Travel

1h20m enough time to exchange

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2016 4:16 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Member
Jun 26, 2007
463 posts
96 upvotes
GTA

1h20m enough time to exchange

Trying to book a flight to Asia using Aeroplan.

The flight flies from YYZ to Washington Dulles and then to Tokyo. There is 1h20m in Washington Dulles for the connection. Is that sufficient?
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 20, 2004
5408 posts
1620 upvotes
Toronto
You'll clear US immigration in YYZ, and your baggage will be checked through to your final destination, so once you deplane in Dulles you just have to find the correct gate and head over to it.

If the arriving and departing flight are both from the same terminal you'll have plenty of time. In fact you would still even have time to transfer terminals, but cutting it a tad close.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2003
1498 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
I would give more buffer time for the transit, because last time I flew to Chicago for the only daily direct flight to Hong Kong I missed the flight due to a delay of the flight from Toronto to Chicago. I had a little less than 2 hours for catching the connection flight but still failed to accomplish. A supposingly 16 hours flight became 23 when United flew us to Tokyo to catch another flight to get to Hong Kong. That was horrid!
United We stand Victory in our Hand!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
13898 posts
8993 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Like others have said, apply for a NEXUS pass.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Member
Jun 26, 2007
463 posts
96 upvotes
GTA
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Like others have said, apply for a NEXUS pass.
How does a NEXUS pass help with the connection? I thought you would clear security and US customs in Toronto. Can you please explain? Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2009
7300 posts
4547 upvotes
Victoria, BC
fenomenon wrote: How does a NEXUS pass help with the connection? I thought you would clear security and US customs in Toronto. Can you please explain? Thanks!
You would definitely clear customs at YYZ.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
1397 posts
178 upvotes
Western Montreal
Both flights should be within the C/D concourse if you fly United, so you should have more than enough time. If you fly Air Canada express to IAD, you arrive at Z terminals so a little more difficult connection, but doable.
If your flight to Tokyo is on ANA, it departs from Concourse B. Again doable, but a possibly bit tight.

IAD can get really busy if you are traveling during a US holiday period so depending on your travel dates, keep that in mind.
[OP]
Member
Jun 26, 2007
463 posts
96 upvotes
GTA
tiggrrrrr75 wrote: Both flights should be within the C/D concourse if you fly United, so you should have more than enough time. If you fly Air Canada express to IAD, you arrive at Z terminals so a little more difficult connection, but doable.
If your flight to Tokyo is on ANA, it departs from Concourse B. Again doable, but a possibly bit tight.

IAD can get really busy if you are traveling during a US holiday period so depending on your travel dates, keep that in mind.
Thanks so much for the info. The flight from YYZ to IAD is Air Can and IAD to Tokyo NRT is on ANA. So looks like the time is a bit tight so I don't want to risk it.

I'm looking to depart 2 days earlier since there are more choices of flight. So Air Can from YYZ to Chicago O'Hare. 3h23m connection time. Then from Chicago O'Hare to NRT on ANA. This one should be pretty safe right?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2004
6214 posts
1990 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Like others have said, apply for a NEXUS pass.
You're the first person to say it.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
8735 posts
1627 upvotes
Vancouver
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Like others have said, apply for a NEXUS pass.
You trolling or just not reading? Not only is your advice wrong, but nobody even mentioned nexus (unless a post got deleted?). Nexus although amazing and worth it, will not help you.

Don't throw off people asking for advice, I only scold you because you say "like others have said"

OP if your flying in the winter I guess it's a bit riskier flying east to fly west. Washington has been beat up in recent years with snow and other b/s far more then toronto. if you're delayed and booked on one ticket the airlines will try to get you to where you are going asap if you miss a legal connection. However the cause of that delay, be it weather or airline fault will define how you are treated, weather impacts so many flyers it can really delay things. Too many if's to tell you what happens if you don't make it.

If it's anything besides weather demand the best flight arrangement to get to your destination which may include demanding a flight on their competing alliance flights.

Posting you're itinerary and description of classes along with what months you are flying would probably encourage the more veteran frequent flyers to comment on connections in certain airports.
Autocorrect sucks
[OP]
Member
Jun 26, 2007
463 posts
96 upvotes
GTA
I'm flying back early December. It's my first time redeeming Aeroplan miles as well and it's been a while since I flew back to Asia so appreciate your feedback.

My 2 options:
1) YYZ-> Vancouver (connection time 1h33m) -> NRT all on Air Can
2) YYZ -> Chicago O'Hare (connection time 2h30) -> NRT Air Can to Chicago and then ANA to NRT

I would assume option 1 is better? Don't have to go through US? Is the 1h33m connection time enough?

