Computers & Electronics

2 x 2.5" External HDD vs 2-Bay Enclosure for backup?

• Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2018 8:05 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2989 posts
135 upvotes
Markham

2 x 2.5" External HDD vs 2-Bay Enclosure for backup?

I want archive storage for important photos. I don't need RAID, just interval duplication (via software) is fine.

However, is it possible to just get 2 x 2.5" external HDDs and use them as backup? It's pretty cheap that way. The other option is to get a 2-bay enclosure with 3.5" drives....

Not sure which is better. I will be loading photos from my Mac to these drives maybe once a month tops...however I have important files that must be stored. If both hard-drives fail, I'm ****.
7 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
with important data, specially photos
best to have a back up of a back up
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1860 posts
511 upvotes
Not sure what the question is but like Keiqotw said best to have a back up of a back up. My family photos I have 3 places I keep them. Two different HDD at home and one stored out of the house (in case the place gets broken into or burns down).

So for you better to have 2x 2.5" and keep one of the safe somewhere else.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11337 posts
5531 upvotes
Vaughan
+1 on 2x2.5"

How about backup of backup of backup of backup? I backup to 2 desktops, 1 portable drive, 2 flash drives of important files and family pictures. Sound too much but I want no risk. :)
singhrh wrote: Not sure what the question is but like Keiqotw said best to have a back up of a back up. My family photos I have 3 places I keep them. Two different HDD at home and one stored out of the house (in case the place gets broken into or burns down).

So for you better to have 2x 2.5" and keep one of the safe somewhere else.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2989 posts
135 upvotes
Markham
Okay thanks guy.

The clarify the orginal question. I was wondering if there's any difference if I buy 2 x WD Passports (costs less) vs 2 x Green + Enclosure.

What's the point of 2-bay or 4-bay desktop enclosures then if I don't need RAID. no point at all?
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11337 posts
5531 upvotes
Vaughan
With the Passports, the hard drive is soldered to the case port. If the port/case is toasted then the hard drive is no good anymore.
chinaboy1021 wrote: Okay thanks guy.

The clarify the orginal question. I was wondering if there's any difference if I buy 2 x WD Passports (costs less) vs 2 x Green + Enclosure.

What's the point of 2-bay or 4-bay desktop enclosures then if I don't need RAID. no point at all?
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1860 posts
511 upvotes
There are pluses and minuses for both solutions:

WD passports - Small, cheap and good product. Downside is that you may not be able to remove the HDD if the enclosure controller fails. Some portable HDD have soldered on connectors so you can't remove the drive.
Green - more expensive (?) and have to source an enclosure or bay. Plus is that you have more flexibility (upgrade, repurpose....etc)

You basically need to decide what is best for you.

Also remember that RAID is not equal to backup. Do you need RAID for your family pic's? Probably not. RAID makes sure the data is always available (like in server situation) but in the event of catastrophic failure (fire, theft...) all data could be gone. Backup is a copy that is kept offline (IMHO).
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5264 posts
2270 upvotes
Vancouver
Why not a hard drive dock and swap drives as required?

i.e.
https://www.amazon.ca/Inateck-Docking-S ... B00N1MAMB6

I have a lay flat like one of these because I got tired (& scared) of knocking over the toaster style when it had drives in it.

https://www.amazon.ca/Sabrent-External- ... B00LS5NFQ2

Make sure you get one that supports UASP to ensure USB3.0/3.1 maximum speeds.