1 gb is 30 so just get 6
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
7009 posts
1407 upvotes
BC
danzerino wrote: no 500 mb is 20 1 gb is 30 so just get 6
This is a good point; I can't think of any reason to get the 1GB plan with Rogers currently offering the 6GB plan for the same price.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4428 posts
1005 upvotes
Am I blind or did Rogers remove the data plans from their site? I can't find any of them under the Wireless section "Add-ons" now.

Also, I was at an Apple Store speaking with a rep and they know that people are buying the iPhones and then just canceling data (lol), but some are suspecting that Rogers will be changing this policy. Don't take this as fact though.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
2904 posts
2300 upvotes
Montreal
I barely use 6 GB I maybe use 1.5 GB every month
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2003
2514 posts
116 upvotes
Mulder and Scully wrote: Also, I was at an Apple Store speaking with a rep and they know that people are buying the iPhones and then just canceling data (lol), but some are suspecting that Rogers will be changing this policy. Don't take this as fact though.
I've suspected for a long time they may change the policy, all new Fido activations now have a $200 DECF. Rogers has yet to set any policy changes but the ones that are affected the most are the 3rd party retailers who get major commission through data plan activations so if they start complaining then Rogers will probably clamp down and enforce a higher DECF or a holding period before cancellation.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
mlerner wrote: I've suspected for a long time they may change the policy, all new Fido activations now have a $200 DECF. Rogers has yet to set any policy changes but the ones that are affected the most are the 3rd party retailers who get major commission through data plan activations so if they start complaining then Rogers will probably clamp down and enforce a higher DECF or a holding period before cancellation.

$200 for DECF?
where you did you see this, it was always $100 at Rogers and Fido
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2003
2514 posts
116 upvotes
Lulz wrote: $200 for DECF?
where you did you see this, it was always $100 at Rogers and Fido
This is new policy as of last month and is now on the Fido site under terms and conditions.
If you subscribe to a data option, a Data Early Cancellation Fee (DECF) also applies if, for any reason, your data option is terminated prior to the end of your data option
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1589 posts
199 upvotes
I have 500MB and i find that is more than enough for me. I mostly average 300MB, and thats with me using it alot. I have it mainly for convenience value when on the road.

But I only use it for Email, Maps, Surfing, Weather and the odd YouTube downloads.

I don't stream video or music. (Thats what syncing to your computer is for, 16gb is more than enough to hold a few seasons of my TV show and enough music to keep me busy while on the GO Train)
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1894 posts
163 upvotes
Ottawa
danzerino wrote: ya it is but the 6 gb is the same price a 1g if the promotion is still on
AFAIK you have to sign up for a 3 year contract to get the 6GB at $30/mo.

Some of us don't like being tied up for that long.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
mlerner wrote: This is new policy as of last month and is now on the Fido site under terms and conditions.

http://www.fido.ca/web/content/internet ... il_options
unbelieveable

wow!
the fees just keep raising and raising.
i mean in the states they don't even know what data cancellation is.

data cancellation...the whole sentence doesn't even make sense.
whats next, callerID cancellation fee?