• Apr 5th, 2020 9:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2008
1250 posts
46 upvotes
Markham

2003 Camry brake problem

Hello all! I hope you guys can help me diagnose a problem. After not driving my Camry for a week I decided to go out for a spin. I got the usual squeky sounds from the rusty rotor from being parked outside but there was a new problem. Whenever I depress the brake pedal all the way the car will be a buzzing sound like a pump being dry and the car would jolt forward a bit then stop. It only happens when the pedal is all the way to the ground.

I've checked the brake fluid and it looks full. If you guys know what the problem may be I would really appreciate it.
8 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11279 posts
3027 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
How long did you drive the car for? Sometimes it takes some time to clean off all the rust from the rotors? Also sometimes you need to do a couple of very hard braking stops to clean it all off.
themagekiler wrote: Hello all! I hope you guys can help me diagnose a problem. After not driving my Camry for a week I decided to go out for a spin. I got the usual squeky sounds from the rusty rotor from being parked outside but there was a new problem. Whenever I depress the brake pedal all the way the car will be a buzzing sound like a pump being dry and the car would jolt forward a bit then stop. It only happens when the pedal is all the way to the ground.

I've checked the brake fluid and it looks full. If you guys know what the problem may be I would really appreciate it.
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2008
1250 posts
46 upvotes
Markham
I'll do a couple more hard brakes to see but its more of a buzzing pump sound and the surging forward part that makes me think it not rusty rotors.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35535 posts
21594 upvotes
Center of Universe
themagekiler wrote: I'll do a couple more hard brakes to see but its more of a buzzing pump sound and the surging forward part that makes me think it not rusty rotors.
Take it out for a good 20min drive.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2013
2011 posts
919 upvotes
Moon
themagekiler wrote: I'll do a couple more hard brakes to see but its more of a buzzing pump sound and the surging forward part that makes me think it not rusty rotors.
Nice to know I am not the only driving this car :D.

It happens all the time, like you have suggested, all you need to stop a bit to burn off the rust. How many KMs do you have it, if you dont mind me asking.
Koodo, Public Mobile, Lucky Mobile Customer
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2008
1250 posts
46 upvotes
Markham
kangarooz wrote: Nice to know I am not the only driving this car :D.

It happens all the time, like you have suggested, all you need to stop a bit to burn off the rust. How many KMs do you have it, if you dont mind me asking.
Its not too bad at 215k km but it was used for mostly short trips by my parents prior to me owning it.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4092 posts
4221 upvotes
GTA
Sounds like there's a problem with the ABS, and it's turning on when it shouldn't be.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2008
1250 posts
46 upvotes
Markham
derass wrote: Sounds like there's a problem with the ABS, and it's turning on when it shouldn't be.
now that you mention it my abs light has been on for a long time. I've ignored it so i'll take a look at that thank you
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4092 posts
4221 upvotes
GTA
I had the same problem with my GM pickup truck. Scared the hell out of me the first time it happened. I thought I was going to crash into the car ahead of me because it wasn't stopping properly.

I temporarily removed the ABS fuse to disable the system entirely so that it wouldn't happen again. And then I think it was replacing a worn-out front wheel bearing that fixed the problem. It was the bearing that was worn out, but the ABS wheel sensor is built into the bearing and I guess it got damaged too.

The Camry is probably different though.