• Jul 23rd, 2020 8:24 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
1058 posts
326 upvotes

2-year old dead battery?

I have a 2010 CRV which I've barely driven the last 3 months. Every weekend I would drive it around the neighborhood for 5 mins except for the last 2 weeks when I didn't bother. Of course, when I tried to start it this morning it didn't work. The dash gets filled with lights and I can hear electronic clicking but that's about it. The power windows work and interior lights come on but the radio does not.

I attempted to boost the CRV with my wife's 2017 Accord but to no avail. I even left the cables connected for 30 mins but no change. The CRVs battery is only 2 years old so I can't believe the battery can't be saved.

Any ideas? Thanks!
51 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4585 posts
4827 upvotes
GTA
Was the Accord running when you tried boosting the CRV? Did you hold the engine speed up on the Accord to further increase the voltage while boosting?

The battery probably can be saved. You need to use a battery charger.

And then diagnose why the battery went dead in the first place.
Apr 25, 2018
183 posts
215 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
wiggle your booster cables to scrap into the dirt and get a solid connection into the terminals
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
1058 posts
326 upvotes
Yes the Accord was running and I did press the accelerator. Battery charger is a good idea. Time to go to Canadian Tire!
derass wrote: Was the Accord running when you tried boosting the CRV? Did you hold the engine speed up on the Accord to further increase the voltage while boosting?

The battery probably can be saved. You need to use a battery charger.

And then diagnose why the battery went dead in the first place.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
1058 posts
326 upvotes
I noticed a bit of white build up on the CRV terminals but scraped it off. Connections look good. Probably time to purchase a battery charger.....
Alligatorclip wrote: wiggle your booster cables to scrap into the dirt and get a solid connection into the terminals
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12915 posts
4521 upvotes
Ontario
5mins of driving is no where near enough to charge the battery when you barely drive it for the past 3 months.

You are much better buying a battery charger/maintainer and charging the battery every month while you are not driving the car. If you wanted to drive it to charge the battery then you would need to go on a minimum 30min-1hr high drive to get it to a good charge.
hank755 wrote: I have a 2010 CRV which I've barely driven the last 3 months. Every weekend I would drive it around the neighborhood for 5 mins except for the last 2 weeks when I didn't bother. Of course, when I tried to start it this morning it didn't work. The dash gets filled with lights and I can hear electronic clicking but that's about it. The power windows work and interior lights come on but the radio does not.

I attempted to boost the CRV with my wife's 2017 Accord but to no avail. I even left the cables connected for 30 mins but no change. The CRVs battery is only 2 years old so I can't believe the battery can't be saved.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1819 posts
569 upvotes
Just a guess, did OP plug something like a phone charger in Cigarette lighter socket which had higher rating. This might blow Accessory Fuse Number 9, 15amps. which would cause radio to go out. Unplug Cigarette lighter socket and replace the fuse if it's burnt. There could be a radio fuse?
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2006
1244 posts
979 upvotes
Ottawa
Battery Tender jr will take care of you. If you want something better, a CTEK. Costco always has a decent smart charger, as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
1058 posts
326 upvotes
No I didn't plug in anything. Good idea though!
MasterMK wrote: Just a guess, did OP plug something like a phone charger in Cigarette lighter socket which had higher rating. This might blow Accessory Fuse Number 9, 15amps. which would cause radio to go out. Unplug Cigarette lighter socket and replace the fuse if it's burnt. There could be a radio fuse?
Mar 1, 2020
842 posts
236 upvotes
GTA West
+1 for battery tender jr... I bought mine in June while sale on CT. Can always buy whatever is on sale at CT for <$40 and it'll be good enough for your purpose... (It did for mine and I only use the car once every 3-4 wks just to go to Costco these days)... Craftsman (rfd member) is an expert on this in my view...he's been patiently helping me on my car's 5+ yr old battery and glad to have rfd members like him :)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20233 posts
13552 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
hank755 wrote: Is this the one you recommend? It says maintainer but I assume it will also charge up a battery from scratch?

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/batt ... 1940p.html
A few things:

1. The idea of a Battery Tender Jr is great. However, since your battery is probably very low on charge (I won't use the word 'dead' as people misuse the word in relation to car batteries and think the battery is at the end of it's service life which when it's really low on charge) so it will take a while for the Battery Tender Jr to charge the battery - think days and not hours.
2. For a lower price, CT has their own branded smart charger onsale - MotoMaster Eliminator Precision Series 1.5A Battery Charger & Maintainer for $39. It's got twice the power output which should cut your charge times since your battery is low on charge. I also like the built-in charge meter AND the manual engageable repair mode.
3. Since you found white deposits on your terminals, the connections are probably far from good. I would disconnect the terminals, and clean them with a bit of sand paper or get one of those battery terminal cleaning tools. Once clean, I would coat them with a thin coat of dielectric grease.
4. If you are disconnecting the battery anyways, I would remove the battery completely and wipe down the battery with some mild detergent as well as clean the area where the battery was sitting in your car. Inspect for any battery acid spills by looking for rust spots where the battery was.
5. If your battery has removable filler caps, time to check the fluid levels of the battery and see if they need topping off with some distilled/de-ionized water.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
4319 posts
1364 upvotes
Mississauga
hank755 wrote: Is this the one you recommend? It says maintainer but I assume it will also charge up a battery from scratch?

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/batt ... 1940p.html
I would suggest getting something in the range of 4-8amp or else it'll take forever to charge a completely dead battery back up.
Most charger have a maintain/float mode once the battery is detected as full.

https://www.costco.ca/energizer-automat ... 73537.html
I've used this energizer 4A charger on a car sitting on the driveway for 2+ years without any issues even in the winter.
It has a winter mode that charges the battery slightly higher in anticipation of cold temperature.

Another one if you want to get locally that's on sale at the moment.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... p.html#srp
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4585 posts
4827 upvotes
GTA
Agreed. I personally wouldn't settle for a charger with any less than 10A output. I've gotten used to old school battery chargers and charging up a full sized car battery in 8hrs. I wouldn't want to go any slower than that.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6546 posts
4078 upvotes
Toronto
If your 2 years old battery is dead, go get warrantied. Even if you tell them, battery is low and won't charge, most likely they will replace or pro rated.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4585 posts
4827 upvotes
GTA
If there's something wrong with the car that caused the current battery to die, then the warranty battery will die too.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6546 posts
4078 upvotes
Toronto
derass wrote: If there's something wrong with the car that caused the current battery to die, then the warranty battery will die too.
I think everyone and op is blaming on lack of driving during covid.

I would still try to get new battery if you feel the battery you got is inferior.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2011 posts
687 upvotes
Toronto
Get a CTEK battery tender. I have the MX 5.0 and it's fantastic.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1819 posts
569 upvotes
I am reading that Honda installed a battery that is too weak for the size of motor, in other word incorrect battery. OP might consider doing a little research on correct size battery.