Automotive

20% of California EV drivers go back to ICE....

  • Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2021 5:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6802 posts
3091 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…

20% of California EV drivers go back to ICE....

This made some news sites a day or two ago. 20% of EV owners in California went to ICE vehicles for their next purchase.

https://www.anthropocenemagazine.org/20 ... -vehicles/

https://www.businessinsider.com/electri ... udy-2021-4

Some findings, women more likely to go back to ICE. Fiat owners more likely,, Tesla least.
Those who gave up on their EVs lived in smaller households so they had fewer vehicles. They were also younger, had smaller earnings, rented more, were less likely to live in a single-family standalone house, and were less likely to be male.
Lower income and not living in standalone housing means less likely to have money and/or a place to install chargers. Availability of public chargers wasn't an issue.

I guess the EV rebates were the initial hook.
Last edited by thriftshopper on May 1st, 2021 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
60 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16996 posts
15600 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Idiots. Who buys an EV without the ability to charge at home?

Sounds like they just jumped on the bandwagon and bought whatever EV fit their budget LOL
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6802 posts
3091 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
EP32k2 wrote: Idiots. Who buys an EV without the ability to charge at home?

Sounds like they just jumped on the bandwagon and bought whatever EV fit their budget LOL
Probably thought they could work with L1 charging. Read somewhere that buys you about either 3 km or miles an hour.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16996 posts
15600 upvotes
Richmond Hill
thriftshopper wrote: Probably thought they could work with L1 charging. Read somewhere that buys you about either 3 km or miles an hour.
Yup its SLOWWWWWWWWW but should max out around 8kms an hour, which probably works for most if they can let the car charge for 10-12 hours.

You see so many videos on YouTube with Tesla owners in Cali showing how it’s possible to own one and use public charging… sure it is, but how practical is that??? So dumb.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6802 posts
3091 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I just checked the price for Fiat 500Es down there. None available. Surprised they're reported starting at over USD 12,000 used. Was hoping to find one for a lot, lot less. ~80 miles of range would more than suit me just fine; it'd comfortably cover more than 90% of my driving needs.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Member
Apr 22, 2015
296 posts
204 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I have an EV and I can't imagine only having L1charging.

Silly
Sr. Member
Aug 13, 2011
653 posts
185 upvotes
Scarborough southwes…
Those are people who probably hadn't thought it through.

I have a phev and bev and also installed an L2 charger at home.
I mooch if there is a charger near where I'm going to be but not going to go out of my way to charge.

A buddy lives in Peel and is walking distance from one of their free L2/DC fast charge stations. He just drives his Bolt over at night and tops up for a couple hours.
No need to spend for a charger at home. This is the only situation where I'd skip out on L2 at home.

I can't see myself going back to ICE. I'm expecting when it's time to retire the Prius Prime, there should be a decently priced BEV with 400+km range and that would remove my need for gas totally.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3615 posts
1899 upvotes
Toronto, ON
When we bought our first EV and current, TMY honestly we just test drove and knew the benefits. My thought it would be easy to charge at home with included charger, but little did she know what speed/km it charged at and yep, it was not enough at all!

I saw myself daily hopping over to the Supercharger stations to recharge, and got fed up. Ordered the Gen3 wall charger, and now problem solved. Yes the initial cost is very high for the charger and the install, but at the end no need to charge for hours and it's a very fast charge.

People should do their research and know the limitations of these EV's before jumping the bandwagon. Luckily we had 200 AMP circuit in the basement!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 18, 2005
22018 posts
3815 upvotes
Niagara Falls
thriftshopper wrote: I just checked the price for Fiat 500Es down there. None available. Surprised they're reported starting at over USD 12,000 used. Was hoping to find one for a lot, lot less. ~80 miles of range would more than suit me just fine; it'd comfortably cover more than 90% of my driving needs.
Few under 6 grand US. Wonder if Cad will get to par with USD :)

Autotrader
Banned
Apr 28, 2021
36 posts
21 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Idiots. Who buys an EV without the ability to charge at home?

Sounds like they just jumped on the bandwagon and bought whatever EV fit their budget LOL
What is idiotic is North America using 110v when most of the world uses 220v.

I called some electricians in my area to see how much it would cost me to install a 220v which was right next to my hydro panel in the garage and most wanted upwards of $800. Just wow... This is on top of however much the L2 charger costs. Meanwhile Europe/Asia plugs offer plenty of charging using the default 220V (yes, it's not as fast as a dedicated L2 that can go up to 50A, but still more than double difference vs a 110v 10/15A since European standard Schuko plugs can go up to 16A @ 230W)

