Home & Garden

1st Hot Tub - Cover lifter buying advice

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2019 3:28 pm
[OP]
May 21, 2019
2 posts

1st Hot Tub - Cover lifter buying advice

We purchased our 1st hot tub, and the one thing left to buy is a cover lifter.

I am looking for advice from hot tub owners... Manual vs Hydraulic lifters? Specific models?

Feedback appreciated.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2607 posts
924 upvotes
Nunavut
Manual is fine for most people and cases, hydraulic for me is a waste of money.. the cover isn't really *that* heavy.. maybe if you have physical challenges where you might need the help
[OP]
May 21, 2019
2 posts
I assume you don't need to fully open when you add chemicals? That is the only use case that I would see benefit in the hydraulic, to be able to fully open (by yourself) when you are not in the tub.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7166 posts
4351 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I've never had a problem lifting and removing a hot tub cover (and I'm a woman, not some "he-man"). I wouldn't choose to spend my money on a hydraulic one (unless I was disabled somehow).
Jan 14, 2007
564 posts
187 upvotes
GTA North
We have a manual.
Cover buddy or something like that.
Very easy and simple to operate. Had to actually look up and see what a hydraulic lifter did
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15463 posts
12662 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Save your money.
The manual lifters are easy to operate.
When in use, it’s not so much that the cover is heavy, as it is big & bulky
Unless you are truly frail or elderly
You’ll get by perfectly fine with a manual model.

PS... head to a good spa store
Like Arctic Spa
They’ll have tubs set up on the floor with lifters attached that you can try out

When buying a cover, IMO the most important thing is thickness & durability
More than weight
That should be your primary concern
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga
jmccrack6501 wrote: We purchased our 1st hot tub, and the one thing left to buy is a cover lifter.

I am looking for advice from hot tub owners... Manual vs Hydraulic lifters? Specific models?

Feedback appreciated.
pm sent
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
Agreed, go for manual unless you have some sort of physical ailment
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
redgrandam wrote: Is top or bottom lifter best for one that is sitting just on top of the groun (on gravel no deck around it).

Anything wrong with the ones from Home Depot?

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/canadi ... 1000788319

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/canadi ... 1000702139
I have a top lifter, no issues with it. It sits on a stamped concrete patio. Difference is whether it's mounted to the tub or attached to the ground/base.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15463 posts
12662 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
fusion2k2k wrote: I have a top lifter, no issues with it. It sits on a stamped concrete patio. Difference is whether it's mounted to the tub or attached to the ground/base.
I’ve always been under the impression that bottom lifters require more room, cause the base is on the ground.

So this post is confusing ... as to what sits on the stamped concrete patio (hot tub ? ... certainly not the cover lifter with the top of tub attachment point)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga
jmccrack6501 wrote: We purchased our 1st hot tub, and the one thing left to buy is a cover lifter.

Feedback appreciated.
Hey I pm you the information and haven't heard back from you. If not interested plmk and I will list on Kijji.