Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

2,000 W Dual Fuel Portable Inverter Generator $639.99 (160 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2022 9:56 pm
Jun 23, 2017
96 posts
51 upvotes

[Costco] 2,000 W Dual Fuel Portable Inverter Generator $639.99 (160 off)

https://www.costco.ca/champion-2%2c000- ... 87614.html

Ordered the 2000w dual fuel and I am gonna return the firman 2000w unopened box.
I know 2000w is not much, but I am old and the weight of a bigger generator is to much for me. All I need is to power the furnace in the winter and the 2 refrigerators. I have 2 propane tanks around, one always full, this should keep me up and running for a few hours, if the outage is longer I can switch to gasoline.
Probably powerful enough for some campers with smaller AC units, definitely not enough for big RVs.

Another generator is still on sale for today, the 4500 w inverter, just gas, not dual fuel but more than double the power output
https://www.costco.ca/champion-4500-wat ... 46855.html

Before anybody asks, neither of these inverter generators have 240V output, you will need an open frame generator for that.
Thread Summary
For info on generators there is a useful summary here: generators-notes-summary-2545241/
20 replies
Jan 24, 2016
116 posts
180 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I bought this a few years ago for emergency backups. Basically just wanted something that could power the fridge and a few electronics in the event that I lost power for a few days. I’ve only used it a couple of times and it’s started effortlessly both times. Note that the choke instructions aren’t the best. I made a comment at the bottom of this thread with some tips. You might need to fiddle with yours to find the sweet spot.

costco-ca-champion-2k-inverter-generato ... 2377652/3/
Jun 23, 2017
96 posts
51 upvotes
Thank for the tips. I will follow them and report back. I'm not gonna bother with a transfer switch because the power output is modest, I just plan to use one of this through wall kits right by the furnace wall and run extension cords to the refrigerators.
https://www.lowes.ca/product/generator- ... lsrc=aw.ds
Mar 13, 2010
95 posts
38 upvotes
The kit from Lowes looks like it takes a 240v cord. You’ll have to modify the cord that feeds the kit since your 2000w Champ puts out 120 only.
Jun 23, 2017
96 posts
51 upvotes
You are right, but I plan to make my own cord, and bridge together the 2 prongs corresponding to the 2 hots (phases) no big deal.
I found a ridiculously expensive adapter
https://www.amazon.ca/Parkworld-Combine ... r=8-8&th=1

And ofcourse the lazy man solution is to drop a standard 12 awg power cord extender through the mail box right by the furnace and forget about drilling the wall and installing outlets and so on.
Nov 30, 2013
956 posts
1318 upvotes
Get on sale again. It was $500 something at one point but everything is more expensive.

Dual fuel so can be used with RV propane.

FCFCC6C6-8421-4701-AD2A-0E736C4D6920.jpeg
Jul 6, 2005
397 posts
191 upvotes
Would this be a good choice to have around for those times when the power goes out in the house? Just for the fridge or maybe a television to keep my wife from getting bored?
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
3000 posts
2243 upvotes
GTA
Same question as above so just a bump. For my area we get more than our fair share of power outages. Though this wouldn't have helped, in the last 5 days we had 2 outages lasting about 10 seconds each :(
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
2157 posts
3003 upvotes
Xpdite wrote: Would this be a good choice to have around for those times when the power goes out in the house? Just for the fridge or maybe a television to keep my wife from getting bored?
Britex wrote: Same question as above so just a bump. For my area we get more than our fair share of power outages. Though this wouldn't have helped, in the last 5 days we had 2 outages lasting about 10 seconds each :(
Keep in mind generator make a lot of noise, unless you have a good place to put it in the backyard out of the way it is going to be annoying. Plus it require manual start.

For your case where power failure is common, something like a solid power station might be much more reasonable. You just hook it up to whatever need the power and leave it in. Most of them can automatically kick in. They don't produce much noise beside the cooling fan, and safe to use indoor.
Nov 12, 2019
340 posts
1191 upvotes
If you don't need dual fuel, the open frame inverter is a better choice, imo, for not much more than this (699 regular price) but with double the wattage.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
3000 posts
2243 upvotes
GTA
Cucumference wrote: Keep in mind generator make a lot of noise, unless you have a good place to put it in the backyard out of the way it is going to be annoying. Plus it require manual start.

For your case where power failure is common, something like a solid power station might be much more reasonable. You just hook it up to whatever need the power and leave it in. Most of them can automatically kick in. They don't produce much noise beside the cooling fan, and safe to use indoor.
Gees... Make that 3 outages as I just had one and again it was less than 10 seconds.