GangStarr wrote: You trolling or just not reading? Not only is your advice wrong, but nobody even mentioned nexus (unless a post got deleted?). Nexus although amazing and worth it, will not help you.

Don't throw off people asking for advice, I only scold you because you say "like others have said"

OP if your flying in the winter I guess it's a bit riskier flying east to fly west. Washington has been beat up in recent years with snow and other b/s far more then toronto. if you're delayed and booked on one ticket the airlines will try to get you to where you are going asap if you miss a legal connection. However the cause of that delay, be it weather or airline fault will define how you are treated, weather impacts so many flyers it can really delay things. Too many if's to tell you what happens if you don't make it.

If it's anything besides weather demand the best flight arrangement to get to your destination which may include demanding a flight on their competing alliance flights.

Posting you're itinerary and description of classes along with what months you are flying would probably encourage the more veteran frequent flyers to comment on connections in certain airports.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
8735 posts
1627 upvotes
Vancouver
fenomenon wrote: I'm flying back early December. It's my first time redeeming Aeroplan miles as well and it's been a while since I flew back to Asia so appreciate your feedback.

My 2 options:
1) YYZ-> Vancouver (connection time 1h33m) -> NRT all on Air Can
2) YYZ -> Chicago O'Hare (connection time 2h30) -> NRT Air Can to Chicago and then ANA to NRT

I would assume option 1 is better? Don't have to go through US? Is the 1h33m connection time enough?
Edit: def fly ana

Sorry this is not a route I fly regularly (flight washington to narita coming up) If you manage to fly all nippon metal, they are one of the few remaining who maintain a 2x4x3 seat layout in economy. Which as an economy solo flyer I really value. Of course plane/seating plans change. I don't think a single ac plane has this setup. Unlike the board, I do think AC Trans pacific economy as much as rfd rags on it, is pretty good if you enjoy a "few" glasses of wine, few being relative on 14 hr flights.

No doubt Ana seating is better.

Edit: also for your outbound flight, flying through the us is a non issue, you clear customs in toronto so unless you really plan on being last minute on an international (unlikely) the usa isn't a big deal.

On the way home flying through vancouver would mean canada customs there and no customs in toronto. Though you'd likely have a checked bag. However via usa you'd need to clear us customs (nexus/Ge helps) then clear canada customs (nexus helps) but an unnecessary extra step.

Best of luck on your travels!
Autocorrect sucks
[OP]
Member
Jun 26, 2007
463 posts
96 upvotes
GTA
Thanks. Will fly ANA as you suggested. This will be a solo trip.

Coming back is direct flight from HKG to YYZ on AC so no issues there!
GangStarr wrote: Edit: def fly ana

Sorry this is not a route I fly regularly (flight washington to narita coming up) If you manage to fly all nippon metal, they are one of the few remaining who maintain a 2x4x3 seat layout in economy. Which as an economy solo flyer I really value. Of course plane/seating plans change. I don't think a single ac plane has this setup. Unlike the board, I do think AC Trans pacific economy as much as rfd rags on it, is pretty good if you enjoy a "few" glasses of wine, few being relative on 14 hr flights.

No doubt Ana seating is better.

Edit: also for your outbound flight, flying through the us is a non issue, you clear customs in toronto so unless you really plan on being last minute on an international (unlikely) the usa isn't a big deal.

On the way home flying through vancouver would mean canada customs there and no customs in toronto. Though you'd likely have a checked bag. However via usa you'd need to clear us customs (nexus/Ge helps) then clear canada customs (nexus helps) but an unnecessary extra step.

Best of luck on your travels!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5224 posts
640 upvotes
Look into flying YYZ to HND. There is direct.

I just booked a aeroplan YYZ -> HKG -> HND -> YYZ all direct
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
8735 posts
1627 upvotes
Vancouver
Oni-kun wrote: Look into flying YYZ to HND. There is direct.

I just booked a aeroplan YYZ -> HKG -> HND -> YYZ all direct
If you are going to tokyo then yes hanida is a much closer airport. I wouldn't pay too much extra unless you really value time. The narita express should get you where your going in a little over an hour, but certainly if you can fly via hanida do it.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5224 posts
640 upvotes
GangStarr wrote: If you are going to tokyo then yes hanida is a much closer airport. I wouldn't pay too much extra unless you really value time. The narita express should get you where your going in a little over an hour, but certainly if you can fly via hanida do it.
It was I believe $5 more in aeroplan taxes. So a no brainer.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
6925 posts
3628 upvotes
I was going to book something similar on Aeroplan with a 80 minute layover at YVR (MEL-AKL-YVR-YYZ) with an airline switch (Air New Zealand to Air Canada) but decided against it.

Top