• Jan 15th, 2021 6:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
3057 posts
1941 upvotes
Montreal

2 cents items at walmart

So I found something I wanted at Walmart and it scanned at 2 cents. I paid for it at self checkout, got the receipt and walked to the exit and the receipt checker at the exit told me this can't be right and thought it was a fake receipt or that I was trying to do something fraudulent so he grabbed my stuff and brought it to the self serve attendant. They said the product is dangerous and is recalled but I've later checked and other stores still have the same item at quantities at regular price.

I understand the idea of pricing some items at 1,2 cents for RTV purposes and if there's a recall, but it is not recalled, and it was available on the floor in the store and let me pay for it without being flagged.

They forced me to leave the item.

I saw on in stock on stocktrack the same item was available at that price and at regular price at several other stores as well..

Should I have argued more and did I have to leave it when I was already on my way out, item paid for and receipt in hand?
54 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1636 posts
3983 upvotes
You shouldn't have showed the "receipt checker" your receipt, especially knowing you bought an item for 2 cents.

Usually 2 cents items from Walmart are discontinued items that end up getting shipped back to the manufacturer or get tossed out. But since you already bought it, even at 2 cents it's still a legal purchase.

When asked by a receipt checker, or security guard to see your receipt you can just say "thanks but no thanks" and continue walking. By law the only way staff or security can legally detain or arrest you is if they are accusing you of stealing.

One exception is Costco. There you have to show your receipt at the exit to staff since it's a clause in your membership agreement.

See this article:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/walmar ... -1.5355527
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2787 posts
2051 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Hmm. So you paid for the item at the listed price, competed the transaction and this was taken from you as you were leaving?

I would consider this as theft.

The store staff cannot take items from you that you paid for. The face you have not yet left the store is of no consequence. You paid and payment was accepted and therefore ownership of the merchandise was transferred.

If the item was recalled, they should have removed it from the shelves to prevent it being sold. Once sold to the consumer, it's up to the consumer to return or dispose of said recall items.

If they're accusing you of making a false receipt, they should have contacted the police and let them deal with the alleged criminal act.

I would go into the store armed with your receipt and politely as to speak with the manager. Explain that the employees forcefully took the item from you and you want it back, with compensation.

In this case clearly the value of the loss is not the concern. It's the fact that store employees took it upon themselves to make a false accusation and then unlawfully seized an item that was rightfully yours.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Penalty Box
Jul 13, 2012
7251 posts
984 upvotes
Ottawa
I would argue that if something was priced at 2 cents that a reasonable person would know that it was a mistake and that they are not offering to sell it to you at that price.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2014
1167 posts
691 upvotes
canada
ConsoleWatcher wrote: I would argue that if something was priced at 2 cents that a reasonable person would know that it was a mistake and that they are not offering to sell it to you at that price.
Get outta here with that

For the record Walmart subscribed to the scanning code of practice.

You should be going back and speaking with the general Manager. You should have called the manager when al the lower rung non salaried employees were making their own new store policies.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4575 upvotes
Alberta
I've probably been to Walmart over 1000 times here in Canada and the US and have to say I've not once been asked to show my receipt at the door or to any so called receipt checker.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18651 posts
6709 upvotes
Toronto
You should have told the "receipt checker" to f off or put the items in your coat. This is Walmart not Costco.
Last edited by carmaster on Dec 25th, 2019 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 11, 2007
978 posts
722 upvotes
Kitchener
jackrabbit000 wrote: I've probably been to Walmart over 1000 times here in Canada and the US and have to say I've not once been asked to show my receipt at the door or to any so called receipt checker.
Second that. Walmart never chks the receipts, unless you are leaving the door and alarm goes off.
Oct 3, 2015
703 posts
1334 upvotes
Toronto
caraj4u wrote: Second that. Walmart never chks the receipts, unless you are leaving the door and alarm goes off.
I have been to a Walmart and had my receipt checked before even going through the door. It does happen from time to time.
Penalty Box
Jul 13, 2012
7251 posts
984 upvotes
Ottawa
thesick wrote: Get outta here with that

For the record Walmart subscribed to the scanning code of practice.

You should be going back and speaking with the general Manager. You should have called the manager when al the lower rung non salaried employees were making their own new store policies.
You know as well as I do, and as well as the op does, that if an item scans at $0.01 it it not the price they intend to sell it to you at and thus does not constitute an offer to sell.

The Scanning Code of Practice only covers a maximum of $10.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
3057 posts
1941 upvotes
Montreal
The item was a dehumidifier so it had to be in my cart.

And they basically forced me to have the transaction refunded.

The receipt checker is always there and I always get checked and I always see him not check certain people. I'm not gonna explicitly say he is profiling, because that is just wild speculation, but I can definitely see a trend when I see him at this Walmart. And I tried just going straight through but he followed me and kept me from leaving.

I took a picture of the receipt to keep handy if I have any options after this.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1636 posts
3983 upvotes
daviiiiiid wrote: The item was a dehumidifier so it had to be in my cart.

And they basically forced me to have the transaction refunded.

The receipt checker is always there and I always get checked and I always see him not check certain people. I'm not gonna explicitly say he is profiling, because that is just wild speculation, but I can definitely see a trend when I see him at this Walmart. And I tried just going straight through but he followed me and kept me from leaving.

I took a picture of the receipt to keep handy if I have any options after this.
How did he "keep you from leaving"? Did he restrain you? Touch you in any way?

Again, Walmart staff can only legally stop you from leaving if they saw you shoplifting. Next time just tell them to get out of your way, you're leaving the store with your merchandise and if they don't like it they can call the police.

If a security guard or staff actually arrest you, and you didn't shoplift, that's a false arrest, and you can end up suing walmart.
Last edited by oj777 on Jan 15th, 2020 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18651 posts
6709 upvotes
Toronto
If it's a price error not your problem. You paid for it, fair and square. If they have dumbos working and entering wrong information in their system, not your problem. I would take it up with the Manager and Head Office.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
3057 posts
1941 upvotes
Montreal
He didn't touch me or anything but I didn't think much of it. Thought he would just see I have a receipt and let me go.
carmaster wrote: If it's a price error not your problem. You paid for it, fair and square. If they have dumbos working and entering wrong information in their system, not your problem. I would take it up with the Manager and Head Office.
And I did request the manager and he just repeated the same thing, that it's their policy not to sell 2 cents items, even if I had already paid for it.

I'll try to get in touch with higher people.. Anyone know of a direct email?
Dec 22, 2016
371 posts
321 upvotes
SW Ontario
I think we all want to ask...what's the sku number. I want a 2 cent dehumidifier.
Jan 20, 2008
15 posts
2 upvotes
ME too

They checked my receipt when I bought Roku TV at BF
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5655 posts
7010 upvotes
Once you purchase the item, you have the right on how to handle the item. You have possession of the item. Even the item is bad or defective or recall, it is up to you how you deal with it. Walmart staff has NO right to force you doing anything. If they force you to do anything or not allowing you to leave the store, just call the police. What Walmart doing right now is that they force you selling the item back to them for 2 cents. If they want to take the item back, tell them that I'm willingly selling the item back to you for $100.
Jan 30, 2013
271 posts
89 upvotes
I've been lucky I've bought 2 cent items no problem going through self serve checkout at Walmart.If you get another 2 cent item they try to grab it from you and they say recall.Ask to see their written statement that says item is recalled.If you see no official written recall statement leave with your item.
Last edited by Sherlock115 on Dec 25th, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.