Another problem is the efficiency is crap on a 110V compared to 220V (reported as low as 55% on 110V)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6802 posts
3091 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Evil Baby wrote: Few under 6 grand US. Wonder if Cad will get to par with USD :)
There's a 2014 for C$11k near where I am, but don't need it. Sightly bit tempted but I can make that go away.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 25, 2003
9208 posts
319 upvotes
Covrig wrote: I called some electricians in my area to see how much it would cost me to install a 220v which was right next to my hydro panel in the garage and most wanted upwards of $800. Just wow... This is on top of however much the L2 charger costs.
This is pretty easy to DIY, especially if your panel is right there in the garage. You don't even need to turn off the main in the panel.
it's me ramin.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6802 posts
3091 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Covrig wrote: What is idiotic is North America using 110v when most of the world uses 220v.
Supposedly because electrification and its adoption by consumers got too much of a momentum going. Too difficult to change. It'd be like,,,, forcing everyone to go drive on the other side of the road overnight (which has been done).
I called some electricians in my area to see how much it would cost me to install a 220v which was right next to my hydro panel in the garage and most wanted upwards of $800. Just wow..
Just what labour costs are in urban Canada. If I wanted L2, I have to run heavier cable to garage. Since the conduit is small, I am not sure if this is even feasible. I had to do my own wiring (and layout) for a powered septic pump. Seems an electrician would have costed $2k. I did it for conduit, glue and wires (and a junction box ad some circuit breakers).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Banned
Apr 28, 2021
36 posts
21 upvotes
B0000rt wrote: This is pretty easy to DIY, especially if your panel is right there in the garage. You don't even need to turn off the main in the panel.
As much as I would love to, I really don't feel comfortable playing with 220V + DIY cutting through drywall.

But I am also sure it's no more than 1hr of work to install everything being so close to the panel. $120-250 would be decent, but it seems as soon as they hear it's a 220v in the garage, they probably instantly know it's for an electric car and they seem to think "Hey, he gots moneyz for EV, opportunity to milk this guy". I've also been told they require special licensing for 220V, from electricians who said they can't do it, so there being less competition probably helps the milking.
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Covrig wrote: As much as I would love to, I really don't feel comfortable playing with 220V + DIY cutting through drywall.

But I am also sure it's no more than 1hr of work to install everything being so close to the panel. $120-250 would be decent, but it seems as soon as they hear it's a 220v in the garage, they probably instantly know it's for an electric car and they seem to think "Hey, he gots moneyz for EV, opportunity to milk this guy". I've also been told they require special licensing for 220V, from electricians who said they can't do it, so there being less competition probably helps the milking.
Reality. Time to do initial job. Breaker. Wire. Permit. Return visit for inspection with ESA.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1051 posts
857 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
User error. Nothing to do with the product.

Look how many people are illiterate but some how have enough money to plop down on a new Bronco Sport without doing a smidgen of research and then blaming Ford because they thought it was THE actual new Bronco.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6802 posts
3091 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Covrig wrote: I've also been told they require special licensing for 220V, from electricians who said they can't do it, so there being less competition probably helps the milking.
If so, they're just practising oligopolistic pricing. Free enterprise based on demand and restricted supply.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 30, 2007
1675 posts
1817 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: Idiots. Who buys an EV without the ability to charge at home?

Sounds like they just jumped on the bandwagon and bought whatever EV fit their budget LOL
LOL at you and 6 other idiots who upvoted your comment.
I'm on my second BEV, I live in the apartment building, and I don't charge at home.
For the first 2 years of owning FFE I only relied on L1 at work, or DCFC at the local Ikea.
Its not easy as charging in your garage, but its def doable.
Judging by the number of available SCs at Sherway Gardens in the last 2 months, at any given time there's at least 4-6 Teslas charging, I'd say a lot more people are managing to drive BEVs nowadays, without charging them at home.
.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16996 posts
15600 upvotes
Richmond Hill
xrvr wrote: LOL at you and 6 other idiots who upvoted your comment.
I'm on my second BEV, I live in the apartment building, and I don't charge at home.
For the first 2 years of owning FFE I only relied on L1 at work, or DCFC at the local Ikea.
Its not easy as charging in your garage, but its def doable.
Judging by the number of available SCs at Sherway Gardens in the last 2 months, at any given time there's at least 4-6 Teslas charging, I'd say a lot more people are managing to drive BEVs nowadays, without charging them at home.
Time is money as they say. It’s great that you don’t value yours and spend time charging instead :p
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 30, 2007
1675 posts
1817 upvotes
Toronto
Wow, this article at least misleading, or completely wrong.
By comparison, Tesla's "Superchargers," which can fully charge its cars in a little over an hour, offer 480 volts of direct current.


Its 400 volts at most.
according to a new study published in the journal Nature Energy by University of California Davis researchers Scott Hardman and Gil Tal that surveyed Californians who purchased an electric vehicle between 2012 and 2018.
Yeah, 3 years later things have been slightly different.
Even with the faster charging, a Chevy Volt he tested still needed nearly six hours to top its range back up to 300 miles from nearly empty
You can charge it all you want, but Volt will never have electric range of more than 50 miles.
If he's talking about Bolt, its 238 miles, AFAIK.
Sounds like "Bloomberg automotive analyst Kevin Tynan, who has tested a wide range of makes and models of PEVs over the years for his research" is full of shit.
But its too late now.
Fake news created by Bloomberg, and amplified by Business Insider, are now solid facts on the interwebs.
.

Top