• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2018 9:29 pm
Mar 26, 2013
424 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto

2 years teachers college vs. 1 year in ontario

2 years teachers college vs. 1 year in ontario
does anyone have any experience with the 2 years teachers college in Ontario vs the 1 year teachers college?

do you find it easier now that it is 2 years? or just as intense as the 1 year program?
4 replies
Nov 19, 2014
403 posts
295 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you have an option, take the shorter route. Teacher's college is almost entirely fluff. There’s lots of busywork and none of it is substantive. It was like this when it was one year and it’s gotten worse now that it’s two years. There are several courses that have nothing to do with teaching at all (e.g., at OISE, "Indigenous Experiences of Racism and Settler Colonialism"). The only thing that is useful are the practicums (teaching your own class in schools, under the supervision of and with the aid of an actual teacher). The in-class portion of teacher's college exists only because it is required.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
700 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
I thought all teacher college programs are 2 years now?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
It must be a very popular program because admission at the one college I was interested ignored my email when I requested for information. I also left them a voicemail. This was at least half a year ago. I visited their website but I wanted to speak with someone.

I'm sorry they felt that I was a waste of their time and ignored my inquiry. I even called when it was not admission season. I was seriously thinking about it as a mature student.

Anyways, I no longer care about this fluff program.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)