I already have a few UPS but they would only last between 30 minutes to an hour. The time when it lasted a few days we lost lots of food plus, god forbid, no Internet! I don't mind if it's manual start but the food and Internet must be maintained! So I'll look into this solid power station. Thanks.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32144 posts
15425 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Cucumference wrote: For your case where power failure is common, something like a solid power station might be much more reasonable. You just hook it up to whatever need the power and leave it in. Most of them can automatically kick in. They don't produce much noise beside the cooling fan, and safe to use indoor.
Can you provide some links?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21468 posts
4884 upvotes
YUL
Xpdite wrote: Would this be a good choice to have around for those times when the power goes out in the house? Just for the fridge or maybe a television to keep my wife from getting bored?
Yes it will be fine for that. I have a 4500w Champion but I’m running a sump pump, fridge, full freezer, lights, fans,tv, etc. For a fridge, tv and a few other things it’s perfect
Jun 23, 2017
96 posts
51 upvotes
I've got the generator a few days back but just today I had the time to break in the engine on propane.
No luck following markthomas594 advice. I was playing with the choke position, nothing. Then I decided to take a beer and open the manual. Guess what, it worked. So, I've close the choke, pull the cord slowly 4-5 times for priming, open the choke (put it on RUN) and pull the cord fast. In my case following the manual instruction got the generator working. I know, is counter intuitive for someone who's being around small engines with carburetors, but I guess propane is a little bit different than gasoline. Run the engine for 5 h, changed the oil 3 times, I know, I over did it, it runs well my furnace, I'm happy.
Based on the fuel gauge on the propane tank, I estimate around 20h+ run on a full tank, at about 40% load.
It is decently quiet, no complains here.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
2628 posts
3024 upvotes
Canada
najibs wrote: Yes it will be fine for that. I have a 4500w Champion but I’m running a sump pump, fridge, full freezer, lights, fans,tv, etc. For a fridge, tv and a few other things it’s perfect
is that 4500w starting or running? and do you have it hardwired with a auto switch or manual? If with a switch, which switch?
USA eSIM Free Trials Telus: $30/75GB CA/US x4 • $0 X00GB Bonus • $0 AW x2 • $0 CA/US Tablet SIM(x4) | Freedom: $27.50 30GB CA/1GB USA • $25/Year Unlimited T/T/7GB/Mo Data
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
2628 posts
3024 upvotes
Canada
https://www.costco.ca/champion-4000-w-o ... 43641.html

This open frame one with higher watts seems to be a better deal.

Or enclosed one if you wish to dish out more cash:

More importantly at this point I need to find a good deal on a shed lol, my garage is getting swamped with too many things.
USA eSIM Free Trials Telus: $30/75GB CA/US x4 • $0 X00GB Bonus • $0 AW x2 • $0 CA/US Tablet SIM(x4) | Freedom: $27.50 30GB CA/1GB USA • $25/Year Unlimited T/T/7GB/Mo Data
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4046 posts
8912 upvotes
Vancouver
Britex wrote: Same question as above so just a bump. For my area we get more than our fair share of power outages. Though this wouldn't have helped, in the last 5 days we had 2 outages lasting about 10 seconds each :(
So you paid $32/second for power...

Lol
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
3000 posts
2243 upvotes
GTA
Samshares wrote: https://www.costco.ca/champion-4000-w-o ... 43641.html

This open frame one with higher watts seems to be a better deal.

Or enclosed one if you wish to dish out more cash:

More importantly at this point I need to find a good deal on a shed lol, my garage is getting swamped with too many things.
Comparing the Enclosed versus Open Frame, here's what I gather are the main differences:
Enclosed / Open Frame
Price: $899.99 / $699.99
Noise level: 61 dBA (does not specify distance) / 64 dBA at 7 m (23 ft.)
Wattage: 4500W starting and 3500W running / 4000W peak and 3300W running
Motor: 212 cc Champion engine / 224 cc Champion OHV gasoline engine
Run time: 14 hours @ 25% load / 17 hours @ 25% load
Fuel Capacity: 8.52 L (2.25 Gallon) / 10.98 L (2.9 Gallon)

Is the main advantage of the enclosed version just quieter? I'm guessing they cannot be used inside the house since they are both gas engines?
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21468 posts
4884 upvotes
YUL
Britex wrote: Comparing the Enclosed versus Open Frame, here's what I gather are the main differences:
Enclosed / Open Frame
Price: $899.99 / $699.99
Noise level: 61 dBA (does not specify distance) / 64 dBA at 7 m (23 ft.)
Wattage: 4500W starting and 3500W running / 4000W peak and 3300W running
Motor: 212 cc Champion engine / 224 cc Champion OHV gasoline engine
Run time: 14 hours @ 25% load / 17 hours @ 25% load
Fuel Capacity: 8.52 L (2.25 Gallon) / 10.98 L (2.9 Gallon)

Is the main advantage of the enclosed version just quieter? I'm guessing they cannot be used inside the house since they are both gas engines?
Enclosed is quieter, yes.
If you use these inside your house, you will die of carbon monoxide poisoning. Never ever use a generator in an enclosed space. Not even in an open garage. Carbon monoxide can still get in your house. I use my generator 15ft away from my house.