Expired Hot Deals

[1Password] 10 Month FREE: 1Password family account (New Users)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2020 8:41 pm
35 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2004
1746 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
I switched to Bitwarden a couple years ago after 1Password decided to go subscription based and screw people who bought lifetime licenses in the early days.

Oh and guess what, Bitwarden is FREE and works just as well as 1Password.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6308 posts
2071 upvotes
Vancouver
I'd recommend LastPass over anything else. 1Password IS very good though, if you disregards the complaints over their pricing( I am sorry what happened,but lots of companies did this and nobody is complaining)
Last Pass has most features of 1Password and completely free unless you want extras. I found it a bit more intuitive than the one recommended above, which no doubt is as good.

Do note, after using this for 10 months you will have to pay and will likely to pay as you will have a lot of passwords stored, a lot of time taken to learn,etc. This is why unless you really want to consider lastpass for long term use and you are happy to pay their fees, I'd urge to consider alternatives.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2004
1746 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
dazz wrote: I'd recommend LastPass over anything else. 1Password IS very good though, if you disregards the complaints over their pricing( I am sorry what happened,but lots of companies did this and nobody is complaining)
Last Pass has most features of 1Password and completely free unless you want extras. I found it a bit more intuitive than the one recommended above, which no doubt is as good.

Do note, after using this for 10 months you will have to pay and will likely to pay as you will have a lot of passwords stored, a lot of time taken to learn,etc. This is why unless you really want to consider lastpass for long term use and you are happy to pay their fees, I'd urge to consider alternatives.
Yes, agreed, Lastpass is also a good choice. It didn't work for my workflow as I required a Web based front end along with the Apps for iOS, Windows etc.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
6707 posts
5374 upvotes
dazz wrote: I'd recommend LastPass over anything else. 1Password IS very good though, if you disregards the complaints over their pricing( I am sorry what happened,but lots of companies did this and nobody is complaining)

LastPass keeps a list of all the websites you visit in plaintext to datamine you. Stay away.
Dec 26, 2015
423 posts
231 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Man just switched to bitwarfen and so far from my point of view just the same and free. I do miss the big red textbook that says my password is compromised. Ideally I would like that pop-up to happen when I am entering my password at a website where that password is used. I am hoping bitwqrfen can add this feature.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
2253 posts
500 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo, …
I use 1Password and have for a few years. I have never tried BitWarden, in fact I had never heard of it when I started using 1Password. LastPass is pretty loose with customer data, however, I'd avoid them like the plague.

Might check out Bitwarden when my current 1Password subscription ends.. thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Dec 24, 2006
233 posts
137 upvotes
Been using 1password for a while and it does the job. Not sure about last pass or bitwarden but we have people in our family all using different devices (android, iOS, windows) and haven't come across any issues.

Had my email hacked a few years where they sent out emails saying I was distressed in Spain and needed help which was annoying.

If it's free for 10 months then worth a shot.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
13711 posts
5325 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm just coming off a free year subscription of 1Password Family so I've been looking around for options to jump to. Based on recommendations from fellow RFDers I tried out BitWarden and it's been great so far. The free plan includes sharing with one other person which is enough for me to share passwords with my spouse. Everything that 1Password has that I need, BitWarden has so I'm good with the free plan.
Aug 6, 2019
78 posts
99 upvotes
Ontario
I use Google password, as long as my email is secure then I have no concerns.

How do these integrate into your daily password use on mobile?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3624 posts
3233 upvotes
Muskoka
I was on Lastpass when it was $12 or $18 yr. Then it went up. I switched to Bitwarden and it has been great. I also hooked it up with Authy so new devices required a 6 digit code in addition to my Bitwarden password. Authy is great as well for those platforms that support it. Basically it is similar to Google Authenticator
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
4005 posts
2555 upvotes
Toronto
thanks op, 10 months free good deal

however for those who have switched from 1P to Bitwarden, what is the process? can you easily import your db from one service to another? and i guess you must change all your passwords en masse when you move over from 1P because you don't want them to keep that info on their servers, correct?
Jun 4, 2012
782 posts
473 upvotes
BC
anyone on MYKI? a smaller scale operations but free as well. they claim to not store your passwords on the cloud and is held local on your phone
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2004
1204 posts
148 upvotes
GTA
how is Bitwarden able to offer this service free?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3624 posts
3233 upvotes
Muskoka
chadw01 wrote: thanks op, 10 months free good deal

however for those who have switched from 1P to Bitwarden, what is the process? can you easily import your db from one service to another? and i guess you must change all your passwords en masse when you move over from 1P because you don't want them to keep that info on their servers, correct?
I don't think you need to change all of your passwords. If it is like Bitwarden, they don't actually keep your passwords as the password. I don't know all the details but I understand they store some encrypted version and your master passwords unlocks a key which in turn returns a hash of the individual password and then the actual password is unlocked within your device, it does not get transmitted over the internet. But I did change my old Lastpass master password.

To move from Lastpass to Bitwarden there was instructions in Bitwarden how to do it.

SImilar post for 1Password
https://bitwarden.com/help/article/impo ... 1password/
Public Mobile
Nov 22, 2020
2 posts
Vancouver, BC

Honestly Lastpass Free is sufficient for my uses on PC and Android.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
4794 posts
847 upvotes
I've been using 1password for the past year with their free 1 year family promo. I've been very happy with it.
It sucks to have to pay to renew now, but paying for the service is worth it if it keeps my data safe.
"I live my life a quarter-mile at a time, for those 10 seconds or less... i'm free."

11 Never Summer Heritage, 08 Rome Targa
08 Nitro Eero Ettala 155, 07 Rome 390
07 Capita Outdoor Living 154
Cervelo Soloist Carbon Ultegra
Nov 20, 2010
248 posts
368 upvotes
One of those products where I want to upvote and downvote simultaneously. Great that its free though.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2012
1207 posts
2681 upvotes
OracerO wrote: how is Bitwarden able to offer this service free?
Wondering the same thing. If it's so great and it's free, how do they make their money?