[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16712 posts
11447 upvotes
Markham

$20 Peking duck deals in the GTA

Decided to post in Food forums instead.

For those who like Peking duck there are several GTA restaurants who are running deals on 2 course Peking Duck for $19.99 [duck and wrappers + chopped up duck]. There is no minimum spend to get this deal. Not sure when these deals end so if you're interested call them to confirm and book a table and duck reservation [must].

Don't invite too many ppl and you'll get more duck to eat.

Yang's Fine Chinese Cuisine on Bayview and Weldrick in Richmond Hill
Mon-Thur
https://goo.gl/maps/xwGzs9DGfzX43ics9

Fisherman Lobster King on Warden and Finch in Scarborough
Mon-Fri
https://goo.gl/maps/hkwnZWCWTg5R8NQx7

Elegance Dim Sum Cuisine on Leslie and 16th in Richmond Hill
Ends Apr 10th
https://goo.gl/maps/ATU6sUUgHKtGG6F56
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
24 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16712 posts
11447 upvotes
Markham
I ate at Fisherman place yesterday...good eats. Incredible how thin they got the wrappers. Place was full house and ppl waiting for tables.

I ate at Elegance last week. They have a $5 add-on for the Peking Duck and you get the Lettuce wrap dish. Also pretty full house IIRC.

Considering the duck at the grocery store is around that price, it's really good deal if you like Peking Duck like my family.

FYI Duck Breast is also on Sale at Costco - ends Apr 10th. $12.49 for 3 breasts.

Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4355 posts
1217 upvotes
West Side GTA
The price is great, how's the quality though? Will have to try them out as I've been to Yang's and Elegance (used to be RIchlane) and both were good places, but I can't recall ever ordering Peking Duck.

My goto place for Peking Duck now has been J & Y here https://g.page/JYChinese?share as I've found them to be consistently good on the thin cuts and the wrappers being super thin.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
3660 posts
2594 upvotes
-=phelan=- wrote: ↑ The price is great, how's the quality though? Will have to try them out as I've been to Yang's and Elegance (used to be RIchlane) and both were good places, but I can't recall ever ordering Peking Duck.

My goto place for Peking Duck now has been J & Y here https://g.page/JYChinese?share as I've found them to be consistently good on the thin cuts and the wrappers being super thin.
that's ironic, since the previous tenants specialized in peking duck. I wonder if it's previous staff from Peking man opening the J & Y. Their lobster is quite good too.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4355 posts
1217 upvotes
West Side GTA
evilYoda wrote: ↑ that's ironic, since the previous tenants specialized in peking duck. I wonder if it's previous staff from Peking man opening the J & Y. Their lobster is quite good too.
Actually I find J&Y lobster not the best for the price as it's fried for too long (or old oil was used). I still find the best lobster is the Fishman's Clubhouse if you're after the golden garlic fried lobster tower. If you're after the more traditional ginger/green onion/maggi sauce style, many places can do that well :) However, I'm still looking for a place that does the old school way of using black bean & garlic sauce (dying style imho and most places don't even have it on the menu!)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16712 posts
11447 upvotes
Markham
-=phelan=- wrote: ↑ The price is great, how's the quality though? Will have to try them out as I've been to Yang's and Elegance (used to be RIchlane) and both were good places, but I can't recall ever ordering Peking Duck.

The duck and wrappers at Fisherman was very good IMO. I was eating the leg and said to myself there's some good flavor in there. 2nd course is duck chopped up. I think they have the lettuce wrap dish for $extra - don't recall amount.

Elegance duck and wrappers was also good but they did not carve the duck in front of us and so I think some pieces may have gone to the "house". The plus for Elegance is the $5 deal for making the second course lettuce wrap dish.

If I had to choose I'd choose Fisherman especially since you've never had it there.

I've been to j&y and it's good but it's definitely not $20.

[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16712 posts
11447 upvotes
Markham
evilYoda wrote: ↑ that's ironic, since the previous tenants specialized in peking duck. I wonder if it's previous staff from Peking man opening the J & Y. Their lobster is quite good too.
Peking man actually reopened at Pacific Mall.

http://pekingman.ca/

[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16712 posts
11447 upvotes
Markham
yesstyle wrote: ↑ any deals there?
No idea. From what I've seen not busy at all as location is not easy to find in there.

Call and check date and when the deal ends.

I'm finding a lot of these restaurants are running these special like a loss leader to get ppl in. Eg SkyView Fusion was running the $4.99 bbq pork deal at lunch.

[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16712 posts
11447 upvotes
Markham
Forgot to mention Elegance also has a $10 squab deal but you can only get one deal per table

Sep 18, 2019
860 posts
753 upvotes
Thanks for the deal, OP. Book a table tomorrow at Fisherman
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
3660 posts
2594 upvotes
-=phelan=- wrote: ↑ Actually I find J&Y lobster not the best for the price as it's fried for too long (or old oil was used). I still find the best lobster is the Fishman's Clubhouse if you're after the golden garlic fried lobster tower. If you're after the more traditional ginger/green onion/maggi sauce style, many places can do that well :) However, I'm still looking for a place that does the old school way of using black bean & garlic sauce (dying style imho and most places don't even have it on the menu!)
probably you'll have to learn the recipe. A lot of the traditional lobster recipes found online are very close to restaurant quality. The sauces certainly are. How well someone deep fries the lobster pieces is the most important thing.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16712 posts
11447 upvotes
Markham
Sunway wrote: ↑ Thanks for the deal, OP. Book a table tomorrow at Fisherman
Post a review with your thoughts after you've tried it there. I thought it was very good.

[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16712 posts
11447 upvotes
Markham
-=phelan=- wrote: ↑ Actually I find J&Y lobster not the best for the price as it's fried for too long (or old oil was used). I still find the best lobster is the Fishman's Clubhouse if you're after the golden garlic fried lobster tower. If you're after the more traditional ginger/green onion/maggi sauce style, many places can do that well :) However, I'm still looking for a place that does the old school way of using black bean & garlic sauce (dying style imho and most places don't even have it on the menu!)
I think restaurants don't list/mention it on their menu because it's as you say old school and not ordered much. I'm pretty sure if you ask any restaurant that does lobster, they can do it for you if you ask for the dish as black bean garlic is still en vogue with clam/razor clams so they just change the protein.

This video shows the $19.99 peking duck special at Fisherman Lobster. In the same video, 7:30 mark she ordered the black bean garlic with clams so I'm sure they can do lobster. You can do the duck and your old school lobster in one meal!

[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16712 posts
11447 upvotes
Markham
evilYoda wrote: ↑ 13% service charge
Serving Peking Duck is worth way more than 13%.
You should tip 20% or more considering the duck is half price => half price x 26% is equal to full price x 13%.

Added to that Asian Restaurants are way cheaper than "Western" restaurants so we really should tip a higher percentage.