Computers & Electronics

2.4Ghz Wireless EARBUD style headset (non bluetooth)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2020 3:47 pm
[OP]
Feb 17, 2019
161 posts
79 upvotes

2.4Ghz Wireless EARBUD style headset (non bluetooth)

Greetings,

Working from home I have an earmuff style wireless headset, that gets rather uncomfortable and hot on my ears after a few hours. I would much prefer the light weight of earbuds with a microphone. I will be connecting these to Windows 10 to make calls over VOIP. The problem is that Windows 10 has terrible support for bluetooth Voice communication and the voice quality is piss poor.

I have been looking at "Gaming" headsets that instead use 2.4Gzh wireless but these things are even bigger and more cumbersome. Are there earbud style headsets that use 2.4Ghz wireless and NOT bluetooth available or are the components just too big to fit in something that is small and earbud-style.

Thanks..
9 replies
Mar 2, 2014
738 posts
403 upvotes
Georgios21 wrote: Greetings,

Working from home I have an earmuff style wireless headset, that gets rather uncomfortable and hot on my ears after a few hours. I would much prefer the light weight of earbuds with a microphone. I will be connecting these to Windows 10 to make calls over VOIP. The problem is that Windows 10 has terrible support for bluetooth Voice communication and the voice quality is piss poor.

I have been looking at "Gaming" headsets that instead use 2.4Gzh wireless but these things are even bigger and more cumbersome. Are there earbud style headsets that use 2.4Ghz wireless and NOT bluetooth available or are the components just too big to fit in something that is small and earbud-style.

Thanks..
I have never used 2.4Ghz wireless headsets but I am wondering if you *know* whether they are more reliable than the bluetooth ones on Windows 10?
I have been through crappy bluetooth support for many bluetooth devices on Windows but have had success with Anker soundbuds slim
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2762 posts
1316 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not sure what you mean by crappy bluetooth support. Every Windows 10 machine uses the same drivers. Are you sure it's not your headset or the placement of your bluetooth dongle? The range of bluetooth isn't that great and other wireless signals can interfere with bluetooth a lot. I would suggest putting the dongle on your desk close to you.

I've gone through some cheap and crappy bluetooth headphones with terrible crackling sound. Once I changed the headphones up to something else everything was much better. No issues with sound nor the mic. I'm using the Logitech H800 for online meetings. They also come with a dongle. I see a lot of people on the news being interviewed via online chat using what looks like Apple Airpods and they sound great. I assume those people can hear clearly as well.

[EDIT]: I find that some cheap bluetooth dongles just plain suck. I've started only buying the ASUS bluetooth dongles and they've been rock solid for me.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Feb 17, 2019
161 posts
79 upvotes
ds2chan wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by crappy bluetooth support. Every Windows 10 machine uses the same drivers. Are you sure it's not your headset or the placement of your bluetooth dongle? The range of bluetooth isn't that great and other wireless signals can interfere with bluetooth a lot. I would suggest putting the dongle on your desk close to you.

I've gone through some cheap and crappy bluetooth headphones with terrible crackling sound. Once I changed the headphones up to something else everything was much better. No issues with sound nor the mic. I'm using the Logitech H800 for online meetings. They also come with a dongle. I see a lot of people on the news being interviewed via online chat using what looks like Apple Airpods and they sound great. I assume those people can hear clearly as well.

[EDIT]: I find that some cheap bluetooth dongles just plain suck. I've started only buying the ASUS bluetooth dongles and they've been rock solid for me.
Apple has a different Bluetooth implementation from Windows and they use a different Codec.

That Logitech Dongle you are referring to most likely their proprietary wireless connection that is better than bluetooth.

Bad Bluetooth sound quality is ubiquitous in Windows 10.

It is better explained here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/354321/why-bl ... ndows-pcs/

Try connecting the Logitech without the dongle using Bluetooth on WIndows 10 if you can. You should notice a huge drop in quality.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2762 posts
1316 upvotes
Toronto
Georgios21 wrote: Apple has a different Bluetooth implementation from Windows and they use a different Codec.

That Logitech Dongle you are referring to most likely their proprietary wireless connection that is better than bluetooth.

Bad Bluetooth sound quality is ubiquitous in Windows 10.

It is better explained here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/354321/why-bl ... ndows-pcs/

Try connecting the Logitech without the dongle using Bluetooth on WIndows 10 if you can. You should notice a huge drop in quality.
I forgot to mention that I do use the Logitech H800 via bluetooth and it's been crystal clear for me. I haven't had any issues and I used it to listen to YouTube videos too. Work bought me one for use in the office and I bought one for myself to use at home. I tried it on my Android phone too and it's been great (I know we're talking about Windows 10 but I figured I would throw that in there).

I read the article but I didn't experience any of those things but the article is 2 years old now. Maybe MS fixed their bluetooth drivers? I did try using cheap bluetooth dongles from China before and they were just a waste of money and time.

The one thing I saw in the article that still seems like is true is it said that "it will only sound good if certain conditions are met." I believe the dongle has to be good quality and the dongle needs to be close to your device because things seem to be able to interfere with bluetooth. Neither of these are Microsoft's fault. I'm not sure if there are any other conditions that I'm missing but I'm sure there are others.

