• Jun 14th, 2016 3:47 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 28, 2005
503 posts
447 upvotes

Are 20 year old stamps worth anything?

I have brand new Canada Post stamp sheets from 1995. I was just wondering if they are worth anything above their face value.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2014
1155 posts
97 upvotes
I would check them against ebay.com or ebay.ca just to see if they have any resale value.
Apr 13, 2010
549 posts
272 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
1995 was 20 years ago.....

:eek:
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4316 posts
1674 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
Postage-wise, they're worth face value. Of course, it'll probably take the entire book to mail a letter.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13547 posts
2345 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I have Trudeau stamps!
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2831 posts
2140 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
tivo_box wrote: I have brand new Canada Post stamp sheets from 1995. I was just wondering if they are worth anything above their face value.
As others have said, check eBay or otherwise search collection sites for ideas on prices. If they're full sheets in mint (or near mint) condition they could be worth a little more than face value. Or lot more depending on the actual stamps that they are.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1425 posts
180 upvotes
tivo_box wrote: I have brand new Canada Post stamp sheets from 1995. I was just wondering if they are worth anything above their face value.
If the stamp is good for one letter mailing, instead of the dollar amt, then it would be worth today's rate. i.e. If you bought the stamp when the Canadian postal rate was $0.20 and the same postal rate is $1.00 now, then it is worth $1 now.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4117 upvotes
Ottawa
Becks wrote: I have Trudeau stamps!
You mean these ones?

Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8656 posts
2354 upvotes
a_1_a wrote: If the stamp is good for one letter mailing, instead of the dollar amt, then it would be worth today's rate. i.e. If you bought the stamp when the Canadian postal rate was $0.20 and the same postal rate is $1.00 now, then it is worth $1 now.
There was no p stamps back then so they are only worth face value as postage. The vast majority of stamps that age won't even yield face value on ebay
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9125 posts
2751 upvotes
London
zoro69 wrote: There was no p stamps back then so they are only worth face value as postage. The vast majority of stamps that age won't even yield face value on ebay
I knew some people that would buy old uncancelled stamps for well below face value to use as regular postage.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1935 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto
Besides ebay, are there any other sites to check stamp values?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8656 posts
2354 upvotes
zero_ wrote: Besides ebay, are there any other sites to check stamp values?
bistart.com used to be stampwants. But pricing will be similar to ebay. Huge amounts of stamps hoarded that are now hitting the maret from estate sales, and zero young people interested in stamp collecting. And P stamps making it unecessary for low values ones to be added to mail a letter, and the huge rate increase in recent yars making it impossible to fit enough low value old ones on an envelope. Makes for very little demand unless they are somehow unusual and in perfect condition