Home & Garden

This 1st floor ceiling damage is from water right?

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2020 2:10 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17787 posts
4373 upvotes
Toronto

This 1st floor ceiling damage is from water right?

I just noticed this on the ceiling of my main floor. It's completely dry, and I can see no mold. However, it looks to me like water damage. Am I right?

Right above this is a bathroom with bathtub. A shower is also in the bathroom, but further away from this damaged area on the floor below. I'm not sure how old the damage is but it definitely less than a couple of years old.

IMG_9684.jpeg
IMG_9685.jpeg
IMG_9686.jpeg
IMG_9687.jpeg
IMG_9688.jpeg

I suspect it may be from my kids since they splash around in the bathtub there. They've mostly grown out of it now, but in the past there would be quite a bit of water on the floor. The wall on one side of the bathtub (opposite the side with the window) has peeling paint, and on the floor the register cover (near the window) has rust.

IMG_9689.jpeg
IMG_9690.jpeg
IMG_9691.jpeg
IMG_9692.jpeg

Do you think I need to get someone to cut a hole in the ceiling and have a look around? I think I know what you guys and gals are going to say... If so, who to get? I don't think a general contractor is going to waste their time on something like this, but I don't know how much I'd trust a handyman.

BTW, I also need some door frames redone due to water damage from rain, but I suspect it would be a different contractor doing that. One of the door frames is above this ceiling, but about 8 feet away from this damaged area so I don't think it's coming from there.
5 replies
Sep 15, 2017
292 posts
257 upvotes
Saskatoon
Hows the roof look? Any attic you can go up into?
Temp. Banned
Aug 18, 2019
220 posts
174 upvotes
99% sure it is. I've got similar layout and similar symptoms. Is it growing still? If not then you're good. If yes then you've gotta find the source
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17787 posts
4373 upvotes
Toronto
oilerfan89 wrote: Hows the roof look? Any attic you can go up into?
Roof was replaced a few years ago. No attic, as I have cathedral ceilings. Roof is above this bathroom and looks fine.

liemhoho wrote: 99% sure it is. I've got similar layout and similar symptoms. Is it growing still? If not then you're good. If yes then you've gotta find the source
Well, I've only seen it for the first time today. However, it's completely dry, so it must have happened a while ago. I just never bothered looking there in a long time. I only noticed it today when I was looking to change some pot light light bulbs (elsewhere in the room).
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4830 posts
1635 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote: Roof was replaced a few years ago. No attic, as I have cathedral ceilings. Roof is above this bathroom and looks fine.

Well, I've only seen it for the first time today. However, it's completely dry, so it must have happened a while ago. I just never bothered looking there in a long time. I only noticed it today when I was looking to change some pot light light bulbs (elsewhere in the room).
I'd say take photos and monitor. You have a reasonable explanation that seems to make sense if kids are/were splashing and you can see there was significant water on the floor in other places in the bathroom. Stop the splashing and check it regularly, would be my non-professional recommendation.
Temp. Banned
Aug 18, 2019
220 posts
174 upvotes
Yeap same here. Mine's dry too. I put a tape on my ceiling to mark the spots and see if they're growing. In my case it was caused by faucet drain contol leaking to the cabinet underneath for months and eventually going down to lower level ceiling. Baffled me for months!