180 upvotes
Toronto

20% Off Loose Leaf Teas + Gift + Free Shipping from Tea Sante

Deal Link:
Savings:
20%
Expiry:
August 30, 2015
I personally love this store! the prices are great and the quality is amazing!
Use the promo code TEA20 to save extra 20% on all the loose leaf teas.

I usually get it within 2 days to Toronto. :D

Enjoy!
Life is the art of drawing without an eraser.
11 replies
Jun 27, 2007
551 posts
96 upvotes
Mississauga
Well stocked on tea right now, but always looking for new places to buy. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1900 posts
349 upvotes
Kitchener
My brother buys his horsehead (looseleaf Ceylon) tea, $7.49/lb at sadaqat convenience mart which is their normal price.

That would cost him $45-20% with this deal. Seems pricy.
Jan 3, 2012
679 posts
279 upvotes
Richmond Hill
willing to try em out but no fs unless you spend more than $60?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19995 posts
13222 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Please note - This is the type of 'tea' store that doesn't really know what real tea is. Most the tea isn't pure tea - it's a blend of tea and herbs and other aromatics. Even with the few 'pure teas' that they have, I suspect that they don't really know what they have or are selling.

Example -

1. They are selling a Darjeeling Castelton tea with the following description - A delicate aromatic cup! Wonderful muscatel highlights with delicate strength, this black tea combines the finest ingredients from India, China and Sri Lanka. While Darjeeling teas do have muscatel highlights and are typically a black tea, a Darjeeling only comes from Darjeeling, India. There should be no ingredients from China or Sri Lanka (or other parts of India). In addition, the use of Castelton in the title is either sloppiness (as they may have meant to refer to the Castleton tea estate) or an attempt to mislead people into thinking it's from the tea estate. And I didn't even get into the fact that a real good Darjeeling tea is marketed by the year and the season it was picked (as well as the grading of the tea and if you get deep into in it, the invoice number of that tea). As for price, who knows what type of tea it is so any price may be valid.

2. They are selling a Organic Assam Tea with the following description - With a full-bodied malty character, this organic assam tea takes milk very well. Rich flavour and a beautiful amber colour make this tea must-try! Enjoy a delicious, steaming cup! Assam is a region in India that grows and sells the majority of the 'bagged' tea on the market today. As with other Indian teas, this tea should have been designated with the estate, year, and season picked. Since it wasn't, it's really a blend of typically what was left over from a crop from various estates. In addition, this tea isn't the typical loose leaf tea, it's processed using a technique called CTC (notice in the picture that the 'leaves' aren't leaves but small balls or pebbles of tea). This type of tea is very popular in India as it's brewed with milk and sugar is added. This is over priced for what it is.

If you want blended teas, then this place may not be bad. But if you want a good quality single estate tea, this isn't the place.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
3190 posts
1624 upvotes
Ottawa
craftsman wrote: Please note - This is the type of 'tea' store that doesn't really know what real tea is. Most the tea isn't pure tea - it's a blend of tea and herbs and other aromatics. Even with the few 'pure teas' that they have, I suspect that they don't really know what they have or are selling.
always good when there are ppl around who know something about teas. thnx for a good explanation!

I always find it strange when ppl say a certain tea bag is so awesome, because from what I know and can see, it usually the scraps, leftovers, stems that are not good enough to put as loose leaf that gets into many teabags.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19995 posts
13222 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
eugene188 wrote: always good when there are ppl around who know something about teas. thnx for a good explanation!

I always find it strange when ppl say a certain tea bag is so awesome, because from what I know and can see, it usually the scraps, leftovers, stems that are not good enough to put as loose leaf that gets into many teabags.
Tea bags came from the "Western" need for fast and easy while disregarding good. And you are right, most of the stuff in most bagged teas is the left over stuff from processing tea - commonly referred to as fannings - and sometimes the smaller stuff called dust. When the tea gets to that small of a piece, there is a lot of surface area so the tea steeps quickly... unfortunately, you also get a lot of bitterness as everything defluzes quickly into the tea (good and bad favours). If you take a whole leaf tea and compare the favours you get with the fannings of the same tea (even in the same foil pouch), you'll find the fannings to have a much stronger taste and, at the same time, a higher level of bitterness.

Stems actually get put into regular loose leaf tea as well as I've drunk higher end teas with numerous stems so don't get put off by having a few stems in the leaves.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
55800 posts
20670 upvotes
So where to source really good loose tea leaves for cheap?

How is the pesticide concentration on tea leaves? I still have (likely crappy) oolong tea bags from well.ca
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19995 posts
13222 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
alanbrenton wrote: So where to source really good loose tea leaves for cheap?
In North America, there really isn't a good place that I've found. Most places are like this one or a little better (ie. they have more information or a slightly larger selection or maybe even both). The best places I've found are more regional stores (ie. located in the region where the tea is grown). A few weeks a go, I posted a promo from a site in India that had an excellent selection of Darjeeling teas where they were having a 50% then a 40% off sale. But that site is really only good for some Darjeeling teas (the site I found out later is owned by a large tea estate owner who ones multiple estates) and as such isn't good for teas from Assam, China, Japan...
alanbrenton wrote: How is the pesticide concentration on tea leaves? I still have (likely crappy) oolong tea bags from well.ca
That's a hard one to say. I would guess that it's can't be any worse than tea bags... the tea bags may be worse as the leaves might be what was left over after a pest issue...

And as for any organic tea, most tea is grown in regions where tight regulation isn't a big thing - ie. anything and typically everything can happen for the right amount of money... :( so I wouldn't put a big emphasis in paying for questionable certification.
Nov 24, 2015
13 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I'm new to this forum and I love it. Quick questions - how's the quality of this tea at Thesante? Is it David's tea quality? Has anyone tried purchasing from this store before?
My wife is an avid tea drinker so I need to stock up and make my woman happy :-)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)