• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2019 4:08 pm
[OP]
Nov 6, 2006
191 posts
88 upvotes
Coquitlam

[Amazon Canada] 20% off sale Samsung Smartthings sensors and hub

Bought some of these couple days ago and notice they are on-sale today...

Hub on sale too: https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-SmartThin ... GGWJL?th=1
Last edited by TomRFD on Jul 10th, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated retailer name
134 replies
Jan 21, 2018
438 posts
328 upvotes
Vancouver
It's amazing what a difference proper support makes in the home automation field.

The SmartThings hub is the most popular, and it is well supported. Their sensors and software work, and there is good connectivity to a host of other services. There is strong community support.

Primecables sells equipment of similar capability for 1/4 of the price, and it also works - but it has terrible support. It's an awful pain to get it working without support, and the connectivity to other services is much worse.

Given the vast difference in what you can sell it for, you have to ask why manufacturers wouldn't invest a little in documentation, support, and building community and connections. They could triple their price and still be competitive!
Dec 21, 2007
587 posts
138 upvotes
Scarborough
Tempted and will likely bite. I really want to do multi-conditional programming and this appears to do that (eg. if the sun goes down AND I am home, THEN turn on lights, x, y, z)
I am the Stig's brother's cousin's friend's former roommate.
Nov 16, 2016
155 posts
53 upvotes
Alberta
Conundrum1911 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 1:07 pm
Tempted and will likely bite. I really want to do multi-conditional programming and this appears to do that (eg. if the sun goes down AND I am home, THEN turn on lights, x, y, z)
Look up the webCORE app for SmartThings, it will definitely do what you are wanting.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
2263 posts
2386 upvotes
I can’t figure out automation on it but atleast most of my devices are on one app now
Koodo, Fido, Telus, Public Mobile, Virgin customer.
Mar 21, 2005
65 posts
11 upvotes
Thunder Bay
Conundrum1911 wrote:
If you're really interested in tweaking stuff you could get a Raspberry Pi and run OpenHab. I was considering SmartThings until a coworker of mine steered me towards OpenHab. Now I just need a good sale on a Raspberry Pi.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28058 posts
13873 upvotes
Ottawa
leafsfanatic wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 1:43 pm
If you're really interested in tweaking stuff you could get a Raspberry Pi and run OpenHab. I was considering SmartThings until a coworker of mine steered me towards OpenHab. Now I just need a good sale on a Raspberry Pi.
Yeah, local processing is the way to go.
I'm leaning towards Openhab or Hubitat, if my ST hub ever craps out.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
4132 posts
533 upvotes
Conundrum1911 wrote:
SmartThings will do that right out of the box, with no programming required. ie Turn on (lights 1,2,3) at sunset ONLY when in mode (home/away/night/etc).

If you want to get really crazy, then you can use the user generated smartapps and CoRE programming and go to town
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
2363 posts
1675 upvotes
Oakville
Conundrum1911 wrote:
you can do multi conditional programming with IFTT too, and most others with embedded IFs within IFs.

I am a strong supporter and advocate for Samsung SmartThings, which is leap frogs ahead of Apple Homekit's inferior closed environment, and is better than Wink's ecosystem as well. I have both Wink and Smartthings, and Smartthings get used predominantly.

The Apple closed model though having it's advantages of reliability and cyber security with strong links between qualified accessories does not work well in an open world IoT world we are living in.

As long as you create a secure home network, use VLan tagging to separate your Home Automation network from your Secure Personal Network (where you do your daily banking, private emails, etc) then Apple's security become's a moot advantage over SmartThings.

Invest in a good Edge router X, setup separate networks with degrees of security, and join an open pandora of technology support from SmartThings universe, and you are going to be riding the highest wave in this ocean of Automation Technology.
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
4132 posts
533 upvotes
Scote64 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 12:27 pm
It's amazing what a difference proper support makes in the home automation field.

The SmartThings hub is the most popular, and it is well supported. Their sensors and software work, and there is good connectivity to a host of other services. There is strong community support.

Primecables sells equipment of similar capability for 1/4 of the price, and it also works - but it has terrible support. It's an awful pain to get it working without support, and the connectivity to other services is much worse.

Given the vast difference in what you can sell it for, you have to ask why manufacturers wouldn't invest a little in documentation, support, and building community and connections. They could triple their price and still be competitive!
I have a ton of Orvibo (from primecables) and Xiaomi "things" in my house, and usually what I do before buying is check the smarththings forums, see if someone has already made a custom handler for that device and how well it works, then buy for cheap when on sale. For example primecables was clearing out the "Living Smart/Orvibo" door/window sensors and using a DTH from github they all instantly connected and have been rock solid ever since.

I guess you're getting the best of both worlds that way, cheap hardware and fantastic community support
Dec 21, 2007
587 posts
138 upvotes
Scarborough
zdpz wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 1:51 pm
you can do multi conditional programming with IFTT too, and most others with embedded IFs within IFs.
If you meant IFTTT, I've never seen that handle more than a single IF statement. Stringify could, but then that got shut down.

Also thought about Openhab, but I'm not a programmer or even really a scripter, so I would prefer something out of the box for the foreseeable future.

As for the sale price, does anyone think it will go cheaper on Prime day/any reason to hold off?
I am the Stig's brother's cousin's friend's former roommate.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1696 posts
86 upvotes
Ottawa
The water leak sensor only works in the US? Lame. Any good alternative?
Oct 6, 2018
134 posts
91 upvotes
pace wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 2:22 pm
The water leak sensor only works in the US? Lame. Any good alternative?
No it works anywhere you have a hub. Don't know where those reviews came from. Mine works fine in Canada.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1696 posts
86 upvotes
Ottawa
Chipppy wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 2:48 pm
No it works anywhere you have a hub. Don't know where those reviews came from. Mine works fine in Canada.
Weird. Says in product description as well. I'll trust you, random internet stranger ;)
Jan 21, 2018
438 posts
328 upvotes
Vancouver
Chipppy wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 2:48 pm
They probably mean it doesn't work in countries south of the equator, because as you know water circles the drain in the opposite direction south of the equator, and the detector has to be manufactured with an opposite-curl water inlet because of that. :)