Expired Hot Deals

20% off the Canadian Securities Course (CSC)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2014 12:57 pm
Tags:
59 replies
Mar 3, 2008
324 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
Hey, thanks -- I've been thinking about taking this for a while, so this could be the extra impetus needed to get going on it!

Just out of curiosity, for those who have taken CSC, is it worth it to get the Value Combo?

From the site:

Canadian Securities Course (CSC)®
Canadian Securities Course (CSC) Value Pack Combo* $1310.00
Online, interactive version with hard-copy textbook $1075.00
Online, interactive version with online textbook (PDF) $985.00
NEW Canadian Securities Course (CSC) for Investors $495

* The Canadian Securities Course (CSC) Value Pack Combo is your all in one course and study tool package to set you up for success. In addition to the online, interactive version with hard-copy textbook you also get the full set of study tools, including the CSC Check, CSC Audio Book, Financial Investment Calculations Toolkit With Calculator, Financial Statements and Ratios e-Tutorial, Macro and Microeconomic E-Tutorial and the CSC webcasts.

Bundle & Save More
Save 10% when you buy any two of the following study tools, save 15% when you buy any three of the following study tools, save 25% when you buy all six of the following study tools. Please note: study tools are all delivered online and are not refundable.
Seminars do not qualify as study tools and are not included in the study tools discount.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1170 posts
338 upvotes
Toronto
HAha jokes I was just looking at that page like 10 mins ago, didn't know that it could be considered hot, especially educational things on rfd. :razz:
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2010
1936 posts
400 upvotes
Scarborough
What are your guys opinions on the $1310 and $1075? Which one should I choose as a first year university student? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
jmeggs wrote: Hey, thanks -- I've been thinking about taking this for a while, so this could be the extra impetus needed to get going on it!

Just out of curiosity, for those who have taken CSC, is it worth it to get the Value Combo?

From the site:

Canadian Securities Course (CSC)®
Canadian Securities Course (CSC) Value Pack Combo* $1310.00
Online, interactive version with hard-copy textbook $1075.00
Online, interactive version with online textbook (PDF) $985.00
NEW Canadian Securities Course (CSC) for Investors $495

* The Canadian Securities Course (CSC) Value Pack Combo is your all in one course and study tool package to set you up for success. In addition to the online, interactive version with hard-copy textbook you also get the full set of study tools, including the CSC Check, CSC Audio Book, Financial Investment Calculations Toolkit With Calculator, Financial Statements and Ratios e-Tutorial, Macro and Microeconomic E-Tutorial and the CSC webcasts.

Bundle & Save More
Save 10% when you buy any two of the following study tools, save 15% when you buy any three of the following study tools, save 25% when you buy all six of the following study tools. Please note: study tools are all delivered online and are not refundable.
Seminars do not qualify as study tools and are not included in the study tools discount.
I would easily say no, but I did finance in University, so most of the material was relatively familiar to me.

If you are in the field of finance and banking, I don't think you will need all the extra support material personally, but it depends on how familiar you are with it. If you are not very familiar with this stuff, and maybe didn't study it in school, it might be better to get the extra material.

When I did it a 4 years ago, I only ordered the books and CSC check for practice questions (very helpful), nothing else. They've added a lot more stuff I don't think is necessary.
“My biggest problem with modernity may lie in the growing separation of the ethical and the legal.”
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4398 posts
703 upvotes
Toronto
I took the CSC when I had relatively little knowledge of the capital markets and I was fine. I strongly suggest it to people who doesn't mind spending the money to learn about the industry...of course, that was when the CSC was like $500. It's a harder sell to ask someone to take it as an interest course nowadays.
Board games!!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2012
1259 posts
286 upvotes
Woodbridge
Very easy material if you have any financial background. Read through once and can expect to get 75%+ on exams.
Banned
Dec 4, 2007
167 posts
39 upvotes
Markham
wow... lol... never seen it on sale before... but got my done like 10 years ago!! :lol:
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2008
1957 posts
371 upvotes
Aurora
projectmoonlightcafe wrote: I took the CSC when I had relatively little knowledge of the capital markets and I was fine. I strongly suggest it to people who doesn't mind spending the money to learn about the industry...of course, that was when the CSC was like $500. It's a harder sell to ask someone to take it as an interest course nowadays.
I did the exact same thing, many years ago and I think I paid extra for in-class instructions. I was the only one in my class of about 25 that had nothing to do with the industry - the teacher looked at me like "what are you doing here?". I paid attention and did the homework, and easily passed.

I must admit, I was very surprised (concerned?) at the number of people working in the industry and the struggles they were having with this. I learned many things from this, but one that I'll remember forever is to never assume the guy/girl in the suit across from the desk knows what they're talking about.
Nov 12, 2012
28 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
If anyone is working in the industry, you should speak to your employer about getting this course; most banks will pay for this class.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4398 posts
703 upvotes
Toronto
It's a relatively simple course. If you've been able to complete any sort of post-secondary course I doubt you're going to struggle with this, unless you fail to put in the time to learn.
Board games!!!!
Aug 18, 2009
349 posts
151 upvotes
Barrie
* Was able to get it to work, for some reason didn't like the email I was using so tried another and it worked. Thanks OP just saved a co-worker $200!
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
IvoryWhite wrote: If anyone is working in the industry, you should speak to your employer about getting this course; most banks will pay for this class.
+1, most of the major banks will cover the cost (although it might be up to your manager ultimately).

I also recall getting a discount on the price from CSI because I was working at a Wealth Management firm. It wasn't huge, and I don't remember how much. Something like $60 off I think?
“My biggest problem with modernity may lie in the growing separation of the ethical and the legal.”
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
Gweedz wrote:
I must admit, I was very surprised (concerned?) at the number of people working in the industry and the struggles they were having with this. I learned many things from this, but one that I'll remember forever is to never assume the guy/girl in the suit across from the desk knows what they're talking about.
+1
As someone in the industry, I can wholeheartedly agree with this.

I hope I'm not in this category though! :-0 lol.
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb