Automotive

2005 Corolla Transmission Fluid Drain & Fill?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2019 11:31 am
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada

2005 Corolla Transmission Fluid Drain & Fill?

I’ve got a 2005 Toyota Corolla with 130k kms on it. I just had it inspected, and the car is in great shape. The transmission fluid has never been changed, and the mechanic who inspected my car suggested that I get a drain and fill since the transmission fluid is dark. I’ve done some research on this and there are varying opinions on whether I need the fluid changed. Some say never do it, some say at 160k kms (100k miles), some say earlier. Cost would be around $90 for the fluid and labour. Thoughts?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
alanbrenton wrote: Honda recommends fill and drain thrice to get at least 80% (maybe up to 90% but I forgot the actual %) of the fluid replaced. I was prompted by the dealership for a single fill and drain a little more than a year ago based on Honda Maintenance Minder.

I think it's about time to do that on yours.. Maybe do twice fill and drain?

I just used a Mityvac to suck out the fluid, pour new one, drive it around a few days, and repeat three times. I already had the ATF from 2017 and was procrastinating to get it replaced. I didn't bother taking the plastic cover underneath the drain as it was held in place by at least 8 plugs and I already had a Mityvac so went the lazy way.

There are synthetic and semi-synthetic ATF, maybe better to go with full synthetic.
How many kms were on your car when you had it done? I'm wondering if it's urgent for me of if it can wait another year or so.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
alanbrenton wrote: I think around 110-115k. It's now at 135k.

It can definitely wait if the transmission is shifting smooth. My Accord's transmission wasn't jerky but still just got it done, along with other fluids.

For my older 02 Civic, I just changed all the fluids (coolant, brake, MT, P/S) in the spring. I don't think the MT or P/S fluid was ever changed at all lol. Mityvac all the way.
Is it all about kms with the tranny fluid, or does age matter as well? It's an 05 Corolla so going on 15 years.

But yes, the transmission shifts very smooth; zero issues. Is it best to wait for an issue or replace the fluid as a preventative step?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
alanbrenton wrote: I think you have your mind set to defer it to another year, based on your earlier post.

You paid $5k for the car at most so I wouldn't worry to much about the ATF. You can make 5-10% on that $90 + tax. :)

In my case, I learned an ounce of prevention is better/cheaper than a pound of cure. Especially for something I can easily do on the driveway.
Huh? I bought the car brand new in 2005 and paid over $20,000 for it.

And I have my mind set on nothing; that's why I'm here asking questions to obtain feedback so I can make an informed decision.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
alanbrenton wrote: You: I'm wondering if it's urgent for me of if it can wait another year or so.
Me: is transmission shifting smoothly?
You: Yes
Me: then wait a year or so if you don't want to spend $90++
Where did I say I have my mind set on deferring another year, as you stated?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
alanbrenton wrote: I copied your post verbatim.

Man, get a life. Good bye.
Yes and nowhere there did I say or suggest I was "set" on anything. Good bye.

Anyone with actual automotive knowledge in here who can offer some useful advice?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
hightech wrote: Depending on the Toyota dealership, mine offers a complete fluid exchange which I opt for. It costs about 2x the cost of a drain and fill but you do get most of the fluid out.
That is called a "flush" and I read that is not recommended for older cars like mine where the transmission fluid has never been replaced.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Wow, talk about frugality.

Might as well defer all maintenance items above $90 indefinitely :)

This is best posted on the Personal Finance forum lol.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18180 posts
14182 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote: Wow, talk about frugality.

Might as well defer all maintenance items above $90 indefinitely :)

This is best posted on the Personal Finance forum lol.
Mr. 50K posts providing valuable contributions to a thread once again.

:facepalm:
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
Swerny wrote: Mr. 50K posts providing valuable contributions to a thread once again.

:facepalm:
Ya no kidding, who is this loser? He says "goodbye", then deletes his post and keeps on posting in this thread.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18180 posts
14182 upvotes
Toronto
gbill2004 wrote: That is called a "flush" and I read that is not recommended for older cars like mine where the transmission fluid has never been replaced.
I have read that as well, that you are better off not doing that on an older car it hasn't been done before.

I would do a basic drain and fill and maybe repeat it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
If you haven't got it done in last 10 years, why bother now.

Doesn't sound like you maintain you car, just run it into the ground or when your tranny blows up, which ever comes first.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
peteryorkuca wrote: If you haven't got it done in last 10 years, why bother now.

Doesn't sound like you maintain you car, just run it into the ground or when your tranny blows up, which ever comes first.
Great feedback troll, thanks. Several mechanics recommend getting the fluid changed at 100k miles, which I am not even at yet. Toyota says the fluid is good for the life of the vehicle. So yes I do maintain my car, thank you very much. That's why after the recent inspection, the mechanic said it's in great condition after 15 years.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
gbill2004 wrote: Great feedback troll, thanks. Several mechanics recommend getting the fluid changed at 100k miles, which I am not even at yet. Toyota says the fluid is good for the life of the vehicle. So yes I do maintain my car, thank you very much. That's why after the recent inspection, the mechanic said it's in great condition after 15 years.
Several people recommended you something, either do it or not do it. Nothing troll about it.

I bet you, you acted like this towards even to the mechanics because you didn't like the answer given.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39338 posts
6341 upvotes
Winnipeg
gbill2004 wrote: Huh? I bought the car brand new in 2005 and paid over $20,000 for it.

And I have my mind set on nothing; that's why I'm here asking questions to obtain feedback so I can make an informed decision.
you need more than drain and fill, you need a flush, however some people recommended that older vehicle should not get a pressurized flush.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18020 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
gbill2004 wrote: That is called a "flush" and I read that is not recommended for older cars like mine where the transmission fluid has never been replaced.
Good point. You could do a few drain and fills as that might be safer.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39338 posts
6341 upvotes
Winnipeg
gbill2004 wrote: Great feedback troll, thanks. Several mechanics recommend getting the fluid changed at 100k miles, which I am not even at yet. Toyota says the fluid is good for the life of the vehicle. So yes I do maintain my car, thank you very much. That's why after the recent inspection, the mechanic said it's in great condition after 15 years.
some manufacturer recommends the atf filter is good for life time but their definition of life time is the warranty period heh, so they can sell you another vehicle after yours break, they are pretty smart
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39338 posts
6341 upvotes
Winnipeg
hightech wrote: Good point. You could do a few drain and fills as that might be safer.
i'm not really sure if that is the case