Expired Hot Deals

[1Password] FREE 12-Month 1Password Families 5-User Password Manager Trial (Digital Dowload)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2020 1:50 am
Sep 15, 2012
634 posts
264 upvotes
Mississauga
rcxAsh wrote: In my view, password manager applications/services like 1Password and several of the others mentioned by other posters in this thread are intended to make it practical for the average person to use both strong and different passwords for every online account.

It is a security risk to use the same password for all your accounts because if one service has a data breach (or you fall victim to a phishing attack for one service) and your password is revealed, then an attacker immediately has access to all your other accounts since they all use the same password. If you have a different password for every account, this is not an issue any more. However, it is somewhat unreasonable to have someone remember a different password for every account these days since we have so many accounts. So people tend to either repeat the same password, use some weak variation of the same password, or use the same few passwords for related accounts, etc.

A password manager provides a secure method to store all your passwords so that you only have to remember the password for the password manager. The safety of your password manager also assumes that you use a strong and unique password for your password manager and that you have never and will never use that password for other accounts.
But how can you ensure these password managers won't be hacked?
Feb 14, 2019
639 posts
574 upvotes
kesleaf wrote: But how can you ensure these password managers won't be hacked?
Ideally you would secure it with a hardware key like Yubikey or something. Or at least an authenticator app. If you only use a password to secure your account that holds all your passwords, that's just silly.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4116 posts
1326 upvotes
GTA
kesleaf wrote: But how can you ensure these password managers won't be hacked?
Use a trusted service that has been audited and functions properly.

On a properly managed password manager service, everything is encrypted client side. This means the security of your data is dependent on the strength of your master password and possibly other mitigations such as using two factor authentication.

so think of a password manager service as basically just a service that handles a bunch of locked boxes to which, only the customer has the key to. Even if a hacker got into the building, they still have to be able to get into the locked boxes.

that's a pretty simplistic way of looking at it but yeah

and if you still don't trust them then there are already mentioned alternatives like KeePass which don't require the use of cloud sync so your database stays where you want it
May 18, 2007
638 posts
98 upvotes
I'm using Bitwarden, and Self hosted with Let's encrpt on my Synology NAS
Oct 19, 2015
786 posts
1164 upvotes
Vancouver
Have you guys come across any password manager with which you can pre-program specific websites to be opened at a specific time (eg. a.com/b.com/c.com at 9am on the 1st day of every month) and log in automatically?
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1424 posts
2640 upvotes
Markham
max011 wrote: This free... again... and again...???

They obviously are not doin' good...
It's not free, it's free for new users, and this is actually a brilliant way to get new customers. Their product actually has a strong lock in effect. Once you have a year's worth of password stored inside and got used to using it, most users are not going to want to go through the hassle of switching, so I imagine their user retention is one of the highest in subscription services.

Also, if I have all my passwords and bank info locked into a single program, I'm definitely not going to try to cut corners just to save a few bucks. 1password is much more secure than LassPass in that regard.
Dec 18, 2016
171 posts
357 upvotes
Edmonton
Apple is coming up with similar feature in iOS 14 for those who are interested or looking to extend their plan.
For some reason, I just trust with privacy more than any other company. They have proven again and again to be trusted.
Koodo: Unlimited calling $40 for 10 gb + 1000 international minutes
Banned
Feb 6, 2017
2176 posts
1256 upvotes
I like Bitwarden as well. No need to worry about subscription.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4216 posts
5409 upvotes
Vancouver
Dave510 wrote: It's not free, it's free for new users, and this is actually a brilliant way to get new customers. Their product actually has a strong lock in effect. Once you have a year's worth of password stored inside and got used to using it, most users are not going to want to go through the hassle of switching, so I imagine their user retention is one of the highest in subscription services.

Also, if I have all my passwords and bank info locked into a single program, I'm definitely not going to try to cut corners just to save a few bucks. 1password is much more secure than LassPass in that regard.
Yeah... maybe...

I'm keeping it all at home... Not to comfy to use, but only in KeePass I trust...
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
Dec 11, 2001
280 posts
53 upvotes
Manitoba, Canada
keddie2 wrote: Might be for new accounts only; created a test account and it says 366 days, no credit card was asked for either.

I've stopped using them a while ago when they shifted their business model and made old version obsolete with new browsers. Others might want to try bitwarden which is free or $10/yr for premium or $1/mo for families. Personally, I am using KeepassXC these days for cross platform compatibility with KeePass databases.
If you are on a Mac, you should still be able to use a standalone version as that is what I am using on my MacPro running High Sierra. I did have to contact them at the time because I didn't see on the website the option to continue using the non cloud standalone version, but I was able to purchase the updated version of stand alone software for I think $40. No monthly or yearly renewal fees for me.