Maybe try your headset with a laptop or somebody else's laptop if you can just to see. For the longest time I thought bluetooth sucked but I think most of my problems were coming from cheap Chinese dongles and cheap Chinese headphones. Even the cheap headphones didn't work probably with Android phones.

[OP]
Feb 17, 2019
161 posts
79 upvotes
ds2chan wrote: I forgot to mention that I do use the Logitech H800 via bluetooth and it's been crystal clear for me. I haven't had any issues and I used it to listen to YouTube videos too. Work bought me one for use in the office and I bought one for myself to use at home. I tried it on my Android phone too and it's been great (I know we're talking about Windows 10 but I figured I would throw that in there).

I read the article but I didn't experience any of those things but the article is 2 years old now. Maybe MS fixed their bluetooth drivers? I did try using cheap bluetooth dongles from China before and they were just a waste of money and time.

The one thing I saw in the article that still seems like is true is it said that "it will only sound good if certain conditions are met." I believe the dongle has to be good quality and the dongle needs to be close to your device because things seem to be able to interfere with bluetooth. Neither of these are Microsoft's fault. I'm not sure if there are any other conditions that I'm missing but I'm sure there are others.

Maybe try your headset with a laptop or somebody else's laptop if you can just to see. For the longest time I thought bluetooth sucked but I think most of my problems were coming from cheap Chinese dongles and cheap Chinese headphones. Even the cheap headphones didn't work probably with Android phones.
Have you tried using the Logitech over Bluetooth on Windows? On Android it may sound good but on Windows it will be worse.
I've researched this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... s_poor_in/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads ... t.3560762/

All high end gaming headsets use bluetooth and an "optional" 2.4ghz adapter because the bluetooth quality on windows is terrible.

https://www.pcgamer.com/best-wireless-gaming-headset/
[OP]
Feb 17, 2019
161 posts
79 upvotes
scorown wrote: I have never used 2.4Ghz wireless headsets but I am wondering if you *know* whether they are more reliable than the bluetooth ones on Windows 10?
I have been through crappy bluetooth support for many bluetooth devices on Windows but have had success with Anker soundbuds slim
Yeah they are miles ahead. Take a look at any wireless gaming headsets with a 2.4 Ghz wireless adapter. They are significantly better. You'll be blown away.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2762 posts
1316 upvotes
Toronto
Georgios21 wrote: Have you tried using the Logitech over Bluetooth on Windows? On Android it may sound good but on Windows it will be worse.
I've researched this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... s_poor_in/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads ... t.3560762/

All high end gaming headsets use bluetooth and an "optional" 2.4ghz adapter because the bluetooth quality on windows is terrible.

https://www.pcgamer.com/best-wireless-gaming-headset/
Yeah, I use the H800 with Windows on Microsoft Teams for my meetings. That's what I meant when I said it's been crystal clear for me. I only mentioned my Android phone because I tried it on that as well. I said Android phone too meaning Windows and Android. I used it to watch YouTube videos in Windows too and it's crystal clear. I don't get any interference either but my bluetooth dongle is on my desk in front of me.

My wife is using an ASUS bluetooth dongle too with the Sony WH-H900N in Windows 10 for her Teams meetings and it's crystal clear as well. I tried it out on her laptop when I first connected it to her laptop. Loud and clear.

EDIT: Are you playing games or going into meetings or something else? The articles that you have been linking mentioned about gaming. I would imagine that using the headsets in meetings would be similar though since I'm listening and talking at the same time.

[OP]
Feb 17, 2019
161 posts
79 upvotes
I appreciate the help but I think we are miscommunicating. That 2.4 Ghz dongle that comes with the logitechss isn't a bluetooth dongle. It's a proprietary logitech 2.4ghz dongle that is better than bluetooth in Windows 10. I'm basically taking calls in a call centre environment so microphone quality is much more important than playback quality. From the research i have done it shows that the issue is with how windows 10 switches between a one way profile for "headphones" and a two way profile for "headsets" that offers significantly lower quality due to bandwidth issues and crappy compression implemented by the default Windows bluetooth services.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2762 posts
1316 upvotes
Toronto
Georgios21 wrote: I appreciate the help but I think we are miscommunicating. That 2.4 Ghz dongle that comes with the logitechss isn't a bluetooth dongle. It's a proprietary logitech 2.4ghz dongle that is better than bluetooth in Windows 10. I'm basically taking calls in a call centre environment so microphone quality is much more important than playback quality. From the research i have done it shows that the issue is with how windows 10 switches between a one way profile for "headphones" and a two way profile for "headsets" that offers significantly lower quality due to bandwidth issues and crappy compression implemented by the default Windows bluetooth services.
No problem but just to be clear, I'm using the ASUS bt400 bluetooth dongle with the Logitech H800 headset. I am not using the included 2.4 ghz dongle. I have the ASUS bluetooth dongle plugged into an AmazonBasics powered USB hub on my desk in front of me. My wife is using her own ASUS bluetooth dongle with her Sony headset on her work laptop.

I hope you can find what you need but if you find that bluetooth is not working out for you then maybe 2.4 ghz headsets are the way to go for you.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)