• Oct 11th, 2018 3:41 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7371 posts
9175 upvotes
Montreal
Kiraly wrote: That can't be true for USD cards issued by Canadian banks. Can it?
No, but it is true for cards issued by US subsidiaries of Canadian Banks (such as TD Bank, RBC Bank and BMO Harris), assuming you have a U.S. address.
Penalty Box
Aug 10, 2010
781 posts
198 upvotes
Mars.
Amex is the only card family that doesn't credit the 2.5%. VISA/MC all do.
Don't be a cooch.
Sep 26, 2017
125 posts
413 upvotes
Milton, ON
@vliou completely wrong. Rogers PMC doesn't credit back the 2.5% fee. PC Elite World Mastercards even goes to the extreme and debits 2.5% on the return. you are NOT correct.
Penalty Box
Aug 10, 2010
781 posts
198 upvotes
Mars.
asfazrq2 wrote: @vliou completely wrong. Rogers PMC doesn't credit back the 2.5% fee. PC Elite World Mastercards even goes to the extreme and debits 2.5% on the return. you are NOT correct.
Interesting. Learned something new today. thanks
Don't be a cooch.
Oct 5, 2005
46 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver
Just got a return from a USD transaction on PC Elite World Mastercards and unfortunately they do not credit the 2.5% Foreign Transaction Fee. I did call and tried to get the difference back, but they can't do.
Sep 26, 2017
125 posts
413 upvotes
Milton, ON
Capital one is the only one who will do this. Or you use Home Trust Preferred Visa who doesn't charge it in the first place.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
OP, afaik no refund on 2.5% FTF on Canadian CC's since late 2016.

AShenCA wrote: Just get a US credit card and convert the currency yourself.

That doesn't answer OP's question.
McMaggot wrote: Capital One Canada credits the fee back from my last experience with them but that has been a while.
2017 onwards?
MaxPower19 wrote: What’s an easy way to convert the currency myself with no forex fees? Why do you recommend this over a Canadian dollar card with no forex fees?
KBFX or TransferWise. There will be an FTF, but similar or lower than the VISA/MC network off-spot rate. Even 0% FTF cards have a hidden, although very small, FTF (0.1-1% FTF).

So compared to HomeTrust Preferred, KBFX or TransferWise will be a break-even or cheaper on FTF.
asfazrq2 wrote: Buy a high ticket item from Walmart.com on home Trust visa using PayPal Open a visa debit card at Bank of America or key Bank in Niagara falls, NY. Return the item on your visa debit. Too much hassle though.
@dekvitaly would disagree. But bait and switch returns are not worth the hassle IMO.
AShenCA wrote: Using a USD credit card is predictable and easy for returns and warranty claims. It also helps you build credit in the US so that you have the ability to buy a vacation home or whatever in the US
USD cards issued in Canada generally have AF, little or no rewards, and you'll still have to buy USD to pay the bill. Also consider that there will be the lousy 2.5% FTF for spend in CAD, EUR, GBP and all other currencies aside USD.
Kiraly wrote: That can't be true for USD cards issued by Canadian banks. Can it?
efrant wrote: No, but it is true for cards issued by US subsidiaries of Canadian Banks (such as TD Bank, RBC Bank and BMO Harris), assuming you have a U.S. address.
This. Cross-border cards are US issued.
asfazrq2 wrote: Capital one is the only one who will do this. Or you use Home Trust Preferred Visa who doesn't charge it in the first place.
Any recent DP's? I really doubt Cap1 would refund the 2.5% FTF where no one else would.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2542 posts
1049 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
@titaniumtux you quoted lots of January 2018 post.
Anyway, the fraud credit thing US/CA works better from Canadian side. Reason: payment system set up.
Give me a J. I'm a maniac and an African expert.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
dekvitaly wrote: @titaniumtux you quoted lots of January 2018 post.
Anyway, the fraud credit thing US/CA works better from Canadian side. Reason: payment system set up.
Good catch.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
1734 posts
522 upvotes
Just to post my personal experience, I had a charge and refund on the same day on my Rogers WE (source amount - 5.50 EUR) and the difference between debit and credit was exactly 2.5%. So as far as I can tell, the 2.5% is only charged one way.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)