• Aug 7th, 2017 10:37 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 9, 2008
429 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto

2004 VW golf $400

Needs catalytic converter, e break, and bushing. Seems like a good winter beater. I am tempted, what do you think? Will it be ok for winter if I put $500 to fx issues
Last edited by elkhaze on Aug 5th, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2014
1041 posts
867 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Should be fine as long as you put a set of winter tires on it
Please respond
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19741 posts
23159 upvotes
GTA
elkhaze wrote: Needs catalytic converter, e break, and bushing. Seems like a good winter beater. I am tempted, what do you think? Will it be ok for winter if I put $500 to fx issues
Sounds like more than $500 to fix, unless you do it yourself.
If a shop does the work, I would guess $500 for cat, $400 for ebrake replacement, if bushing means several suspension bushings, then that's another $500. So now you're at $2k to just fix the issues you know about. Cat died for a reason, , so you might soon need new O2 sensors, injectors, spark plugs/coils, fuel filter, etc.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15131 upvotes
engineered wrote: Sounds like more than $500 to fix, unless you do it yourself, with scrapyard parts[/i].

;) A new cat alone is going to cost that much, as you indicate. Also the ad seems quite suspect. So the "engine light came on recently" but all of a sudden it's a bad cat, just at the time the seller went to sell the car? Yeah right. Light's probably been on for a year, with bad cat as long. Basically some time since it's last e-test until now...unless there's no e-testing where OP lives, in which case who knows how long. Plus if they're passing off that "little tidbit" in such fashion, imagine what else they're not telling you?

However for $400 you cannot complain. The car looks like it's worth way more than that, problems aside. I just don't think you'll be fixing it for less than 3x the amount the car's going to cost you.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2012
1844 posts
488 upvotes
TORONTO
Plenty of fishes in the sea. Find another one. You can easily find $1000 cars that are ready to go as winter beaters that don't need much work.
[OP]
Dec 9, 2008
429 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks guys. I think you guys are right, but was curious. I got it for $360 + free tow to my driveway.
Engine and transmission seems good.

I will run Lacquer thinner in it and see if it helps clear the check engine light. If that does not help, then will take it to a shop, to fix if reasonable. Otherwise will sell as is or parts.

I can do some parts replacement myself, except for power train and exhaust. Will keep you posted on the project.
[OP]
Dec 9, 2008
429 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
Sold car to a mechainc for $375. Car showed 9 error codes(catalytic converter, cam shaft sensor, cooling system, missfire on all banks, ...), so sold it before registering and paying taxes.

Lesson never trust seller. I bought without scanning codes, as I could not find my scanner.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19741 posts
23159 upvotes
GTA
elkhaze wrote: never trust seller.
:facepalm:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.