• Jun 23rd, 2020 10:20 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9170 posts
3427 upvotes

2005 300C, low kms.

My Neighbor just got a new (ish) CTS, so while looking at it with him this morning, I commented his driveway and garage are over flowing. He has an older Vette and Mustang in the garage year round. He laugh and said he is going to sell the 300C. Now, I have had a liking for these cars since my wife and I ( long before we were married) rented on while on vacation and loved it) We have talked about this car before, and I know as a snow bird it is stored all winter and even before he bought if 4 or 5 years ago, it was barely driven and stored indoors by the original owner. It is super clean inside and out, and just rolled 100k kms a month ago he said.

I asked how much? He said he would be asking $6k certified, but needs to fix the AC first. He noted he just had the tranny fully serviced and the brakes are new this spring. I told him I would talk to the boss lady tonight and get back to him.

I will try to snap a couple pictures tonight if I get a chance.

What do you think? Terrible idea? I know it is Chrysler, but the hemi is solid and kms are low. I am sure there is a few good years of life left in this, car and I really have always liked them.

It is the AWD model too, which is nice.
48 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
44656 posts
7750 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
They don't have the best track record for reliability...
But if you like it that much, the price aint bad at all if it comes certified with the AC fixed up. Especially since its the 300C model with AWD, its a higher trim.
This would be more of a 'cool vehicle you always wanted' type purchase.

I just looked over VMR.... says here REtail value $5700 and wholesale value $4050
Maybe shoot for $5k ?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5288 posts
2848 upvotes
Toronto
My 03 Maxima with 69k kms bought new for $45k is starting to develop leaks all over. Just replaced oil cooler gasket, power steering hose clamp. But I think all the hoses including coolant will be busted soon. Outer hose looks okay but inside the hose has cracks!

Point is, unless the 300c is made bulletproof with high grade braided hoses all round, it will to start to degrade soon.

I would avoid buying old car. Unless you need a winter beater. Most you should offer is $2000 based on age of the car.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2789 posts
2059 upvotes
Toronto
Front end suspension in these vehicles is costly and the weakest point of the car requiring overhaul every few years.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
4495 posts
1173 upvotes
14 year old Chrysler car for 6K think not . Just for reliability issues alone .

Spend a bit more and get a newer car .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9170 posts
3427 upvotes
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Keep in mind, I don't need a car, mine is perfectly fine and 9 years newer. This is more or a "always wanted one" kind of idea. I am fine with general maintenance upkeep on this vehicle, and my first move would be to take it to my trusted mechanic and ask for the cost to get everything good to go, and after that. Road side assistance would take care of the unforeseeable.

Here are some quick pics, it was raining and I wanted to hide their plate. Can't see inside but I can promise it is cleaner that my Sentra.
Images
  • IMG_20190512_151910.jpg
  • IMG_20190512_151915.jpg
  • IMG_20190512_151923.jpg
  • MVIMG_20190512_151931.jpg
  • IMG_20190512_151902.jpg
Apr 22, 2019
133 posts
68 upvotes
I have a friend with a 2007 300C and has had it since new, he’s really enjoyed it and hasn’t run into too many major issues outside of general maintenance and some general front end suspension work.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8598 posts
5467 upvotes
Kootenays
I rented one in '05, hemi with RWD, IIRC. What I do remember is the 12 mpg I got over about 400 kms of mixed driving!
Last edited by smacd on May 12th, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 3, 2013
127 posts
47 upvotes
Vancouver
smacd wrote: I rented one in '05, hemi with FWD, IIRC. What I do remember is the 12 mpg I got over about 400 kms of mixed driving!
You mean RWD.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
8946 posts
10132 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
New Amherst?

To be honest I’d probably go for it, considering it sounds like you have a liking for these cars. The Hemi plus AWD is a coveted set of options and when combined with the low KMs and sounds like good care was taken. Not an easy thing to replicate!

I’ve always been a fan of the body style on these cars myself.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4632 upvotes
Montreal
You should know better not to bother asking about a car such as this in here a forum of domestic haters and EV fanboys claiming low gas mileage. If you like the car and it checks out with your mechanic I would definitely go for it. Looks very clean and well taken care of not owned by a pig. Very rare for a used car over 12 years. Do it.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2789 posts
2059 upvotes
Toronto
Beamerguy28 wrote: I have a friend with a 2007 300C and has had it since new, he’s really enjoyed it and hasn’t run into too many major issues outside of general maintenance and some general front end suspension work.
Are you sure it was general front end suspension work?

All my friends who have had cars built on that chassis have had serious suspension issues. One friend had to overhaul the front twice within 5 years of each other, his mechanic commented how it was a common issue on the 300, magnum, and a few others I believe.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2789 posts
2059 upvotes
Toronto
ottofly wrote: You should know better not to bother asking about a car such as this in here a forum of domestic haters and EV fanboys claiming low gas mileage. If you like the car and it checks out with your mechanic I would definitely go for it. Looks very clean and well taken care of not owned by a pig. Very rare for a used car over 12 years. Do it.
This kind of advice is terrible, the car doesn't have to be owned by someone who treats it terribly for it to have a serious design flaw.

If the OP likes it, and he now knows what the issues are and still go for it that's great! He just came on here to make an informed decision.

Don't let your preconceived notions about the forum and some members cloud giving sound advice.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
3465 posts
2114 upvotes
Kitchener
Get your ladies permission and have your mechanic look over it. See if he's willing to price it out a little lower.

Even at $6,000, if you can get 5 years out of PLUS some maintenance costs, you still might be looking a fairly low cost of ownership, plus you have the car you always wanted.
Why can't we all just get along?
Apr 3, 2013
127 posts
47 upvotes
Vancouver
I had a 2006 Charger, clunk from front suspension is very common, ball joints, tie rods, strut end links and finally tension struts fixed the noise.
It's not too costly to fix if you're mechanically inclined but adds up very quickly in labor cost if you take it to a garage.
Bought new and the first 5 years of ownership paid over $1000 in just suspension issues.
Oct 21, 2006
597 posts
358 upvotes
if it's my money I would go rent a new 300C for a week and get it out of my "system". The car might be 5-6k to buy but there are lasting expenses like repairs and insurance.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3840 upvotes
IMO parked not used 12 year old car is worse than driven 12 year old car.

I have a 07 civic with the same mileage, 100k and it was driven regularly. Yet is has still developed plenty of problems, mostly related to the shit design and construction.

Check carcomplaints.com and see where this 300C stands and go from there

EDIT:

Well, I did the search for you. year 2005, stay away from it
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Chrysler/300C/

Not as bad as 2006, but probably exact same design and 2005 was the first year of production so probably less people bought it that year, hence less complaints.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11638 posts
2142 upvotes
Toronto
These are great roadtrip cars.

My mid-life crisis, reasonably attainable car is actually a 95 or 96 Impala SS Cherry metalic. Still retails for about 6K in basic condition. If you have the money, and don't mind, just make an offer that's a bit lower, and make sure to get the AC fixed if you plan on driving it a fair amount in the summer. If it's a cruising car and money (and space!) is not tight, I say go for it.