154 upvotes

Password manager: 1Password family 1year free trial

Deal Link:
Price:
free
Retailer:
1Password
Third time see this promotion, according to previous experience:
1) You don't have to provide credit card information to get this promo, there is an "add later" option
2) It will show only1month trial in the cellphone app. Login on computer browser to see the remaining days.
3) Not sure when it expires.

https://start.1password.com/sign-up/family?c=CANVA2020
Thread Summary
1Password keeps your data in Canada so Canadian privacy laws apply. This is a good thing.

The other leading app, Last Pass, is an American company meaning your data is subject to American laws and you are treated as a non-citizen, which is very bad.
156 replies
Apr 7, 2019
548 posts
696 upvotes
Is this better than LastPass?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2009
1271 posts
278 upvotes
mr2711 wrote: Is this better than LastPass?
Have both, like 1password better atm.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8095 posts
1697 upvotes
Mississauga
Gbyrd wrote: Have both, like 1password better atm.
$6 monthly for a family account is pretty significant compared to free or $10 annually for Bitwarden.
Jan 6, 2008
362 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
Poutinesauce wrote: Bitwarden is free without having to pay year after year.
Could not agree more. Have been using Dashlane for years (still have time left until 2023) but have already switched to Bitwarden. Great password manager and works on all platforms and browsers and keeps all in sync.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
5968 posts
4187 upvotes
mr2711 wrote: Is this better than LastPass?
Lastpass stores all the websites you keep passwords for in plain text, and sells their users' site data. Nobody should use it.

cacamaca wrote: Could not agree more. Have been using Dashlane for years (still have time left until 2023) but have already switched to Bitwarden. Great password manager and works on all platforms and browsers and keeps all in sync.
I had Sticky Password lifetime and also switched to it because it works more smoothly and easily and integrates better.
Oct 7, 2017
550 posts
609 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote: Lastpass stores all the websites you keep passwords for in plain text, and sells their users' site data. Nobody should use it.

Source?

Edit: I'd like to know since it's my personal favorite. Works well in firefox, on iOS, and it's free.
Last edited by ClarkZuckerberg on Jan 17th, 2020 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 4, 2018
18 posts
86 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote: Lastpass stores all the websites you keep passwords for in plain text, and sells their users' site data. Nobody should use it.
Security practitioner here. Very interested in why you believe this. Source?

Moved away from 1Password once they started getting into subscriptions and stopped adding features to one-time purchase version. LastPass was a great, secure experience for me. Free plan was good enough.

I’ve since moved to MyKi which I like the most (integrated 2FA, no server storage, no subscription, etc.). Highly recommend Myki over all the above.
Jun 18, 2018
40 posts
24 upvotes
99.9% sure this is a load of bu**.
Please state a source.
LastPass is widely respected in this space, so unless you can provide some evidence, this would be fake news.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3521 posts
720 upvotes
Calgary
I use msecure, no subscription bullshit
Feb 20, 2011
566 posts
145 upvotes
downtown TO
I see a monthly fee when signing up..or is there a free option for Myki
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
8899 posts
11042 upvotes
GT-EH
DavidF41898 wrote: Security practitioner here. Very interested in why you believe this. Source?

Moved away from 1Password once they started getting into subscriptions and stopped adding features to one-time purchase version. LastPass was a great, secure experience for me. Free plan was good enough.

I’ve since moved to MyKi which I like the most (integrated 2FA, no server storage, no subscription, etc.). Highly recommend Myki over all the above.
keepass is also offline, encrypted, free and open source.
What's the best credit card for...
Behold, true glory. #PCMasterRace!