413 upvotes

Password manager: 1Password family 1year free trial

Deal Link:
Price:
free
Retailer:
1Password
Third time see this promotion, according to previous experience:
1) You don't have to provide credit card information to get this promo, there is an "add later" option
2) It will show only1month trial in the cellphone app. Login on computer browser to see the remaining days.
3) Not sure when it expires.

https://start.1password.com/sign-up/family?c=CANVA2020
Thread Summary
1Password keeps your data in Canada so Canadian privacy laws apply. This is a good thing.

The other leading app, Last Pass, is an American company meaning your data is subject to American laws and you are treated as a non-citizen, which is very bad.
156 replies
Apr 7, 2019
761 posts
902 upvotes
Is this better than LastPass?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2009
1426 posts
315 upvotes
mr2711 wrote: Is this better than LastPass?
Have both, like 1password better atm.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8270 posts
2012 upvotes
Mississauga
Gbyrd wrote: Have both, like 1password better atm.
$6 monthly for a family account is pretty significant compared to free or $10 annually for Bitwarden.
Jan 6, 2008
368 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
Poutinesauce wrote: Bitwarden is free without having to pay year after year.
Could not agree more. Have been using Dashlane for years (still have time left until 2023) but have already switched to Bitwarden. Great password manager and works on all platforms and browsers and keeps all in sync.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
6758 posts
5432 upvotes
mr2711 wrote: Is this better than LastPass?
Lastpass stores all the websites you keep passwords for in plain text, and sells their users' site data. Nobody should use it.

cacamaca wrote: Could not agree more. Have been using Dashlane for years (still have time left until 2023) but have already switched to Bitwarden. Great password manager and works on all platforms and browsers and keeps all in sync.
I had Sticky Password lifetime and also switched to it because it works more smoothly and easily and integrates better.
Oct 7, 2017
711 posts
1169 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote: Lastpass stores all the websites you keep passwords for in plain text, and sells their users' site data. Nobody should use it.

Source?

Edit: I'd like to know since it's my personal favorite. Works well in firefox, on iOS, and it's free.
Last edited by ClarkZuckerberg on Jan 17th, 2020 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 4, 2018
89 posts
293 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote: Lastpass stores all the websites you keep passwords for in plain text, and sells their users' site data. Nobody should use it.
Security practitioner here. Very interested in why you believe this. Source?

Moved away from 1Password once they started getting into subscriptions and stopped adding features to one-time purchase version. LastPass was a great, secure experience for me. Free plan was good enough.

I’ve since moved to MyKi which I like the most (integrated 2FA, no server storage, no subscription, etc.). Highly recommend Myki over all the above.
Jun 18, 2018
90 posts
49 upvotes
99.9% sure this is a load of bu**.
Please state a source.
LastPass is widely respected in this space, so unless you can provide some evidence, this would be fake news.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3730 posts
997 upvotes
Calgary
I use msecure, no subscription bullshit
Feb 20, 2011
599 posts
164 upvotes
downtown TO
I see a monthly fee when signing up..or is there a free option for Myki
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
9321 posts
12248 upvotes
GT-EH
DavidF41898 wrote: Security practitioner here. Very interested in why you believe this. Source?

Moved away from 1Password once they started getting into subscriptions and stopped adding features to one-time purchase version. LastPass was a great, secure experience for me. Free plan was good enough.

I’ve since moved to MyKi which I like the most (integrated 2FA, no server storage, no subscription, etc.). Highly recommend Myki over all the above.
keepass is also offline, encrypted, free and open source.
What's the best credit card for...
Behold, true glory. #PCMasterRace!
Aug 8, 2019
343 posts
198 upvotes
Is a service like this better than an encrypted notepad I use?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
6758 posts
5432 upvotes
DoNotBan wrote: 99.9% sure this is a load of bu**.
Please state a source.
LastPass is widely respected in this space, so unless you can provide some evidence, this would be fake news.
This has been known for years. It's like the fifth time I mention it in a Lastpass thread on RFD

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskNetsec/comm ... g_the_url/
LastPass could use this information to track what sites are in your vault, how often you visit them, how often you log into them, etc. I would encourage you to read their privacy policy for information on what they may share or sell to third parties. Having this type of data on millions of users would be extremely valuable.
Worst of all, URLs can (and often do) contain sensitive data. For example, an HTTP basic auth URL might look like this: https://username:password@website.com. Or you might unknowingly store a URL that contains a password reset token in it (which isn’t hard to do with LastPass’s features that assist you in automatically onboarding new sites in your vault). It’s important that you audit your site’s URLs in LastPass for any such data.
Think about it, Logmein provides dozens of millions of free accounts to people. Do you really think they are doing this for free? They also did the same thing for Xmarks when they ran it, before it got shut down.

Why would I use a product from a dubious company like Logmein, when there is a more trustworthy alternative that doesn't send all my visited sites to a third party in plain text? My site history is nobody's business but mine. And for that matter, why would I pay every year for 1password to pay their employees' GTA office and wages?

As a consumer, there is a simple rule in three words to follow when you wonder why something doesn't make sense: follow the money.
Last edited by Poutinesauce on Jan 17th, 2020 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mar 6, 2019
197 posts
209 upvotes
My year subscription is due to end in August, have paid for 2 years. Made a new account and will migrate everything over so I get a few months for free down the line!

Considering how many times they’ve done this yearly free promotion, I don’t know why I renewed lol. I guess they are still trying to get word out considering how much competition is now in this space.

FWIW, 1Password is by far my favourite out of all the options. They are also a Canada based company!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)