• Jul 20th, 2020 1:20 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada

2005 Corolla creaking sound?

My 2005 Toyota Corolla (only 130,000 kms) started creaking recently. Noise is coming from the rear. But only when backing out of the driveway and at very, very slow speeds. No creaking sound when regular driving or when braking. Front and rear brakes are all new. Otherwise the car drives perfect.

Any idea what this could be? Some initial research says it might be the rear sway bar bushings.
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
I wouldn't worry at this point. If it only happens when you first back out the rubber bushings are cold. If it starts happening a yhe time then i would get it checked.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
4101 posts
6125 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Could be a lot of things. Rear subframe bushings, upper shock mounts, lower shock mounts. Original suspension? Can't be surprised things are starting to wear out.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41798 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
Buy a can of rust proof and spray all bushings and boots and go from there.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18020 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
I would take it to your mechanic to get the things checked out. After 15 years, it could be bushings or a number of other things. The key would be to focus on the safety element vs. the noise. If things look OK and there is just an odd sound, I would live with it as it is expected from a 15 year old vehicle.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
hightech wrote: I would take it to your mechanic to get the things checked out. After 15 years, it could be bushings or a number of other things. The key would be to focus on the safety element vs. the noise. If things look OK and there is just an odd sound, I would live with it as it is expected from a 15 year old vehicle.
Car was fully inspected by my mechanic 10 months ago and his assessment was that the car is in great condition. Having said that, since it's a 15 year old car I plan on getting a full inspection yearly now, so my mechanic will be taking a look at it again in a month or two. My guess is it's probably bushings somewhere that need grease/replacing, so I'll ask him to keep an eye out for that when he does his inspection.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
Could be anything after 10 months of driving over pot holes. Imo, your car after 15 years will continue to loose screw or two, just keep driving and do your regular maintenance and no need to spend extra on inspections where anyone can find rusted or worn components to replace and make money on.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1085 posts
900 upvotes
could very well be the rear sway bar bushings, good news is they are cheap and easy to replace
Jun 21, 2006
860 posts
502 upvotes
if the brakes were just replaced sometimes the quality of the aftermarket drums would cause that noise
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
iGarage wrote: if the brakes were just replaced sometimes the quality of the aftermarket drums would cause that noise
Great point because the rear brakes were just replaced the last time the car was inspected 10 months ago.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
lol 2005 Corolla and Rear sway bar...
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
tebore wrote: lol 2005 Corolla and Rear sway bar...
What's so funny? They have a rear sway bar.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
gbill2004 wrote: What's so funny? They have a rear sway bar.
No
No they don't.

They have a torsion beam suspension. Good luck changing out sway bar bushings. First you gotta find them.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
gbill2004 wrote: Scroll down and you'll see the rear sway bar for 2005 Corolla: https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/p ... rolla_2005.
Yeh... no
That's an aftermarket bar.
Your car didn't come with that stock.

Half those parts won't even fit the Corolla, it's just random parts listings.

Trust me I had a 2007 Matrix AWD. Which is just a Better Corolla hatch that was. The AWD Matrix was the closest thing to a Corolla having a real rear sway bar.

It definitely doesn't have bushings.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
So I did a little more research and sounds like it could be seized caliper pins. Apparently this occurs when the rear brakes are replaced and not enough, or the incorrect grease is placed on the calipers. My rear brakes were replaced 10 months ago.

I'll be taking my car for inspection in a week to the same shop that replaced the brakes last year. If this is the issue, what are the odds the shop admits their mistake and replaces the calipers for free?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41798 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
gbill2004 wrote: So I did a little more research and sounds like it could be seized caliper pins. Apparently this occurs when the rear brakes are replaced and not enough, or the incorrect grease is placed on the calipers. My rear brakes were replaced 10 months ago.

I'll be taking my car for inspection in a week to the same shop that replaced the brakes last year. If this is the issue, what are the odds the shop admits their mistake and replaces the calipers for free?
From 10 months ago?
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4615 posts
3080 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: From 10 months ago?
Most places offer 1 year parts and labor guarantee. Unless OP supplied the parts then it is nadda.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
cristianosham wrote: Most places offer 1 year parts and labor guarantee. Unless OP supplied the parts then it is nadda.
Probably not on a rust bucket. Body and the calipers are probably all red/brown and it's easy to point finger that rusted caliper bracket cause the pads to not move. No tech in right mind is willing to spend hours cleaning out the rust on brake components. Apply anti seize and send her home.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)